Was the number one problem on the D addressed?

kskboys

Reaction score
The Cowboys were faced with other problems other than the run D, the OL and WR corps was depleted and they had to prioritize the problems to address and this was all about being a needs draft.

The OL was #1 and they viewed the pass rush with Gregory gone as #2 and the WR corps as #3. The #2 pick is a pass rusher and situational player so they did not really address the run defense.

Improvement in the run D will have to come from within the team or in round 2 of FA.

It would really help if they could keep their DT's healthy and get some consistency with them.
And get the correct type of DT's to shore up the run stopping!!!!!

Honestly, we're not going to win in the playoffs until we can stop the run. Don't see how that isn't the biggest need!!!!

visionary

Reaction score
The Cowboys were faced with other problems other than the run D, the OL and WR corps was depleted and they had to prioritize the problems to address and this was all about being a needs draft.

The OL was #1 and they viewed the pass rush with Gregory gone as #2 and the WR corps as #3. The #2 pick is a pass rusher and situational player so they did not really address the run defense.

Improvement in the run D will have to come from within the team or in round 2 of FA.

It would really help if they could keep their DT's healthy and get some consistency with them.

You’re the coach but I’m sorry, unless you stop the run and make them one dimensional you can’t pressure the QB the QB effectively

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
If they play our two big DT's next to one another when needed, then yes we've fix our biggest problem. Adjusting on the fly seems to be one of Quinn's best assets now. Guess he learned from that Super comeback by Brady and the boys.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You’re the coach but I’m sorry, unless you stop the run and make them one dimensional you can’t pressure the QB the QB effectively
Depends on the team philosophy. The Cowboys just happened to catch the team in the playoffs that has to run.

I would think that most teams spend a lot more time on their passing offense and defense. The owners changed it and the Niners didn't get the memo.

The Niners did the same thing to the Rams in the regular season.

They were the absolute worst matchup for the Cowboys.

Batman1980

Reaction score
As per usual, most don't comprehend what the big dudes do for a D. Belly always makes sure to have the big middle stuffers. Cincy and LAR both had them.

Every year, year after year, the teams who are super bowl contenders easily attain these big guys while laughing at the Jerry's of the league who pass them up.

To be fair, Belichick just isn't the same when he doesn't have Tom Brady, who many consider to be the best QB ever.

Batman1980

Reaction score
Depends on the team philosophy. The Cowboys just happened to catch the team in the playoffs that has to run.

I would think that most teams spend a lot more time on their passing offense and defense. The owners changed it and the Niners didn't get the memo.

The Niners did the same thing to the Rams in the regular season.

They were the absolute worst matchup for the Cowboys.

49ers run as much as they do because you have to hide a bus driver like Jimmy G who can't take a lot of hits as much as you can.

kskboys

Reaction score
If they play our two big DT's next to one another when needed, then yes we've fix our biggest problem. Adjusting on the fly seems to be one of Quinn's best assets now. Guess he learned from that Super comeback by Brady and the boys.
Not if they can't anchor and disrupt.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Not if they can't anchor and disrupt.
That's why I like them as a tandem. Bohanna plays with speed and quickness even though he's big. Ridgeway plays with power and strength. So Ridgeway can anchor while Bohanna disrupts.

Ridgeway is a natural two gap DT. If Bohannna creates a hole while trying to disrupt, Ridgeway can cover it. That's exactly what I want from my two big bodied DT's. One to be a natural one gap player, while the other is a natural two gap player.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
This was how I was going to grade this draft as it went, did they address the run D? Because they did, by method of elimination instead of choice, in last year's draft in round 1.

They picked a DE with the 2nd because of the Gregory loss and one that is far more pass rusher than run stopper, the owner's idea of a "war daddy".

I do not see where they took the pressure to score off the offense and they will have to meet last year's high number to have a winning record.

However, the success of this year's team isn't nearly as reliant on this draft class as the previous one. That, was the D draft and they need to step up this season.

The other question I had going in was will they get their D star some help and they might have done that on the pass rush with Williams but playing the run, not so much.

I think the run D is going to be overly dependent on Vander Esch. Who, btw, was the best run defender in that playoff game. Keeping him went a little under the radar but that might have been one of the best off season moves.

The Cowboys D is going to have to stop the run more and better this season than the last. And last year, they were mediocre and ranked 30th in giving up runs of 20+ yards.

I saw where McC was going "playoffs, playoffs, playoffs, remember the playoffs" during the draft, who was he talking to and were they listening? His D gave up 170 yards and control of the game.

Have to go D on addressing the run D with this draft class. However, 2021's class could bring the overall grade up, if they step up.
No it was not addressed. DA is not a good player him starting is an embarrassment. All of our DTs wouldn't start on any other team in the league. Other than D Law everyone else is a guy maybe. Also Gregory had talent but being almost 30 getting a 2nd contract no thx.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

The offensive skill players, not including the QB, *already* had 3 guys making 8 figures, two 1st round draft picks, and one of the highest-rated RBs in the league as a backup. Just the WRs had a 1st round pick and guy making 8 figures, both on long term contracts. That isn't depleted. That's overinvested.

Meanwhile, we've spent nothing at DT, and have next to nothing.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Sam Williams played a 4i technique on run downs. Any 260 pound player will not look great in run defense playing that technique.
- If he had played a tradition 4-3 DE (7-tech) vs the run, then he would have been a plus run defender.

They'll have two 320+ DTs on the roster this season. That never happened when Marinelli was the D-Coordinator and I'm not certain if the Cowboys have ever had two 320+ DL for an entire season.

Agreed. Assuming Williams works out, I just wish that one of those DTs was an All Pro caliber and we would be set. At least we have a lot of youth at the position.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

I had hope this would be the year Jerry reverses philosophy and picked a stud in the middle for our DLine but I guess a leopard doesn’t change its spots after a certain age.

Seems like we’re going to bat with the same strategy as the past decade. Get some maulers on the Oline early in the draft, make sure enough quality pass rushers, and keep WR depth well. Not bad strategies and hard to fault but agree with everyone who notices how many championship teams get over the hump with this position set on their defense. How many times did we lose to a good team last year getting out muscled on the interior? I know Williams and Biadasz are the scapegoats, but how about we just join the club and get our own DT Titans.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Coach, honestly there isn’t a soul on this planet that knows whether we got better in this draft and off-season or not. We hope so. But we won’t know until the live bullets begin to fly in the reg season.

`Well, we lost Amari, Gregory, La'El, and Cedric Wilson......... heck throw in Connor Williams who was snapped up by Tennessee and being replaced by an oft penalized rookie from Tulsa. Its pretty clear we didn't improve this off season. Its simple math. The talent we gained is less than the talent we lost. So, Unless Dak just surprises everyone and gets to a new level this year, we aren't winning playoff games.

Batman1980

Reaction score
`Well, we lost Amari, Gregory, La'El, and Cedric Wilson......... heck throw in Connor Williams who was snapped up by Tennessee and being replaced by an oft penalized rookie from Tulsa. Its pretty clear we didn't improve this off season. Its simple math. The talent we gained is less than the talent we lost. So, Unless Dak just surprises everyone and gets to a new level this year, we aren't winning playoff games.

And how many play-off games did we win with those 5 on the roster? Good players all but certainly overrated, hopefully the overall team talent has improved enough for us to get at least a bit further.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
No one expected the defense to show the improvement they did last year. frankly defense is a very young unit that should only improve

speedkilz88

Reaction score
It's the opposite. To think that we have is crazy. And to think we even understand how is even crazier.

I like the Ridgeway pick, but he has leverage issues. Which is to be expected from tall DT. Not sure if he helps in the run stopping dept.
The reason they drafted him was to help the run stopping.

blueblood70

Reaction score
The reason they drafted him was to help the run stopping.
hilarious, a high level wrestler as well like OSI the backgrounds are similar and this guy says he has leverage issues..

maybe in the pass game but moving ridgeway off his spot with one guy,. good luck..OSI and Ridgeway next to each other on run downs..ill bet on a more positive result then some here are alleging. the same fanbase that said Parsons wasnt worth a top 10 p[ick because hes just a downhill LB..lmao..

don't listen to this fan base they get their knowledge from google where our huge year round scouting department actually work guys out and study hors and hours of tape..

will he be great who knows but saying he doesn't have leverage is ridiculous.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And how many play-off games did we win with those 5 on the roster? Good players all but certainly overrated, hopefully the overall team talent has improved enough for us to get at least a bit further.

Replacing them with lesser players improves our chances? The overall team talent took a plunge.