Watch NFL Network now to see why I like Corey Chavous

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
Many don't know this but Chavous is a bigtime student of the game it's players. Every year around draft time he participates in draft talk and prospect analyzation. He really knows his stuff. It's cool to see a player with that much knowledge of the prospects and team needs, etc. He watches a lot of film on upcoming prospects.

Just a neat little tidbit on Chavous that many don't know. His knowledge is impressive.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
Many don't know this but Chavous is a bigtime student of the game it's players. Every year around draft time he participates in draft talk and prospect analyzation. He really knows his stuff. It's cool to see a player with that much knowledge of the prospects and team needs, etc. He watches a lot of film on upcoming prospects.

Just a neat little tidbit on Chavous that many don't know. His knowledge is impressive.

I think fans tend to overrate him because of the draft. I read a lot about the draft too, it doesn't mean you want me patroling centerfield in a cover 3.

silver

Reaction score
Chavous has the numbers to back it up. I'd love to see him in Dallas.

Year Team G Total Tckl Ast Sacks Int Yds Avg Lg TD Pass Def
1998 Arizona Cardinals 16 28 22.0 6 0 2 0 0.0 0 0 6
1999 Arizona Cardinals 15 39 29.0 10 0 1 1 1.0 1 0 4
2000 Arizona Cardinals 16 48 42.0 6 0 1 0 0.0 0 0 2
2001 Arizona Cardinals 14 73 61.0 12 0 1 0 0.0 0 0 7
2002 Minnesota Vikings 16 83 66.0 17 1 3 76 25.3 43 1 2
2003 Minnesota Vikings 16 86 75.0 11 0 8 143 17.9 39 1 6
2004 Minnesota Vikings 16 80 59.0 21 0 1 0 0.0 0 0 5
2005 Minnesota Vikings 16 71 54.0 17 0 2 0 0.0 0 0 3
TOTAL 125 508 408.0 100 1 19 220 11.6 43 2 35

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
I think fans tend to overrate him because of the draft. I read a lot about the draft too, it doesn't mean you want me patroling centerfield in a cover 3.
He is a good player on the field. If you've ever watched him you would know that. Not spectacular, but good. He has played both CB and S which means he has coverage skills.
His draft expertise just shows that he's a true student of the game. I'm amazed there aren't more players like him. I mean, football truly is their business. They should be informed in as many ways as possible.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Dallas should be able to get a solid FS in free ageny and not have to worry about it in the draft.

Chris Hope, Ty Law, Corey Chavous, and Lance Shulters are all set to become UFA's and I'd rather get a good veteran at the free safety spot than go after one early in the draft.

Rich...........

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
If Chavous is such a great FS, why did the Vikings so badly want to bring in Darren Sharper to play FS that they rushed to sign him within 24 hours of hitting the open market? They basically handed him an open contract just so he wouldn't leave Minny without signing on the dotted line.

silver

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
Dallas should be able to get a solid FS in free ageny and not have to worry about it in the draft.

Chris Hope, Ty Law, Corey Chavous, and Lance Shulters are all set to become UFA's and I'd rather get a good veteran at the free safety spot than go after one early in the draft.

Rich...........

here we go again with the Ty Law move to FS thread.

• his agents are the postons
  • he played for BP
  • we need a FS
  • he won't play for FS money
  • let's play him at CB and move Henry to FS
  • We pay too much money to Henry for him to play S
  • blah blah blah blah

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
If Chavous is such a great FS, why did the Vikings so badly want to bring in Darren Sharper to play FS that they rushed to sign him within 24 hours of hitting the open market? They basically handed him an open contract just so he wouldn't leave Minny without signing on the dotted line.
If I'm not mistaken they played Sharper at FS and Chavous at SS.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:
Isn't Chavous more of a SS type than a FS type?
He played a good portion of a season at CB at one point so I would consider him able to play FS.
I believe that would be the season he had 8 INTs.

TheHustler

Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
He played a good portion of a season at CB at one point so I would consider him able to play FS.
I believe that would be the season he had 8 INTs.

I thought that was at SS?

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
He played SS, but he hates playing that position. He's a former CB that was moved to FS. Then when they brought in Sharper, they moved him to FS because Sharper wasn't going to come to Minnesota to play SS.

Minnesota sort of had the direct opposite of what Dallas has at safeties, two guys that are good in coverage, but not great at stopping the run and tackling.

Rich.......

silver

Reaction score
TheHustler said:
I thought that was at SS?

so was darren woodson and he was able to make the conversion to accomodate roy. he's athletic enough to do it i think. the guy can cover, he just won't have to be in run support as much.

NYCowboy22

Reaction score
silver said:
here we go again with the Ty Law move to FS thread.

• his agents are the postons
  • he played for BP
  • we need a FS
  • he won't play for FS money
  • let's play him at CB and move Henry to FS
  • We pay too much money to Henry for him to play S
  • blah blah blah blah

:hammer:

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
If I'm not mistaken they played Sharper at FS and Chavous at SS.

They obviously felt that FS needed upgrading from what Chavous gave them.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
His draft expertise just shows that he's a true student of the game. I'm amazed there aren't more players like him. I mean, football truly is their business. They should be informed in as many ways as possible.

There are. They just don't go on TV and talk about it. They are probably in the film room or weight room getting better.

silver

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
They obviously felt the FS needed upgrading from Chavous.

they were in an inmprove-the-defense-at-all-costs-mode last year and sharper happened to be one of the best defensive players available. shows more about chavous versatility than anything else.

arglebargle

Reaction score
junk said:
There are. They just don't go on TV and talk about it. They are probably in the film room or weight room getting better.

Chavous understands the game and all the angles. At this point in his career he is best suited for being a FS and the secondary general. He would be head and shoulders over what we've had there. Though I'd be happy with any decent player at FS.

I recall that when Chavous came in to the league as a rookie, one of the scouts who graded him was incredibly impressed with his smarts and said something to the effect of 'In 10 years I expect to be working for him.'

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
arglebargle said:
Chavous understands the game and all the angles. At this point in his career he is best suited for being a FS and the secondary general. He would be head and shoulders over what we've had there. Though I'd be happy with any decent player at FS.

I recall that when Chavous came in to the league as a rookie, one of the scouts who graded him was incredibly impressed with his smarts and said something to the effect of 'In 10 years I expect to be working for him.'

Not saying Chavous doesn't do those things, but if you read the post I quoted, the guy implied that other guys weren't doing those things and acted surprised.

I was simply stating that many other players do these things and don't have to go on TV to make me realize they do it.