Watched Last years Arizona game, and game from 2003

Champsheart

Reaction score
Last night I popped in the Arizona game from last year, and the 2003 Cowboy vs Arizona game. Just wanted to take a close peek at Leonard Davis.

Let me start off by saying I wanted to sign Davis, and wanted the big huge force on this O-Line.

After watching these games I sure hope Jerry and our Cowboys know what they are doing.

Davis was at Guard in the 2003 game. An important note is he had just come off from missing 2 games with an ankle injury. Maybe he was still hurt and rusty, but he was awful. Glover literally abused Davis. Davis was on his heels all game, looked like he did not know who to block, and when he did was often to late to get into position. I sure hope it was because of that ankle.

The game last year at LT he actually looked much better. He clearly dominated if he got his hands on you. He clearly knew who to block. In the running game he was very effective. In pass protection he was a stone wall if he got into position. A couple of times he had trouble with Ware coming around the edge, but who doesnt. He easily handled Canty and Hatcher.
He did do 3 cut blocks that where kinda ugly, and I do not know why he was doing that, except one was a very quick pass.

After looking at this I am thinking he may be suited best for RT, but it is just 2games. Overall I am confused about this signing. You can definetly see the promise in Davis, but I am not sure what exactly we are going to get.

I originally wanted him at Guard, now I am thinking put him at RT and draft a Guard like Grubbs, Sears or Blaylock. Maybe it was his ankle, but he just looked lost at Guard in the 2003 game.

UDcowboysfan

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, i want colombo back and davis to play at RG. If Colombo dousnt come back i'd move davis to RT and draft a RG.

dannyboy

Reaction score
I agree. I would love to see

LT-Flo 340lbs
LG-Kosier 305lbs Ramirez 335lbs 3rd round backup
C-Guorde 320lbs
RG-Blalock 330lbs 1st round
RT-Davis 360lbs

I would like us to trade back and pick up a 3rd and draft Ramirez(Texas Tech). At some point, he could replace Kosier. I can also see us having Flo around for a couple of more years if the price is right. That is a BIG O-LINE. They will give us a push when needed.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
dannyboy;1406280 said:
I agree. I would love to see

LT-Flo 340lbs
LG-Kosier 305lbs Ramirez 335lbs 3rd round backup
C-Guorde 320lbs
RG-Blalock 330lbs 1st round
RT-Davis 360lbs

I would like us to trade back and pick up a 3rd and draft Ramirez(Texas Tech). At some point, he could replace Kosier. I can also see us having Flo around for a couple of more years if the price is right. That is a BIG O-LINE. They will give us a push when needed.

LT protects the QB's blindside, who ever our best LT is should be the guy keeping Romo alive.

newlander

Reaction score
He's hot and cold. I looked at stats against San Diego last year(Wade's defense obviously) and he was solid. He also had a decent game against Dallas last year, but not spectacular. They HAVE to light a fire under this guy. Maybe recruit Erik Williams for his "school of playing with anger" techniques. God I miss Big E.................................................

superpunk

Reaction score
Nice.

I appreciate you actually going back and looking at him, rather than just relying on perception. It's only a small sample, but you can probably form a "decent" idea based on it. I think I'll look for some Cards torrents now. (gags)

DBoys

Reaction score
To be fair we have to factor in that AZ has always had a sub par line. It could be coaching, schemes etc. I hope he has added motivation since he is coming back home. He certainly has the physical tools.

If Colombo is a no go I would rather see Davis play RG and McQ at RT. Rivera was the biggest problem with our line last year.

Rivera looked great in GB and horrible here in Dallas.

STSINAZ

Reaction score
From what I've seen I wouldn't want him. Backup DE Daryl Tapp from Seattle made him look terrible. Davis has horribly slow feet for a OT. Tapp was able to keep him stumbling and off balance on multiple plays.

That was some info from someone who saw him play against Seattle at LT....at guard he is a stud, at tackle he sucks...

adamc91115

Reaction score
i just watched the game from i believe 2004 when we played them in dallas. davis actually looked good most of the game playing LT. he had no problem with ellis or canty, ware gave him trouble on some pass plays. on running plays he dominated the left side.