Was Cruz's 2nd TD incomplete?

links18

Reaction score
It all depends on whether the receiver going to the ground was part of the act of catching the pass or not. It has nothing to do with elbows being down or what not.

NinePointOh

Reaction score
at 15 seconds, the ref is in front of CJ. you can't see his knee or elbow

Are you kidding? Just let the video run then. If it's not blatantly obvious to you that Johnson's knee goes down at 15 seconds, you might need a physics lesson.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I don't particularly care whether it's the fault of the refs or the competition committee. Why should I?

I am not suggesting you should do anything. But the league wanted points because the fans wanted points. Thus rules have been instituted which allow the advantage to the offensive players in the passing game. However, there are some of those rules which has such a gray area that are left for interpretation.

This is one example.

NinePointOh

Reaction score
I am not suggesting you should do anything. But the league wanted points because the fans wanted points. Thus rules have been instituted which allow the advantage to the offensive players in the passing game. However, there are some of those rules which has such a gray area that are left for interpretation.

This is one example.

I'm not sure what your point is then. It's not okay to expect consistent application of the rules, and be unhappy when the application is inconsistent? Wherever the fault lies, the result is still problematic.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
You may expect what you like.

The facts are the rules are such that human error will occur. They were designed by the league and if the league had a concern, they would rectify them.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I felt it was a TD cruz caught it the extended it over the goal line as soon as it went over the white line it was a TD.

aikemirv

Reaction score

Did anybody else question if the 2nd Cruz TD was incomplete? I think I remember either last season or the year before that, Megatron scoring a TD @ Chicago but it was ruled incomplete because he lost control after the act of catching, controlling, and crossing the plane. Then, you have today where you have similar cases, but a disparity between calls. Any thoughts?

The question is were both of them going to the ground on the catch. If they both were going to the ground they have to maintain control through the catch. CJ was definitely going to the ground on the catch, by rule his is incomplete. Cruz is questionable as to whether he was going to the ground with the catch so I think that one is just a matter of opinion - I can see it both ways.

The first 2 TDs by Cruz were missed blatant holding calls and I am getting sick of it. We get a holding called and a 1/2 second WR screen pass and they hook and grab all night and get 1 holding call - it was absurd!

85Cowboy85

Reaction score

This is what Pereira had to say. I'm not sure I'm buying it. If Cruz's stretch meant he completed the catch then Johnson's stretch should have as well.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
The question is were both of them going to the ground on the catch. If they both were going to the ground they have to maintain control through the catch. CJ was definitely going to the ground on the catch, by rule his is incomplete. Cruz is questionable as to whether he was going to the ground with the catch so I think that one is just a matter of opinion - I can see it both ways.

The first 2 TDs by Cruz were missed blatant holding calls and I am getting sick of it. We get a holding called and a 1/2 second WR screen pass and they hook and grab all night and get 1 holding call - it was absurd!

How is it questionable? He was almost down when he got his 2nd foot down... there is no question he was going to the ground with the catch. It was caused by the defender hitting him, but that is irrelevant.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
you are right. So I am arguing against the rule. I believe in the field of play, it should be a fumble, but the end zone should made it an instant touchdown and it is not possible to fumble after a touchdown.

and I would say most agree. our eyes say TD and and our common sense says TD, but the rule is quite clear that it's an incompletion. So my question is, how was it not even reviewed?

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score

This is what Pereira had to say. I'm not sure I'm buying it. If Cruz's stretch meant he completed the catch then Johnson's stretch should have as well.

I don't either, he caught it in the air and dropped it upon hitting the ground. Seems pretty straight forward to me.

Kevinicus

Reaction score

He's wrong. He has to maintain possession through the entire process of going to the ground in order to complete the catch, he did not do so. It's pretty black and white.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I "think" it was the right call on the TD. I am more concerned with him not getting penalized on his celebrations. If it is a rule now, then call it. Should not be left for discretion of the refs. Who are they to decide when it is acceptable or not? It will affect a game soon enough.

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
and I would say most agree. our eyes say TD and and our common sense says TD, but the rule is quite clear that it's an incompletion. So my question is, how was it not even reviewed?

Cruz was down with his elbow prior to the ball coming lose.

That alone makes this different then the CJ play.

Watch the video again. It is clear the ball crosses the plain, and the elbow is down before the ball ever hits the ground and comes lose.

So it probably was reviewed, but was confirmed correctly as a touch down.

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
He's wrong. He has to maintain possession through the entire process of going to the ground in order to complete the catch, he did not do so. It's pretty black and white.

his elbow hit the ground while he still had control and the ball was past the goal line.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score

Watch the video again. It is clear the ball crosses the plain, and the elbow is down before the ball ever hits the ground and comes lose.

So it probably was reviewed, but was confirmed correctly as a touch down.

I agree with what you're saying, but if the rule says if they catch the ball in the air, they have to control it through the whole process, I still think Cruz was still in the process of falling, since he was still moving.

And if you watch the megatron catch closely, his elbow hits the ground, but the ball doesn't move until a split second later when the ball comes in contact with the ground.

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
I agree with what you're saying, but if the rule says if they catch the ball in the air, they have to control it through the whole process, I still think Cruz was still in the process of falling, since he was still moving.

And if you watch the megatron catch closely, his elbow hits the ground, but the ball doesn't move until a split second later when the ball comes in contact with the ground.

I couldn't tell for sure if CJ was touched by a viking player. it looks like he probably was, but with the angle, I couldn't be sure.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

None of that matters. If he was going to the ground during the catch (which I believe he was), then he has to maintain possession all the way through going down: doesn't matter at all when or where his body touches down. I was screaming at the TV to have that one reviewed. Thought it was pretty clearly a no-catch.

pugilist

Stick N Move
Reaction score
for those wondering why Cruz was not penalized for his salsa dance celebrations:

as long as the celebration(s) is not directed at a certain player, group of players, or coach(es) to imply taunting then it is not a penalty

pugilist

Stick N Move
Reaction score

um no Mike, in no way, shape, or form is Cruz a "runner" after simply turning around and then stretching. that is a completely absurd explanation of the rule which he is correct on