Warren Moon: Justin Blackmon is Dez Bryant 'with all of his brain cells'

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
JON MACHOTA
Special Contributor
jmachota@***BANNED-URL***

Oklahoma State star wide receiver Justin Blackmon is skipping his senior year and entering the 2012 NFL Draft. Blackmon's decision wasn't much of surprise considering he caught 38 touchdown passes over the last two seasons while totaling 3,304 receiving yards. However, what is surprising is how hall of fame quarterback Warren Moon compared Blackmon to former OSU receiver Dez Bryant during a recent radio interview.

"He’s a beast, isn’t he? He’s like Dez Bryant with all of his brain cells," Moon told KIRO-AM 710 in Seattle. "He’s a guy that has all those skills that Dez Bryant has but he’s not the knucklehead that Dez Bryant has turned out to be with Dallas. And a much better route runner than Dez Bryant is, but a very tremendous talent."

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sports/...s-dez-bryant-with-all-of-his-brain-cells-.ece

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;4360987 said:
I've never seen everyone so sure of someone's route running before

Blackmon's routes are "get open."

People will be surprised how similar they are.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
blackmon makes dez look like a jag.

plain and simple.

blackmon is the closest thing to a young terrell owens i've ever seen...

freaking horse...

Reaction score
lane;4361048 said:
blackmon makes dez look like a jag.

plain and simple.

blackmon is the closest thing to a young terrell owens i've ever seen...

freaking horse...

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

rantanamo

Reaction score
Blackmon is smaller, slower, and has lesser hands than Dez and WAS just as much of a knucklehead on the field. Seems to be a more humble cat off the field though as he had to work his way into what he is. I also say that because he seemed to change after the UT and A&M games where he was kind of hotdogging it with weird fumbles. Could see him becoming a Steve Smith type receiver. Very tough, hard worker and will go get the ball. Just not a Dez like physical specimen but may well put up better numbers and be a star in the league before Dez realizes what the heck is going on.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
Let's wait until he has played a season or two in the NFL. Lots of players are stars in the NFL and turn out to be nothing in the NFL. Not saying he will, but to compare folks is just silly.

Dez Bryant had almost a thousand yards and 9 TD's in his 2nd year. Not even close to being a bust. He will get better, he has proved he can play in the NFL. Blackmon will get his chance this year.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
rantanamo;4361108 said:
Blackmon is smaller, slower, and has lesser hands than Dez and WAS just as much of a knucklehead on the field. Seems to be a more humble cat off the field though as he had to work his way into what he is. I also say that because he seemed to change after the UT and A&M games where he was kind of hotdogging it with weird fumbles. Could see him becoming a Steve Smith type receiver. Very tough, hard worker and will go get the ball. Just not a Dez like physical specimen but may well put up better numbers and be a star in the league before Dez realizes what the heck is going on.

How exactly is Dez not humble? The guy NEVER complains about not getting the ball, happiest player on the field when his teammate scores and seems to be well-liked by his teammates.
Dez is going to explode next year.

revospeed

Reaction score
I watched them both pretty extensively and I'd say that Blackmon is definitely the more polished WR but Dez is more explosive and is definitely faster. Blackmon is also the more proven prospect, he's had two amazing seasons (one where he was constantly doubled) while Dez only had one amazing season. I'd be happy with either one of these two.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Blackmon is a darn good WR. I definately think he's got the chance, much like Dez, to be something very special in this league.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Agree with those who say Blackmon isn't nearly the physical specimen that Dez is.

And while you hate to compare any WR to TO (because he isn't that gifted), he does have some of that TO-like energy and emotion like TO... I don't mean on the sidelines, but when he catches the ball. He plays pissed off like the TO of his prime used to.

Actually, although their body types aren't the same, he might remind me a little of Steve Smith.

RS12

Reaction score
DBOY3141;4361160 said:
Let's wait until he has played a season or two in the NFL. Lots of players are stars in the NFL and turn out to be nothing in the NFL. Not saying he will, but to compare folks is just silly.

Dez Bryant had almost a thousand yards and 9 TD's in his 2nd year. Not even close to being a bust. He will get better, he has proved he can play in the NFL. Blackmon will get his chance this year.

Ya, imagine how much better Dez could be if he bothered learning the play book.

revospeed

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4361536 said:
Agree with those who say Blackmon isn't nearly the physical specimen that Dez is.

And while you hate to compare any WR to TO (because he isn't that gifted), he does have some of that TO-like energy and emotion like TO... I don't mean on the sidelines, but when he catches the ball. He plays pissed off like the TO of his prime used to.

Actually, although their body types aren't the same, he might remind me a little of Steve Smith.

Blackmon being 6'1 and 215 lbs sounds more like TO than 5'9 (?) 185lbs Steve Smith.

Phrozen Phil

Reaction score
As much as Warren Moon had a fine career as a QB, I'm not sure I'd use hime as a character reference. He has his own, more serious "knucklehead" moments (domestic violence) and should rethink throwing rocks at anyone else.:rolleyes:

Both players have great talent and I'm sure that somebody's going to like throwing to each of them.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
revospeed;4361554 said:
Blackmon being 6'1 and 215 lbs sounds more like TO than 5'9 (?) 185lbs Steve Smith.

Hence why I said that their body styles aren't the same.

I wouldn't compare him to TO because I don't think he's a HOF-type talent.

revospeed

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4361802 said:
Hence why I said that their body styles aren't the same.

I wouldn't compare him to TO because I don't think he's a HOF-type talent.

I think you can compare him to TO. He plays a lot like TO, he's physically similar and has the same playing style as TO. You could say the same thing about Dez. I'm not saying that they're as good as TO, just that they have similarities, more so than Steve smith.

EchoBrain22

beWaredizzle
Reaction score
What's worse? A kid who served an NCAA suspension for lying to NCAA officials about a meeting with Deion and is going through some growing pains managing his finances. Or a guy who beats on his wife and drives around drunk?

And Dez is the one missing brain cells?