Was Wade trying get a free kick?

BaybeeJay

Reaction score
When we called our timeout with :09 left in the 1st half, was Wade trying to get a fair catch as time expired so that Nick Folk could attempt a free kick? If so, he should be criticized for not calling the timeout at the right time. It was a small part of the game that had no bearing on the outcome, but it is this lack of attention to detail that pisses me off.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Yes he was, but what do you mean about calling it at the right time? I think the punt just went too far and they knew Folk couldn't make it from there.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
I think he meant let time expire some more...but if I'm not mistaken they waited until the end of the play clock to call time out and there were 9 seconds left on the clock, which if they took the delay of game penalty would have caused a 10 second runoff and the half would be over.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
CL is right, it was just too long for Folk. The one thing they should have done was to have in all out rush since there wasn't going to be a return with Crayton faircatching. That could have forced the punter to not get off a good kick or they might have even blocked it.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
what could you possibly be mad about?

YOu call for a fair catch and you catch it. Then if you can you kick it.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At the time, I thought there would be an all out attempt to block the kick. That didn't happen and was disappointing to me. Ultimately it didn't matter but it still kind of made me question what Wade was thinking.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
casmith07;2450057 said:
I think he meant let time expire some more...but if I'm not mistaken they waited until the end of the play clock to call time out and there were 9 seconds left on the clock, which if they took the delay of game penalty would have caused a 10 second runoff and the half would be over.

The defense can decline the 10-second runoff.

links18

Reaction score
No way, everyone knows Wade is a moron. He couldn't possibly know about the free kick rule. ;)

The free kick can be taken after a fair catch even if time has expired........

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
I thought it was pretty smart, it could have been 'classless' running up the score if we did it, but if the win was on the line I would like to have seen us try it. Plus, it can't hurt getting special teams to understand those kind of situations.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
BaybeeJay;2450002 said:
When we called our timeout with :09 left in the 1st half, was Wade trying to get a fair catch as time expired so that Nick Folk could attempt a free kick? If so, he should be criticized for not calling the timeout at the right time. It was a small part of the game that had no bearing on the outcome, but it is this lack of attention to detail that pisses me off.

I thought it was weird at first but maybe he is finally starting to show some killer instinct but I can see why it would be conceived as lack of attention given how some things have gone this year.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Yes, that's what he was trying to do - but the fair catch left them with the ball at their own 45 yard line. I'm still confused about why they didn't chuck up a Hail Mary there, though, after all that effort.

links18

Reaction score
TheSkaven;2450232 said:
Yes, that's what he was trying to do - but the fair catch left them with the ball at their own 45 yard line. I'm still confused about why they didn't chuck up a Hail Mary there, though, after all that effort.

I could see Folk making a 65 yard FG without a rush. Maybe?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Isnt a free kick different from a FG?

Maybe I am wrong, but it is my understanding that you can use a tee on a free kick, kinda like a kickoff.

I am pretty sure that Folk could kick it through the uprights from our own 45 using a tee.

Is this not correct???

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
links18;2450262 said:
I could see Folk making a 65 yard FG without a rush. Maybe?

I doubt it. He is accurate as hell, but he doesn't have a huge leg.

He doesn't have a touchback all year.

Not saying it's impossible, just not likely, imo.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Beast_from_East;2450497 said:
Isnt a free kick different from a FG?

Maybe I am wrong, but it is my understanding that you can use a tee on a free kick, kinda like a kickoff.

I am pretty sure that Folk could kick it through the uprights from our own 45 using a tee.

Is this not correct???

You can't use a tee on a free kick. Someone holds it, like on a field goal, but you have your kickoff coverage team in case it falls short and gets returned.

BaybeeJay

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2450544 said:
You can't use a tee on a free kick. Someone holds it, like on a field goal, but you have your kickoff coverage team in case it falls short and gets returned.

So whats the verdict? Was Wade in the wrong? It doesn't really make sense to me that Wade waited until the playclock ran down to call his timeout, since it was the Seahawks who had the ball (why would they let the playclock run down in that situation). What I remember is Wade taking a timeout with 9 ticks left and setting Patrick Crayton up only to realize that it doesn't take 9 seconds to fair catch a punt.

Whatever the case, I fault Wade for either not taking the timeout at the appropriate time or not knowing the rules well enough to set up for a free kick (if he didn't know about it). It was the perfect opportunity to try one, and I feel Folk had a chance to make it from the spot of the fair catch. It was still the first half and would not have been running up the score.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
BaybeeJay;2450574 said:
So whats the verdict? Was Wade in the wrong? It doesn't really make sense to me that Wade waited until the playclock ran down to call his timeout, since it was the Seahawks who had the ball (why would they let the playclock run down in that situation). What I remember is Wade taking a timeout with 9 ticks left and setting Patrick Crayton up only to realize that it doesn't take 9 seconds to fair catch a punt.

Whatever the case, I fault Wade for either not taking the timeout at the appropriate time or not knowing the rules well enough to set up for a free kick (if he didn't know about it). It was the perfect opportunity to try one, and I feel Folk had a chance to make it from the spot of the fair catch. It was still the first half and would not have been running up the score.
They didn't let the playclock run down. Seattle had 3 plays and Dallas only had one timeout.

They were hoping for a short punt that Crayton could fair catch close enough to give Folk a chance. Even if the clock had ran out, Dallas would've gotten an untimed down to try the kick.

Crayton didn't understand what was going on. Someone should've told him where to get and not to bother if it was over his head. He kept backing up, and motioning to the coaches that the kick would go over his head. If the kicker had, say, only gotten a 25 or 30 yard punt, Dallas could've tried a long FG, and the clock would've been irrelevant.

The time management couldn't have been much better in this possession. Seattle got the ball with :51 left, and Dallas only had one timeout. Seattle did a poor job in running out the clock.

Dallas22

Reaction score
Double Trouble;2450606 said:
They didn't let the playclock run down. Seattle had 3 plays and Dallas only had one timeout.

They were hoping for a short punt that Crayton could fair catch close enough to give Folk a chance. Even if the clock had ran out, Dallas would've gotten an untimed down to try the kick.

Crayton didn't understand what was going on. Someone should've told him where to get and not to bother if it was over his head. He kept backing up, and motioning to the coaches that the kick would go over his head. If the kicker had, say, only gotten a 25 or 30 yard punt, Dallas could've tried a long FG, and the clock would've been irrelevant.

The time management couldn't have been much better in this possession. Seattle got the ball with :51 left, and Dallas only had one timeout. Seattle did a poor job in running out the clock.

Everything ^^^^^^^^^^^^ he said is correct... peace:laugh1:

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
BaybeeJay;2450002 said:

Well I hope not, Wade would pull some muscles trying any kind of kick.:eek:

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
It speaks to how poor of a job Bruce Read is doing that Crayton didn't understand what was going on with that punt.