Watkins: according to Stephen, Cowboy needs are DL, TE, S and RB

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Putting this in perspective.......remember we're looking for starters at TE and S but depth at DL and RB.
Without Gregory / Irving, we are looking at needing at least 1 starting quality player on the DL. Without Beezy, we need a slot WR.

At TE - Jarwin and Schultz is FINE.... if we can keep Swaim for another year, we are OK at TE.

RB2 is a need, but Zeke hasn't really had injuries problems. If necessary, rolling with Rod Smith for another year is FINE.

S - Woods is solid, and improving. Heath is what he is, and we can upgrade over him. Hopefully we can address this by signing ET at a friendly deal.

If we lose Lee and / or Wilson, LB becomes a big need.

+ OL depth is necessary.

Not looking pretty guys.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Without Gregory / Irving, we are looking at needing at least 1 starting quality player on the DL. Without Beezy, we need a slot WR.

At TE - Jarwin and Schultz is FINE.... if we can keep Swaim for another year, we are OK at TE.

RB2 is a need, but Zeke hasn't really had injuries problems. If necessary, rolling with Rod Smith for another year is FINE.

S - Woods is solid, and improving. Heath is what he is, and we can upgrade over him. Hopefully we can address this by signing ET at a friendly deal.

If we lose Lee and / or Wilson, LB becomes a big need.

+ OL depth is necessary.

Not looking pretty guys.

Stephen already said Hurns will replace Beasley.
Safety will be addressed with ET or 58 IMO
TE will be addressed with Eiferd or 58 IMO
DL will be addressed from the free agent bargain bin IMO
OL depth will be addressed resigning Fleming or free agency ( bargain bin )

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I’m terms of positions I’d address with pick #58, TE and S would not be at the top of the list.

I’m really presuming we sign Earl Thomas at safety, but the news of Irving and Gregory create new glaring needs that have to be addressed.

You can at least blink your eyes at TE and convince yourself another Jarwin, Schultz, etc. will improve. You can’t do that at DE.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Not keen on Wren but I like Omenihu

At what position?

I like him too but he screams Crawford to me. Love the size and length, but doesn’t have the burst to play the edge at the next level.

Maybe he can be a 3T.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Putting this in perspective.......remember we're looking for starters at TE and S but depth at DL and RB.

Depth at DL? You good with the starters we’re rolling out at DT? Dudes are just bodies...we HAVE to upgrade there.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Depth at DL? You good with the starters we’re rolling out at DT? Dudes are just bodies...we HAVE to upgrade there.
yup and odds of finding a rookie that can come in here and be that upgrade immediately are next to zero. Need to dive into free agency and be aggressive at DT /DE AND SAFETY. NO OTHER CHOICE.

cnuball21

Reaction score
yup and odds of finding a rookie that can come in here and be that upgrade immediately are next to zero. Need to dive into free agency and be aggressive at DT /DE AND SAFETY. NO OTHER CHOICE.

Id be fine to grab someone in FA but it will be someone that’s fairly reasonable in price and basically an Insurance policy for the development of the DT we draft.

I think you’ll be surprised at the level of talent available with our first pick.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

Woods and Collins are fine..... not to mention we can also move Crawford inside. Chances of finding an upgraded DT w/o a high draft pick or spending quite a bit $$$$ ( we don't have ) pretty slim.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Woods and Collins are fine..... not to mention we can also move Crawford inside. Chances of finding an upgraded DT w/o a high draft pick or spending quite a bit $$$$ ( we don't have ) pretty slim.

I would strongly, strongly disagree we are fine at DT.

You saw against some playoff caliber teams down the stretch we didn’t just get beat, we got bullied against the run.

In a deep draft at DT, there will be plenty of talent available that can develop into being better than what we have inside the top 100.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I would strongly, strongly disagree we are fine at DT.

You saw against some playoff caliber teams down the stretch we didn’t just get beat, we got bullied against the run.

In a deep draft at DT, there will be plenty of talent available that can develop into being better than what we have inside the top 100.

If you're talking the Rams game, that was an exception. No idea what happened but it was by far our worst defensive game of the year for PLAYERS and COACHES. THE ENTIRE D laid an egg. Jaylon Smith admitted after the game that game forced them to use their eyes. So it was just the DTs that had a bad day. In fact, our rush defense for the year was top 5, yes top

5. http://www.nfl.com/teams/dallascowboys/statistics?team=DAL

Sydla

Reaction score
Even if they bring in a DE high in this draft, they need to bring in a legit vet starting DE. We've seen from Crawford and Gregory and Lawrence and Charlton............. these guys need time to develop, they don't come in and start to dominate.