Wash. Times| Good article on Skins cap

DawnOfANewD

Reaction score
(raises hand meekly) Doesn't Snyder make so much dough off the Commanders every year that he could care less about being over the cap a la Steinbrenner? (runs away...)

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cbz40 said:
Like I have said a million times before.....I've been hearing this for years: They seem to always sign the player they want. So I will believe the "Cap Hell" stuff when I see it happening.:rolleyes:
Seems like it has been 3 or 4 years in a row now since I first heard the Skins were entering cap hell.

marsbennett

Mars Man
Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
If the cap isn't extended before March, this year won't be anything like every other year. The 30 percent rule will be a big factor in a lot of contracts, prorations will be shorter and there won't be a June 2 escape hatch for inflated contracts. If the NFL goes into the league year with it being the final capped year, the rules of the CBA will make sure that every team is accountable toward the cap as much as possible before it goes away next year. Far less of a player's cap charges will be able to be pushed into future years as teams have done in other years.

If the cap is extended before March, however -- which I think it will be -- then the Skins can go back to putting off the cap hits, as usual.
I think the players will never say it, but they want no CBA in place. They may even be saying it, but not reported widely. Bye-Bye cap in 2007. Frankly, I'm looking forward to it.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
marsbennett said:
I think the players will never say it, but they want no CBA in place. They may even be saying it, but not reported widely. Bye-Bye cap in 2007. Frankly, I'm looking forward to it.

Honestly thats inaccurate.

The players and league want a cap.

why???
Because it gave the league exactly what they wanted.
Firm commitments of league money to players based on percentages and rising salaries.

I am sure there will be posturing but the players have been more than cooperative in the past and the league will give in on some other topics to get the deal done. Both sides are more likely to get what they truly want by signing early.

The truth is in the pudding and about 25 teams are in great cap chape. They are not going to hand the 3 or 4 teams in bad cap shape a free pass.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
Seems like it has been 3 or 4 years in a row now since I first heard the Skins were entering cap hell.
Dallas entered cap hell long before they felt it.

The funny thing is the Skins entered cap hell years missing the playoffs.

I know they have 1 decent season this decade and are now crowing like peacocks but its false bravado and deep down they know it. Its like a broken watch being right twice a day. You overspend every year to compete and eventually you'll compete. But you also will pay at some point.

Dallas used the same restructuring with Aikman and many others til they paid out the nose when those guys had to retire.

The similarities with Dallas of the late 90s are there because neither team was adding any significant young talent. Thats a recipe for disaster.

marsbennett

Mars Man
Reaction score
jterrell said:

why???
Firm commitments of league money to players based on percentages and rising salaries.

I am sure there will be posturing but the players have been more than cooperative in the past and the league will give in on some other topics to get the deal done. Both sides are more likely to get what they truly want by signing early.

The truth is in the pudding and about 25 teams are in great cap chape. They are not going to hand the 3 or 4 teams in bad cap shape a free pass.
I agree that the other teams will not want to give out any passes..........it's the players that I think want to see life without a cap for at least a season. I'm willing to bet a little cash that there will be no CBA in place within the next 6 weeks, which is the deadline....as per Adam.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
marsbennett said:
I agree that the other teams will not want to give out any passes..........it's the players that I think want to see life without a cap for at least a season. I'm willing to bet a little cash that there will be no CBA in place within the next 6 weeks, which is the deadline....as per Adam.

Some players may not want a cap, but I'm not sure about the Players Union. If there is no cap, sure, some salaries will skyrocket. But on the other hand, there also wouldn't be minimum salary in place and teams could low ball alot of players at the bottom end of the rosters.

I really wouldn't want a total cap-free league. Even if we'd be the Yankees, the Commanders would at least be the Red Sox.

Now I would like to see a soft cap similar to the NBA, where teams can spend as much on their own players but there'd be a cap on how much you can spend on outside FA's.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
marsbennett said:
The key is this:
Long-term deals are becoming more difficult to do because signing bonuses can only be prorated for five years, and that term drops to four in 2006.

Even with an uncapped year upcoming you still ahve to fit the 30% rule into place making it dificult to get deals done. Harder for players and agents and teams.

Players want the bigger bonuses and longer proration or else the CAP is actually SMALLER because of the need to count more againt todays cap.

How mnay players want to make less money now for hope of a bigge rpayday later?? Very, very few.

I think the pressure to sign something is meaningless until we are a few days away as always seems to be the case in these things. I wouldn't bet on it because frankly it isn't that big an issue but I do strongly suspect we see an agreement in 5 weeks a couple of days.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
Adam Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this statement from the article incorrect?

The difficulty is that Brunell, who has a base salary of $4 million, and Thomas ($3.5 million) are the only ones with bases of more than $1.5 million. The other five contracts don't have a lot of leeway to turn salaries into bonuses, which can be prorated for up to five years.

Unless the CBA is extended they can only prorate bonuses 3 years not 5.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
marsbennett said:
If there is no cap then expect a lock out. just like in the NBA and NHL

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
Adam Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this statement from the article incorrect?

Unless the CBA is extended they can only prorate bonuses 3 years not 5.

It was five years during the 2005 season. For the 2006 season, it will be four years -- the limit is set at three years past the final capped year.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
superpunk said:
Someone tell me if I'm correct on this.

If that's all true, the Commanders will only pay minimally, for now. They seem to have a good base in place, but no depth. They have no money to sign depth. But they will only pay BIG TIME when these older players begin to be cut/traded/retired and those bonuses hit the cap as a lump sum.

Does that make sense, or do I just not understand the cap?

Yes. Quite correct. Something we ran head first into when Michael, Troy and Emmitt left. We had kept pushing money to the future.

The basic thing you just said would hold true here:
1. Guaranteeing Roster Bonuses
Lavar Arrington LB – save $4.9m
Marcus Washington LB – save $1.9m
Cornelius Griffin DT – save $1.9m
Shawn Springs CB – save $2.3m
Clinton Portis RB – save $2.3m

Where the Sking would have this money catch up with them somewhere down the line. This is the biggest part of the savings they expect to make.
somewhere around 14.3 that will bite them across the next few years.
And I'm sure these players have roster bonus money placed in their contracts for years down the road.
So the crash is coming... Just a matter of time.

An as for Ramsey...
3. Trades
Patrick Ramsey QB – save $1.7m (and receive draft pick compensation)

Teams can just wait till June.....

And as always I would be running to the bet to win window in Vegas on Adam's information.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
Bach said:
Now I would like to see a soft cap similar to the NBA, where teams can spend as much on their own players but there'd be a cap on how much you can spend on outside FA's.

This would never fly.

The small market owners would be dead.
Pittsburgh, Cincinnatti, Cleveland, Buffalo, Houston, Tennessee, Carolina, Jacksonville, Arizona and a few others.

The large market owners would rule the game most years. Similar to baseball.
Dallas, Washington, Both New York clubs, Chicago, New England, and a few other marginal large market clubs.

The NFL at least gives the small guys a chance.

TobiasEagle77

Reaction score
TobiasEagle77 said:
To get 53 players on their roster, they would have to add 13 players with only 10 million dollars. The article does not address that aspect. 2 of the proposed "releases" are starters, John Hall and Cory Raymer.
Just wanted to offer a correction here, as I made a mistake. Casy Rabach is the starting center, not Cory Raymer. I guess that's what happens when you go off memory, esp. a spotty memory like mine :eek:: .

With that in mind, it should be easier than I originally thought for them to get under cap. I still think it will be a challenge, and some painfull moves will be made. If the CBA isn't extended in time, they will be in trouble, as will several other large market teams.

vicjagger

Reaction score
TobiasEagle77 said:
..,. Casy Rabach is the starting center....

I thought he was the ship's cook in the movie "Under Siege", w/ Steven Seagal.

TobiasEagle77

Reaction score
vicjagger said:
I thought he was the ship's cook in the movie "Under Siege", w/ Steven Seagal.
The fact that you remember the cook's name from that horrible movie is disturbing.

vicjagger

Reaction score
TobiasEagle77 said:
The fact that you remember the cook's name from that horrible movie is disturbing.

Well, it was the "lead" role played by Seagal, it's not like he was just an extra. Plus, it's the movie that gave us our shot of Erika Elaniak's hooters, so some part of it is burned into my brain.

But, I think his name was Casey Ryback.

Cowboy Junkie

leonargized
Reaction score
vicjagger said:
Well, it was the "lead" role played by Seagal, it's not like he was just an extra. Plus, it's the movie that gave us our shot of Erika Elaniak's hooters, so some part of it is burned into my brain.

But, I think his name was Casey Ryback.

I liked the movie....

marsbennett

Mars Man
Reaction score
jterrell said:

why???

http://dallascowboyszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=705582&postcount=63