News: Watkins: Some injured Cowboys' could be limited

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ARLINGTON, Texas -- When the Dallas Cowboys open training camp practices in Oxnard, Calif., on Sunday, several players could be slowed in their return from injuries.

Quarterback Tony Romo (back) has been cleared to practice, but defensive end DeMarcus Ware (shoulder), defensive tackle Jay Ratliff (sports hernia) guard Mackenzy Bernadeau (shoulder) and Danny Coale (knee) could be limited in the early portions of training camp practices.

"We'll have to monitor those guys and a couple of guys and see how they are," Garrett said Thursday afternoon from Cowboys Stadium. "We'll do the conditioning test on day 1 of training camp and see where they are physically after that and make some decision. We have a plan for each of those guys going into it, based on what their injury has been and different start dates for some guys, different ways to work back into training camp and work back into football."

Read the rest: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4710200/some-injured-cowboys-could-be-limited

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Any scoop on where Coale is in his recovery?

iRepDatStar

Reaction score
i just pray we have no injuries this year... but thats almost impossible to do

Reaction score
it's weird when the 7 month off-season ends and there are players who are still recovering from last year's injuries,,, those are some nasty injuries.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
it's weird when the 7 month off-season ends and there are players who are still recovering from last year's injuries,,, those are some nasty injuries.

Keep in mind several of those players are limited due to offseason surgeries due to either injuries suffered last season or simply players advancing in years.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would like to know where Livings is at with his knee. To me that's a big, big issue that we've heard little about.

Reaction score
it's weird when the 7 month off-season ends and there are players who are still injured from last year,,, those are some nasty injuries.
Keep in mind several of those players are limited due to offseason surgeries due to either injuries suffered last season or simply players advancing in years.

Well, yeah,,, i guess, we all know who these players are and how old they are. My post was referring to those players(Ware/Ratliff) that are recovering from the same injuries they ended their season with 7 months ago. That's a long time.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, yeah,,, i guess, we all know who these players are and how old they are. My post was referring to those players(Ware/Ratliff) that are recovering from the same injuries they ended their season with 7 months ago. That's a long time.

That's a valid point.

Keep in mind that they could be behind (also) because they haven't been able to participate in offseason workouts like the other players. So it may not be an injury issue but a conditioning issue.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Y
I would like to know where Livings is at with his knee. To me that's a big, big issue that we've heard little about.

Yeah, I'm disappointed continuing to hear about injury issues yet again limiting offensive line starters. This team really needs to get it together with that group.

dart

Reaction score
I don't like the defensive tackle Jay Ratliff (sports hernia)

so why is'nt he getting a operation - bet we don't see him this year again

Symptoms of a sports hernia include:
  • Pain in the lower abdomen
  • Pain in the groin
  • Pain in the testicle (males)
  • Persistent pain lasting over a month
Often, patients report a history of chronic groin pain but experience relief from rest. However, the situation worsens with every run, cut, forward bend or other movement where the groin is strained. Most hernia patients cannot remember a specific injury for the onset. Rather, the initial tear is compounded as a group of small tears due to continued participation in athletic activities.

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
I definitely would let Ware take it easy until that shoulder gets completely healthy....

Reaction score
I'm really not all too worried about Berny's injury. I am not too worried about him being on the field either, to be honest. He is a back-up caliber talent and I want to see what Leary/Killer K can do in place of him.

Reaction score
That's a valid point.

Keep in mind that they could be behind (also) because they haven't been able to participate in offseason workouts like the other players. So it may not be an injury issue but a conditioning issue.
That's a valid point.

True, hopefully that's all it is...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Any scoop on where Coale is in his recovery?

I don't think he practiced during the OTAs and mini-camp; however, I think he was running and cutting in side work with the trainers.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I definitely would let Ware take it easy until that shoulder gets completely healthy....

Yes, the Cowboys should do whatever it takes to give players like Ware, Ratliff and Austin the best chance of being healthy for game 1. How much full speed practice time do those guys really need? Even with the defensive scheme change, it don't see Ware and Ratliff needing full speed reps to learn it. I would prefer them learning on the fly in game 1 and being healthy over being injured for game 1.

Nirvana

Reaction score
I don't like the defensive tackle Jay Ratliff (sports hernia)

so why is'nt he getting a operation - bet we don't see him this year again

Symptoms of a sports hernia include:
  • Pain in the lower abdomen
  • Pain in the groin
  • Pain in the testicle (males)
  • Persistent pain lasting over a month
Often, patients report a history of chronic groin pain but experience relief from rest. However, the situation worsens with every run, cut, forward bend or other movement where the groin is strained. Most hernia patients cannot remember a specific injury for the onset. Rather, the initial tear is compounded as a group of small tears due to continued participation in athletic activities.

He got the hernia operation back in December. That said, I have my concerns about him being healthy for the season as well. He should be ready to go by now I would think, but the point above about conditioning is hopefully the reason.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/8744630/jay-ratliff-dallas-cowboys-surgery-sports-hernia

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I've read elsewhere that we are very healthy going into camp this year. Also that Ware, Ratliff and Leary are ready to go. This is an article by Calvin Watkins, so accuracy isn't a strong point. It's simply Watkins looking at who didn't practice for OTAs and extrapolating to TC without looking into it. There are a few article out there that directly contradict Watkin's assertion that injuries are lingering.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've read elsewhere that we are very healthy going into camp this year. Also that Ware, Ratliff and Leary are ready to go. This is an article by Calvin Watkins, so accuracy isn't a strong point. It's simply Watkins looking at who didn't practice for OTAs and extrapolating to TC without looking into it. There are a few article out there that directly contradict Watkin's assertion that injuries are lingering.

Did Leary have a problem?

I didn't hear of that.