Was Wade trying get a free kick?

BaybeeJay

Reaction score
Double Trouble;2450606 said:
They didn't let the playclock run down. Seattle had 3 plays and Dallas only had one timeout.

They were hoping for a short punt that Crayton could fair catch close enough to give Folk a chance. Even if the clock had ran out, Dallas would've gotten an untimed down to try the kick.

Crayton didn't understand what was going on. Someone should've told him where to get and not to bother if it was over his head. He kept backing up, and motioning to the coaches that the kick would go over his head. If the kicker had, say, only gotten a 25 or 30 yard punt, Dallas could've tried a long FG, and the clock would've been irrelevant.

The time management couldn't have been much better in this possession. Seattle got the ball with :51 left, and Dallas only had one timeout. Seattle did a poor job in running out the clock.

Upon reading the rules, the time on the clock is irrelevant. After making any fair catch, a team can elect to take a free kick. It did look like Crayton was unsure of what was going on. Does anyone remember where he fair caught it? I know it was the Dallas side of the field.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
BaybeeJay;2450924 said:
Upon reading the rules, the time on the clock is irrelevant. After making any fair catch, a team can elect to take a free kick. It did look like Crayton was unsure of what was going on. Does anyone remember where he fair caught it? I know it was the Dallas side of the field.
Dallas 40.

links18

Reaction score
Hoofbite;2450977 said:
Just a measly 67 yards to make the FG.

....without a rush. He might have made it. I remember Matt Bryant for the Bucs kicking a 63 yarder a few years back to beat the E-Girls and that was with a rush. Only downside if he didn't is a possible return. Perhaps our poor kick-off coverage all year weighed into the decision to skip the free kick attempt.

Skin

Reaction score
BaybeeJay;2450002 said:
When we called our timeout with :09 left in the 1st half, was Wade trying to get a fair catch as time expired so that Nick Folk could attempt a free kick? If so, he should be criticized for not calling the timeout at the right time. It was a small part of the game that had no bearing on the outcome, but it is this lack of attention to detail that pisses me off.

Thanks for telling everyone what pisses you off. What really gives me indigestion is when I read posts from people who don't know what they are talking about but somehow think they are the oracle at Delphi.

BaybeeJay

Reaction score
Skin;2451244 said:
Thanks for telling everyone what pisses you off. What really gives me indigestion is when I read posts from people who don't know what they are talking about but somehow think they are the oracle at Delphi.

I rectified my statement, what more do you want?

How is it not 70 yards from the Dallas 40? Sixty yards to the endzone + 10 yards

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
BaybeeJay;2451379 said:
How is it not 70 yards from the Dallas 40? Sixty yards to the endzone + 10 yards
You add 18 yards to where the ball is spotted. If it's on the 30, it's a 48 yard field goal. If it's on the 40, it's a 58 yard field goal.

links18

Reaction score
theogt;2451435 said:
You add 18 yards to where the ball is spotted. If it's on the 30, it's a 48 yard field goal. If it's on the 40, it's a 58 yard field goal.

Except there is no rush on a free kick. No need to take the spot of the kick back 8 yards......

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
theogt;2451435 said:

Thats true on a regular field goal but not true on a fair catch kick

On a fair catch kick the ball is kicked from where the fair catch is made in this case the 40, the defense also has to line up 10 yards downfield giving the kicker a full running start and the defense almost no shot to block it

So if we would have went for the kick it would have been 70 yards

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
BigDFan5;2451449 said:
Thats true on a regular field goal but not true on a fair catch kick

On a fair catch kick the ball is kicked from where the fair catch is made in this case the 40, the defense also has to line up 10 yards downfield giving the kicker a full running start and the defense almost no shot to block it

So if we would have went for the kick it would have been 70 yards
Gotcha. I mixed up 40 yard lines (i.e., was thinking it was on the Seattle 40).

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
theogt;2451472 said:
Gotcha. I mixed up 40 yard lines (i.e., was thinking it was on the Seattle 40).

I think you were also adding in yardage for a snap (which wouldn't take place).

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2450544 said:
You can't use a tee on a free kick. Someone holds it, like on a field goal, but you have your kickoff coverage team in case it falls short and gets returned.

Interesting, I did not know that.

Thanks for the info Adam.