Waste of Talent and Time

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah I expected overreaction but mostly its been a lot of guys who can't wait to say "I told you so...". Just miserable.

That is why I have not looked at too many threads today. I responded to a few, but now feel not worth my time. Unless I come across one by accident.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Last night's game proved what I have stated all along:
  1. You can not win with unavailable and unreliable players on defense
  2. You can not improve on defense with out DT strength to stop the run and push to collapse the QB pocket
  3. You can not make more than one bad coaching decision in a game to win when you do not have talent
  4. You can not keep doing the same things that have not worked expecting it to work (insanity).
  5. You run to win and pass to score on offense
  6. You win with defense and score more points with offense.

Jerry Dumbo GM Jones thinks football head coaches are not important as he is as the Dumbo GM.

Vander Esch was unavailable, Sean Lee unavailable, and unreliable players like Gregory is on the way to ensure there is no continuity on defense. Cowboys did not keep LB Bernard, let alone Hitchens and Wilson when they know you have unavailable players continuing being benefiting with membership to Jerry Jones Country Club. With defensive plan like we saw vs. the Rams, how long do you thing the mental stability of Griffin and Smith will last? Bring on Randy Gregory the poster child of unreliable.

The Cowboys DTs are 2 rookies, unavailable Crawford, and 2 unreliable players in Woods and Poe. The Rams OL continued to blow them off the line of scrimmage. If you do not invest in DL like OL you get the lost of games like the Rams.

Excluding Landry, Johnson, and Parcells, The Cowboys Head Coach position has been unstable and without competency. Your team is driving down the field shredding the Rams defense before halftime, and you call a time out to give the Rams time to re-establish. Until the 4th quarter, you make no defensive adjustment to deal with misdirection plays (see the reason why Landry created the flex read and react defense) and Jimmy Johnson created the Miami attack 4-3 defense. You either are going to read and react or you are going to dictate on defense. You don't do what you did last night by not adjusting and doing nothing but given up yards and points. This was bad coaching no.1.

Bad Coaching no. 2, the Cowboys finally in hurry up offense shredding the Rams defense before halftime, the Cowboys call a time out to stop momentum with +:1:30 left before halftime. Don't ice your kicker and don't ice your offense (they scored a TD). Bad Coaching no. 3 never go for it on 4th down, on the road, with +:12:00 left to play, behind only by a field goal and pass on a 17-18 yard field goal. That is just dumb. Bad Coaching no. 4 if you are not going to feed Elliott, trade him and proceed with what you want to do. To not give the ball to Elliott on run plays and out the backfield with screen plays against a Rams pass rush is bad coaching. If your OL has problems, run the ball and call screen plays. The Cowboys can not win close ball games with bad coaching decisions.

The Rams are not a world beating team. They have Floyd who the Bears let go because he was not stout against the run. The Cowboys did not run. They have a LB core that is suspect and the Cowboys did not attack with passing to the RBs even with the lost of the TE.

The Cowboys again are doing the same things they did in the late 90's, early 2000's and in the Jason Garrett era. Nothing has change but the date on the calendar. Waste of talent and time.
The only thing last night proved was that I was right back in March. The lack of players and coaches being familiar with each other will be an issue early. As much as I wanted to be wrong it was pretty obvious against the Rams.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Last night's game proved what I have stated all along:
  1. You can not win with unavailable and unreliable players on defense
  2. You can not improve on defense with out DT strength to stop the run and push to collapse the QB pocket
  3. You can not make more than one bad coaching decision in a game to win when you do not have talent
  4. You can not keep doing the same things that have not worked expecting it to work (insanity).
  5. You run to win and pass to score on offense
  6. You win with defense and score more points with offense.

Jerry Dumbo GM Jones thinks football head coaches are not important as he is as the Dumbo GM.

Vander Esch was unavailable, Sean Lee unavailable, and unreliable players like Gregory is on the way to ensure there is no continuity on defense. Cowboys did not keep LB Bernard, let alone Hitchens and Wilson when they know you have unavailable players continuing being benefiting with membership to Jerry Jones Country Club. With defensive plan like we saw vs. the Rams, how long do you thing the mental stability of Griffin and Smith will last? Bring on Randy Gregory the poster child of unreliable.

The Cowboys DTs are 2 rookies, unavailable Crawford, and 2 unreliable players in Woods and Poe. The Rams OL continued to blow them off the line of scrimmage. If you do not invest in DL like OL you get the lost of games like the Rams.

Excluding Landry, Johnson, and Parcells, The Cowboys Head Coach position has been unstable and without competency. Your team is driving down the field shredding the Rams defense before halftime, and you call a time out to give the Rams time to re-establish. Until the 4th quarter, you make no defensive adjustment to deal with misdirection plays (see the reason why Landry created the flex read and react defense) and Jimmy Johnson created the Miami attack 4-3 defense. You either are going to read and react or you are going to dictate on defense. You don't do what you did last night by not adjusting and doing nothing but given up yards and points. This was bad coaching no.1.

Bad Coaching no. 2, the Cowboys finally in hurry up offense shredding the Rams defense before halftime, the Cowboys call a time out to stop momentum with +:1:30 left before halftime. Don't ice your kicker and don't ice your offense (they scored a TD). Bad Coaching no. 3 never go for it on 4th down, on the road, with +:12:00 left to play, behind only by a field goal and pass on a 17-18 yard field goal. That is just dumb. Bad Coaching no. 4 if you are not going to feed Elliott, trade him and proceed with what you want to do. To not give the ball to Elliott on run plays and out the backfield with screen plays against a Rams pass rush is bad coaching. If your OL has problems, run the ball and call screen plays. The Cowboys can not win close ball games with bad coaching decisions.

The Rams are not a world beating team. They have Floyd who the Bears let go because he was not stout against the run. The Cowboys did not run. They have a LB core that is suspect and the Cowboys did not attack with passing to the RBs even with the lost of the TE.

The Cowboys again are doing the same things they did in the late 90's, early 2000's and in the Jason Garrett era. Nothing has change but the date on the calendar. Waste of talent and time.

Yep. Very disappointing.

It’s not that we lost it’s how we lost. That was all too familiar.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
The defensive tackles stink, the secondary is mediocre, the tight ends are a joke, and offensive line isn't what it was in 2016.

People get enamored with the shiny toys on offense then wonder why the team doesn't look so great. See above.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
You guys loved him though prior to yesterday. I remember all of the “we got finally got some real dts now....”.
Not me. He’s a huge underachiever and they are the worst kinds of players.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
The only thing last night proved was that I was right back in March. The lack of players and coaches being familiar with each other will be an issue early. As much as I wanted to be wrong it was pretty obvious against the Rams.
The defensive tackles stink, the secondary is mediocre, the tight ends are a joke, and offensive line isn't what it was in 2016.

People get enamored with the shiny toys on offense then wonder why the team doesn't look so great. See above.
You have to invest on defense the way you invested on offense with solid draft picks at DT, DE, LB, CB without drafting unavailable and unreliable players by saying you got value. Lawrence, Vander Esch, Smith, Lee, Irving, Gregory, Poe, etc. are not value players because they are either unavailable (injured) of unreliable (suspended). Then you change the defense from 4-3 to 3-4 with unavailable and unreliable players. How can you get continuity on defense with this Jerry Dumbo GM Jones personnel philosophy on defense.

The offense is the same from last year. There was hardly any motion, misdirection, etc. Same old offense with same old results.