Watching the 95 NFC Championship game...

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
and the 1 thing that is standing out to me more than anything, compared to our team today, is the speed of our defense. I don't mean to useless 40 yard dash speed either. I'm talking about how fast our DL and LBs are coming off the ball. It's almost like our DL is in Favre's face before their OL is even setup. Just amazing quickness off the ball.

Nowadays our DL/LBs seem to hesitate at the snap for half a second then they go half speed into the pass rush. The utter relentlessness in the 95 team's pass rush is something I really miss.

I'll leave you guys to debate the reason for our slow reacting front 7, but I can tell you this, it's been that way for at least 6 years now.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Also, watching Emmitt Smith... just puts in perspective what JuJo really is. No disrespect whatsoever to JuJo, it doesn't mean you suck when you aren't as good as one of the best to ever play the game. It just reminds me of the greatness we used to have at the position.

That said, I think JuJo will be a very solid RB, and that's just fine. You don't need an all time leading rusher candidate to win superbowls.

ALso, watching Michael Irvin... it's been so long I forgot what a real #1 WR was like. 2 TDs in the first Quarter. And watching the DBs cover him, they'd be arrested for assault if DBs tried that nowadays. If Irvin played today, he'd shatter records. Who the hell would cover him?

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
Rack said:
And watching the DBs cover him, they'd be arrested for assault if DBs tried that nowadays. If Irvin played today, he'd shatter records. Who the hell would cover him?

He was pretty grabby with them as well. These days he would be called for it all the time. It happened to Randy Moss a lot last year because he has a reputation for it and a lot of the time it was a bs call. They would go to town on Irvin with his rep.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
BAZ said:
He was pretty grabby with them as well. These days he would be called for it all the time. It happened to Randy Moss a lot last year because he has a reputation for it and a lot of the time it was a bs call. They would go to town on Irvin with his rep.

Yeah, but back then a WR needed to use his hands to get separation. The DBs would grab and hold, and it was legal. Nowadays a WR has no excuse. If you can't get open in the NFL with the rules the way they are now, then you aren't worth a crap.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Also, if the rules that are in place now to protect QBs had been in place throughout Aikman's career he would of played till he was 40. The hits he's taking after he throws the ball in this game would be penalties every time if it were today.

OMG... when the game first started Madden was talking about Eric Williams saying "he's the best offensive lineman in football". Now it's almost halftime, he's talking about Larry Allen... "I think Larry Allen is the best guard in football. In fact, I think he's the best offensive lineman in football."

Didn't realize Madden had already been "losing it" since that long ago. lol

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Rack, funny you mentioned this game. I have it on tape also and watched it a couple weeks ago. Man, what a team.

Favre went 0-6 or 0-7 on his first pass attempts...his first completion was that TD to Robert Brooks.

I remember an interview with Troy a couple years back when defending the "stats-are-your-downfall" argument for him getting in the HOF. He said that Norv wanted to get the lead quick and then let Emmitt wear them out in the 2nd half. This is really evident in this game. Troy, Michael, and Jay got the lead and Emmitt just took over in the 2nd half.

BTW, did you like that 99 1/2 yard drive at the end of the 1st half?

The only...ONLY running back that shows Emmitt's stamina towards the ends of games, in my opinion, is Cadillac. Sure, I see him play every Sunday since I'm in Tampa, but the guy gets stronger as the game goes on. I know he was a rookie, I know he was injured during the season, but that's what I noticed. Maybe he'll do a 180 and totally stink this season, however I think the Bucs are a contender with him a running back.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Rack said:
I'll leave you guys to debate the reason for our slow reacting front 7, but I can tell you this, it's been that way for at least 6 years now.

Cough cough Mike Zimmer cough cough

Read and react rather than attack, it's been that way since Campo took over as the DC in 1995 (took a year for him to change the defense though). His pupil Zimmer is the same way.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Aikmaniac said:
Rack, funny you mentioned this game. I have it on tape also and watched it a couple weeks ago. Man, what a team.

Favre went 0-6 or 0-7 on his first pass attempts...his first completion was that TD to Robert Brooks.

I remember an interview with Troy a couple years back when defending the "stats-are-your-downfall" argument for him getting in the HOF. He said that Norv wanted to get the lead quick and then let Emmitt wear them out in the 2nd half. This is really evident in this game. Troy, Michael, and Jay got the lead and Emmitt just took over in the 2nd half.

BTW, did you like that 99 1/2 yard drive at the end of the 1st half?

The only...ONLY running back that shows Emmitt's stamina towards the ends of games, in my opinion, is Cadillac. Sure, I see him play every Sunday since I'm in Tampa, but the guy gets stronger as the game goes on. I know he was a rookie, I know he was injured during the season, but that's what I noticed. Maybe he'll do a 180 and totally stink this season, however I think the Bucs are a contender with him a running back.

Yeah it was freakin' beautiful. :D

FUnny too, that in our last semi-pro game, we also had a 99 1/2 yard TD drive. :cool:

Another thing I noticed in this game... Shante Carver wasn't half bad. I know he was a bust. No doubt about that, but players aren't always busts because they have no talent. Sometimes teams don't have the coaching staff to bring that talent out. Considering how most of our top picks ended up being from about that time, I have to wonder if the reason Carver ended up a bust was because of the coaching.

The dude had a tremendous first step.

Just watched 3 plays in a row, and GB double teamed Carver every play.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I remember Michael Buffer was brought in before the NFC title game to do his

"Let's get ready to Ruuuuuuuuummmmmmmbbbbllllle!"

Man was I pumped after that.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
Rack said:
Also, watching Emmitt Smith... just puts in perspective what JuJo really is. No disrespect whatsoever to JuJo, it doesn't mean you suck when you aren't as good as one of the best to ever play the game. It just reminds me of the greatness we used to have at the position.

That said, I think JuJo will be a very solid RB, and that's just fine. You don't need an all time leading rusher candidate to win superbowls.

ALso, watching Michael Irvin... it's been so long I forgot what a real #1 WR was like. 2 TDs in the first Quarter. And watching the DBs cover him, they'd be arrested for assault if DBs tried that nowadays. If Irvin played today, he'd shatter records. Who the hell would cover him?

Just another reason why Irvin is my all time favorite COWBOY:bow:

NovaCowboy

Benched
Reaction score
Rack said:

Umm... since youre passing out kudos to that 95 team, how about QB?

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
BAZ said:

this is so blown out of proportion....yeah he may have pushed off a few times, but he was an awesome route runner and was open virtually every play on his own...and while two knee injuries robbed him of some speed, he still could get deep it seemed at will

the guy was the best WR in frootball from 1991-1996...everyone knew he was going to get it, and nobody could stop him

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
NovaCowboy said:
Umm... since youre passing out kudos to that 95 team, how about QB?

no doubt about it...#8 was money in the bank...

give me the #1 pick of any QB in their prime, and I'll take Aikman any day of the week over anyone else to play the last 20 years or so

David

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:

give me the #1 pick of any QB in their prime, and I'll take Aikman any day of the week over anyone else to play the last 20 years or so

David

Come on now......he was great, yes, but Marino? Montana? Elway?

jem88

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:

David
We don't always agree, but I'm right with you on that one. It's criminal how underrated Troy Aikman is/was. I know that sounds funny considering he's a HOFer, but I'd take him anyday over Steve Young, Brett Favre, Payton Manning and perhaps even Dan Marino (I know many will disagree with that one.) Only Elway and Montana will I concede as being better than Troy.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Come on now......he was great, yes, but Marino? Montana? Elway?

yep...I'm taking Aikman...I'll still win my championships with him over those guys...nobody could throw with the accuracy and arm strength combination that Aikman had in his prime...

I was at training camp in 1992 for a week, and the only ball that hit the ground in an Aikman live offense vs defense practice was a ball that was dropped by Alvin Harper, that was against arguably the fastest defense put on the field of its time...other stories of his amazing accuracy (like the William Tell thing with the football) are legend

David

Eddie

Reaction score
Wow, to think ... we'd only win ONE more playoff game after that Super Bowl year.

Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Eddie said:
Wow, to think ... we'd only win ONE more playoff game after that Super Bowl year.

Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

thats what happens when you put in the salary cap and free agency...combine that with the wasted yrs of that boneheaded trio or Switzer, Gailey and Campo, and you get what we had

no salary cap and maybe Norv Turner instead of Switzer, this team wins 2 or 3 other super bowls pretty easy

David

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
yep...I'm taking Aikman...I'll still win my championships with him over those guys...nobody could throw with the accuracy and arm strength combination that Aikman had in his prime...

I was at training camp in 1992 for a week, and the only ball that hit the ground in an Aikman live offense vs defense practice was a ball that was dropped by Alvin Harper, that was against arguably the fastest defense put on the field of its time...other stories of his amazing accuracy (like the William Tell thing with the football) are legend

David

Sorry, but Joe Montana won more SBs with less around him than Aikman. John Elway got his team to 5 SBs and won 2, and was simply a better QB. Marino was the greatest QB to ever walk onto a football field and just never got any help.

Put Marino or Elway especially back there, we win the 1994 SB as well as the 1996 SB. Thats 5 straight.