'Warp drive' may be more feasible than thought, scientists say

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
A warp drive to achieve faster-than-light travel — a concept popularized in television's Star Trek — may not be as unrealistic as once thought, scientists say.
A warp drive would manipulate space-time itself to move a starship, taking advantage of a loophole in the laws of physics that prevent anything from moving faster than light . A concept for a real-life warp drive was suggested in 1994 by Mexican physicist Miguel Alcubierre, however subsequent calculations found that such a device would require prohibitive amounts of energy.

Now physicists say that adjustments can be made to the proposed warp drive that would enable it to run on significantly less energy, potentially brining the idea back from the realm of science fiction into science.

"There is hope," Harold "Sonny" White of NASA's Johnson Space Center said here Friday (Sept. 14) at the 100 Year Starship Symposium , a meeting to discuss the challenges of interstellar spaceflight.

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
jobberone;4736013 said:
A warp drive to achieve faster-than-light travel — a concept popularized in television's Star Trek — may not be as unrealistic as once thought, scientists say.
A warp drive would manipulate space-time itself to move a starship, taking advantage of a loophole in the laws of physics that prevent anything from moving faster than light . A concept for a real-life warp drive was suggested in 1994 by Mexican physicist Miguel Alcubierre, however subsequent calculations found that such a device would require prohibitive amounts of energy.

Now physicists say that adjustments can be made to the proposed warp drive that would enable it to run on significantly less energy, potentially brining the idea back from the realm of science fiction into science.

"There is hope," Harold "Sonny" White of NASA's Johnson Space Center said here Friday (Sept. 14) at the 100 Year Starship Symposium , a meeting to discuss the challenges of interstellar spaceflight.

Captain_Picard_full_of_win.jpg

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
SaltwaterServr;4736035 said:

Love that show. I finally took it off my record series list because I had seen them enough.

Je ne parle pas francais.

How is it over there right now?

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
jobberone;4736045 said:
Love that show. I finally took it off my record series list because I had seen them enough.

Je ne parle pas francais.

How is it over there right now?

In Fort Worth? Nice.

My avatar is Victor Hugo, hence a play on him (pardon the obvious pun) is setting my location to Digne, France.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
SaltwaterServr;4736053 said:
In Fort Worth? Nice.

My avatar is Victor Hugo, hence a play on him (pardon the obvious pun) is setting my location to Digne, France.

Ok, my bad. I've only read two of his works. I used to be able to read French but not anymore.

CliffnDallas

Reaction score
One day Man will sail the gulf between the stars. As our ancestors once braved the seemingly unending seas.