Twitter: Washington retiring Sonny Jurgensen's number in season finale against Cowboys

SinceDayOne

Reaction score
He was a very good player and deserves the honor. Not a very good broadcaster on the radio. Indeed the entire organization is a hot mess now. But back in the day he put a lot of heat on the Cowboys and we Cowboy fans. I would not be surprised if the timing will be due to it being his last game working for Washington (just a guess.)

JustChip

Reaction score
I was a young technician waaaaay back in the 70s and got called out to what was the Marriott on LBJ at Coit. The Commanders were in town and that was their team hotel. I’m waiting on the elevator, the doors open & I step in and the realize Sonny, Billy Kilmer and a 3rd are on it. They really were just normal folk. But the thing that struck me is if you didn’t know who he was, you would never have picked Sonny to be an NFL QB. Dude looked more like your slob uncle sitting on the couch watching Saturday night rasslin in a too small wife-beater shirt unable to constrain a voluminous belly, with a beer in one hand and cigarette with 1” of ash on it hanging out his mouth.

Motorola

Reaction score
f84quJR.jpeg

Romo was so good against them, Washington is retiring his number to break the curse. :D
Cowboys went 9-7 with Romo as QB versus Washington.

Motorola

Reaction score
I was a young technician waaaaay back in the 70s and got called out to what was the Marriott on LBJ at Coit. The Football Team were in town and that was their team hotel. I’m waiting on the elevator, the doors open & I step in and the realize Sonny, Billy Kilmer and a 3rd are on it. They really were just normal folk. But the thing that struck me is if you didn’t know who he was, you would never have picked Sonny to be an NFL QB. Dude looked more like your slob uncle sitting on the couch watching Saturday night rasslin in a too small wife-beater shirt unable to constrain a voluminous belly, with a beer in one hand and cigarette with 1” of ash on it hanging out his mouth.
I recall CBS Sportscaster (and former Eagles player) Tom Brookshier, when he did Washington games, would always say the quarterback's full name once during the broadcast - "Chrisian Aldoph Jurgensen III".

JustChip

Reaction score
I recall CBS Sportscaster (and former Eagles player) Tom Brookshier, when he did Washington games, would always say the quarterback's full name once during the broadcast - "Chrisian Aldoph Jurgensen III".
Wonder why? I don’t remember Brookshire doing with others. Was he being respectful or his way of taking a shot at him?

Motorola

Reaction score
Wonder why? I don’t remember Brookshire doing with others. Was he being respectful or his way of taking a shot at him?
JustChip - feel it was out of respect, because he usually did it after Jurgensen made an outstanding pass, or had a great game.
Remember the weekly highlight show "This Week in Pro Football" Brookshier cohosted with Pat Summerall? (it came on early Saturday afternoon in San Antonio.during the season.)
I remember him doing the same during recaps of games between Washington and another team.
Brookshier was a Philadelphia DB when Jurgensen was on the Eagles as a backup QB.

Last edited:

conner01

Reaction score
He does their game calls on the radio. He is a buffoon. Makes my skin crawl. He makes Jason Witten sound like John Madden. I know the guy is like 100 and another reason why he shouldn't be on air.
Well they aren’t retiring his number because of his broadcast skills lol
Most of the players on their team probably never heard of him though

Reaction score
They will be fired up to get the victory.

But at that point we will be 16-0.

Before my time, don't remember him. I think the earliest Redstink QB I remember is Kilmer and at that point he was fat and old,,, as a kid I couldn't understand why they had that fat old guy out there...

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
I will look forward to embarrassing the Washington Red Football Team Commanders (or whatever they’re called these days) on their home field that day. Sometimes that Wash whatever team is still my most hated rival. Going back to the early 70s.
Lots of dang good games between the two back then. George Allen and the over the hill gang absolutely hated the Cowboys and the feeling was mutual.

RS12

Reaction score
Guessing I am among the handful here that saw Sonny play. He could sling it.

stuckindc

Reaction score
He does their game calls on the radio. He is a buffoon. Makes my skin crawl. He makes Jason Witten sound like John Madden. I know the guy is like 100 and another reason why he shouldn't be on air.
Agreed. And add in Larry Michaels Arrogant clown Two of the most painful to listen to.

stuckindc

Reaction score
Can’t stand that loser.
The only foreskin that I hate worse is Theisman.
Two arrogant windbags.
I can’t wait to watch Wentz this year doing what he does best though, being an absolute garbage QB for a horrible team.
I’m sure after this year, even the foreskins will admit enough is enough with Wentz and he will go away.
Even though I’m sure Risen’s man crush on him will continue.
Go Cowboys!
One of my favorite Super Bowls is when the Raiders smashed them. Theisman had a nice black eye from when one of the Dbacks blitzed and crushed him. Washington fans and team were certain they were going to win back to back. Thiisman is arguably the most arrogant player from that team. Although they have a bunch.