Way to go Jerry. Finally

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I actually wanted to see what this version of the Cowboys could do without Zeke and I still think we will see a little bit of that against the giants. Zeke isn't ready for a full game.

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
One cannot presume to know what the Elliott camp asked for at the beginning of the negotiation -- in terms of total dollars, guaranteed dollars and contract structure. In reality, we will never know whether the Cowboys won significant concessions and if so exactly what concessions they won. Speculation is just that. As to the impact of Jones' posturing, again, who knows? I find a great deal about which to fault Jones during the past two decades-plus, but he clearly knows how to negotiate a deal. One cannot presume to know whether his public statements had a negative, a neutral or a positive impact. In the end, of course, the checkbook does the talking, and that is true in most any business.

I don't think Jones could be wholly benign. While the Cowboys needed to get this deal done, they didn't need to appear to roll over like a puppy. That might have encouraged others to hold out in similar fashion. Who knows whether the team-friendly deals with Jaylon and Collins might have been done in similar fashion if Jones hadn't shown at least some significant annoyance with the approach taken by Elliott and his agent. Beyond that, Jones might have wanted to send a message to the agent, with whom he could do future deals. One never knows.

I suspect -- though I certainly don't know -- the Cowboys were pretty content to have Elliott come in near the beginning of the regular season. They weren't going to expose him much in training camp or in the preseason. They probably hoped to get the deal done a little more quickly -- but that might be measured in days rather than in weeks.

In the end, the future will tell us whether this is a good deal. We shall see.

Loso86

Reaction score
Lol exactly what I thought. You know nothing.

Bottom line is you didn't know what you were talking about, and still don't. Making up escape hatches, now that's cute.
Dude grow up I just dont have time to argue with you with what you will realize later! Trust I know well what the deal is lol smh.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Yes, it is Jerry's fault for dragging this out and all the drama. The Cowboys should just bend over immediately every time somebody demands a new contract.
Yeah, who knows how these negotiations played out. It seems there was a ton of back and forth to get to this point. The original offers could have been structured completely different. All coming back to the same guarantee but the structure is very important

aria

Reaction score
When you’re celebrating an owner/GM’s move that is mocked around the NFL for making notoriously bad personnel decisions you should probably think a little more about exactly what you’re celebrating.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Its not 8 years 103 Million. The extension was 6 years 90 million. We already had him under contract for those additional two years. Fans are so easily fooled into thinking that the adding the remaining contract in should make us feel better about the AAV.

So what you're saying is that.... well no real clue.

Every single contract has suspension clauses lol

As I said he set new RB records in total contract, AAV, guarantees, and new money. Is there ANYTHING he didnt set record highs in the WHOLE contract?

So, he set the market in 2021 then, not the market in 2019. There is a big difference there!

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
So, he set the market in 2021 then, not the market in 2019. There is a big difference there!

If that's how you would like to look at it.

Then Gurley set the market in 2020 not last year. It's still setting the market and paying the highest dollar. Doesnt help our CAP either way.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Some of us thought they'd sign him, but didn't want to sign him to what he was asking merely due to his off-the-field behavior risks.
In the end only his performance and impact on the field factored in.

And there were many others who had more issues extending him than his off field risk.

aikemirv

Reaction score
If that's how you would like to look at it.

Then Gurley set the market in 2020 not last year. It's still setting the market and paying the highest dollar. Doesnt help our CAP either way.

I guess we will have to look at the details....

Gurleys has this :
POTENTIAL OUT: 2022, 4 YR, $49,000,000; $4,200,000 DEAD CAP - that's 12.25 million per year

Lets see what Zeke has because those are the numbers that really matter.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I guess we will have to look at the details....

Gurleys has this :
POTENTIAL OUT: 2022, 4 YR, $49,000,000; $4,200,000 DEAD CAP - that's 12.25 million per year

Lets see what Zeke has because those are the numbers that really matter.

I feel so bad for the Rams. Not until '22!?!?!? Geeze that's an awful contract.

And Zeke got more guaranteed at $50M so ours will likely be even worse. '24 hurry on up. Ughhhh

And it's weird they dont add the dead cap into the per year numbers. That's really four years $13.3M not $12.25

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Well done to all the parties involved to finish this. Now, let's have some fun this season.

f0ae39c118a27a3e5e386e2aa273cc6877d2a18e_00.gif

Tommy

Reaction score
This could have been resolved much earlier if he’d set his ego aside.

We knew where this headed when we set the Gurley contract as the starting point in negotiations.

I’ll give Stephen credit for seeing this thru and Jerry finally signing off on it. I felt pretty good this was going to happen before season begun but the drama dragging out wasn’t necessary . Almost seemed intentional by Big Daddy.

Now we can get the Dak deal done.
Cool story. It’s always nice to hear from someone who was in the room during negotiations.

Thanks.

aikemirv

Reaction score
I feel so bad for the Rams. Not until '22!?!?!? Geeze that's an awful contract.

And Zeke got more guaranteed at $50M so ours will likely be even worse. '24 hurry on up. Ughhhh

And it's weird they dont add the dead cap into the per year numbers. That's really four years $13.3M not $12.25
It's only awful if his knees give out. If the guy is half your offense in touches, and productive, how can he not be worth it in comparison to other positions and salary.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
It's only awful if his knees give out. If the guy is half your offense in touches, and productive, how can he not be worth it in comparison to other positions and salary.
Noooo, it's even worse when you can have a 260 pound guy from off ththe streets come in and average more yards per game and touchdowns per game than the guy you committed $15M to until at least '22.

It's oppurnity cost. If a guy has half your production yet isnt making a positive impact on winning football games you don't double down and lock him up for the foreseeable future and make it to where he has less talent around him.

Watkins got more than Zeke. This is because WRs help you win games astronomically more than RBs do, despite Watkins being a much worse player.