Was Romo's phone broken on draft day?

dannyz

Reaction score
Isn't it true that several NFL teams tried to contact Romo on draft day in 2003, but that his phone was broken because he dropped it the day before or early that morning? That he didn't even know it was broken until after the draft and had like 7 messages from teams wanting to talk to him before drafting him? A friend of mine told me this last year but you never hear about it in the media. Does this story have truth to it?

jmac

Reaction score
I never heard that story but it damn sure would make a lot of sense.

HardHittin'Witten

This ain't Madden
Reaction score
True story or not, I'm damn glad we got a hold of him. Look at it this way, at least we didn't trade up to get Jason Campbell.

Pabst

Reaction score
From what I've read, Dallas and Denver were the only two teams to contact Romo after the draft. Mike Shanahan, like Sean Payton, played ball at Eastern Illinois, Romo's alma mater.

Denver actually offered Romo more money to sign, but he choose Dallas because of the QB situation at the time... and because choosing Dallas over anything is a no-brainer.

Daudr

Reaction score
dannyz;1759810 said:
Isn't it true that several NFL teams tried to contact Romo on draft day in 2003, but that his phone was broken because he dropped it the day before or early that morning? That he didn't even know it was broken until after the draft and had like 7 messages from teams wanting to talk to him before drafting him? A friend of mine told me this last year but you never hear about it in the media. Does this story have truth to it?

I don't know where you picked up this "story," but the real one is documented in several articles in the main forum. Only 2 teams (Denver and Dallas) contacted him and that was after the draft. Sean Payton tried to get him drafted, but was over-ruled. He also tried to get Parcells to let him bring him to New Orleans with him, but by that time Parcells knew what he had.

dannyz

Reaction score
Yeah, who knows, but the story goes that the day before (or the morning of, can't remember now) the draft, Romo dropped his phone, and picked it up and it was still on and he called his voicemail to make sure it worked.. it did. However, after the draft was over with, a buddy who was with him at the time he dropped it, told him he better check his phone again and make sure it works.. he called his voicemail again and bam.. had several messages from teams trying to get ahold of him during the draft. Apparantly he could make outgoing calls, but nothing incoming worked, including voicemail notification. Weird story I know, but sounds plausible. I'll have to check with my buddy again to find out where it came from.

sago1

Reaction score
Actually I read in the Buffalo newspaper, that the Bills claimed they were one of about 20 teams who wanted to sign the undrafted Romo to a contract. Romo supposedly agreed but said he had narrowed it down to the Broncos, Cowboys and Arizona with the Cowboys the frontrunner because of the situation here in Dallas.

dannyz

Reaction score
You know, even if he got signed by another team, he would most likely have been released and signed by somebody else. What happened in Dallas with him sitting for so long and then actually making it big is just unheard of. He may have started sooner somewhere else, or perhaps not at all, then likely not performed anywhere near the level he is at now. Fun to think about. Romo in Dallas, and all that went into his Jedi training.. was just the perfect storm

Ben_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
dannyz;1760088 said:
Yeah, who knows, but the story goes that the day before (or the morning of, can't remember now) the draft, Romo dropped his phone, and picked it up and it was still on and he called his voicemail to make sure it worked.. it did. However, after the draft was over with, a buddy who was with him at the time he dropped it, told him he better check his phone again and make sure it works.. he called his voicemail again and bam.. had several messages from teams trying to get ahold of him during the draft. Apparantly he could make outgoing calls, but nothing incoming worked, including voicemail notification. Weird story I know, but sounds plausible. I'll have to check with my buddy again to find out where it came from.

Yeah, check with your buddy....

Until then, I'll consider him for what he is--a great player that no one knew about.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
If a team wanted to draft him that badly, they would have drafted him even if they couldn't get ahold of him.

CosmicCowboy

Reaction score
dannyz;1759810 said:

LOL...if true thats called 'Fate'....:bow:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Tony was asked a couple of weeks ago why he was not drafted and he said he was not good enough at that point. Same as when he was asked if he was upset that he did not get to start soon enough in Dallas having to wait as he did. He said no he was not ready but he kept working and preparing himself so when the opportunity came he was ready.