Way too early mock off season + 5 round mock

tm1119

Reaction score
Resign- LVE, Wilson, McGovern, and Rush

Cut- Lewis, Gallimore, Zeke (post June 1)

Trade- Tyron (pure guess but I’ll say a 3rd rd pick)- He showed he can still play and his contract is still fairly reasonable for what good starting OT’s get on the open market.

FA- Justice Hill(RB), Parris Campbell(WR), Irv Smith Jr(TE), Corey Littleton(LB), Andrew Billings(DT), Geron Christian(OT), Matt Gay(K)

1st- DT Gervon Dexter Florida
2nd- RB Tank Bigsby Auburn
3rd- CB Tiawan Mullen Indiana
3rd- WR- Xavier Hutchinson Iowa State
4th- G/C- Steve Avila TCU
Trade 2 comp 5ths for a late 4th
4th- DE Adetomiwa Adebawore North Western
5th- QB Todd Centeio James Madison
Not going to attempt 6/7 right now but would target more D depth at LB/S/CB…possibly a kicker.

QB- Dak, Rush, Centeio
RB- Bigsby, Hill, Davis
OL- Smith, McGovern, Biadiaz, Martin, Steele
Christian, Ball, Avila, Farniok/Collins/Waletzco,
TE- Ferguson, Smith Jr, Hendershot, McKeon
WR- Lamb, Gallup, Campbell, Hutchinson, Tolbert, Turpin

DT- Dexter, Osa, Hankins, Billings
DE- Parsons, DLaw, Armstrong, Williams, Gholston, Adebawore
LB- LVE, Littleton, Clark, Cox, Harper
CB- Diggs, Bland, Mullen, Mukuamu, Joseph
S- Kearse, Hooker, Wilson, Bell, Wright

Gay, Anger, Overton

exciter

Reaction score

Trade- Tyron (pure guess but I’ll say a 3rd rd pick)- He showed he can still play and his contract is still fairly reasonable for what good starting OT’s get on the open market.

FA- Justice Hill(RB), Parris Campbell(WR), Irv Smith Jr(TE), Corey Littleton(LB), Andrew Billings(DT), Geron Christian(OT), Matt Gay(K)

Not going to attempt 6/7 right now but would target more D depth at LB/S/CB…possibly a kicker.

QB- Dak, Rush, Centeio
RB- Bigsby, Hill, Davis

Gay, Anger, Overton
Why would you make Galimore a June 1st cut, he’s on a rookie contract? Might as well bring him to camp for nothing else than for snap distribution!

tm1119

Reaction score
Why would you make Galimore a June 1st cut, he’s on a rookie contract? Might as well bring him to camp for nothing else than for snap distribution!
Zeke is the only post June 1 cut. Gallimore is cut because the 2.75M saved by cutting him can go to someone that is actually useful.

raven55

Reaction score
dream on zeke may get cut but dumb and dumber are at the helm and that ship has already when over the falls

Sully

Reaction score

QB- Dak, Rush, Centeio
RB- Bigsby, Hill, Davis

Gay, Anger, Overton
Have no problem with this IF IF IF Dallas then gets a SOLID WR in free agency. Not a James Washington

TheDank

Reaction score
Gervon Dexter has no get off. Literally the last guy off the line every play. Also struggles getting washed by double teams. He’s great at shedding blocks and seems to have plus athleticism, but his get off is so bad I could never take him in round 1. Would have to have some strong evidence that it was a coaching or technique issue.

I do like Bigsby, but with this class I feel like there’s talent through the 4th or 5th at RB

Don’t think cutting Gallimore is a good move. If you get a 3 for Tyron I’m ok moving on, but I don’t mind having him at RT, LG or as the swing either.

Overall this plan feels like we’re spinning our wheels or even coming into the year with less talent than 2022. The 9ers game to me showed we have to get another weapon on offense. The regular season exposed holes at LG (I feel like McGovern was our weak link), DT (specifically 1T, but an upgrade at 3T helps too) and outside corner. If we want to be playing this time next year I think we have to mortgage some 2024 capital and spend in FA.

tm1119

Reaction score
Have no problem with this IF IF IF Dallas then gets a SOLID WR in free agency. Not a James Washington
Well I do think if Gallup is back to his normal self with the knee back to full strength next year it will make a huge difference. He was pretty much a non factor all year and was the closest thing to a #2 wr we had.
But Parris Campbell + a (non division 1AA) rookie WR should be enough of an addition to help the offense. Quality options for Dak was more the issue in my opinion. If teams took away Lamb he had no one else that could create separation and get open (not that that was Dak’s only problem). Campbell is 6’ and ran a 4.31 at the combine with a 40” vert. Can play the slot or be a deep ball threat on the outside. Add in a rookie that knows how to run routes and has reliable hands and I think the offense would open a lot more vs relying on Noah Brown and TY Hilton/Whoever

Sully

Reaction score
Well I do think if Gallup is back to his normal self with the knee back to full strength next year it will make a huge difference. He was pretty much a non factor all year and was the closest thing to a #2 wr we had.
But Parris Campbell + a (non division 1AA) rookie WR should be enough of an addition to help the offense. Quality options for Dak was more the issue in my opinion. If teams took away Lamb he had no one else that could create separation and get open (not that that was Dak’s only problem). Campbell is 6’ and ran a 4.31 at the combine with a 40” vert. Can play the slot or be a deep ball threat on the outside. Add in a rookie that knows how to run routes and has reliable hands and I think the offense would open a lot more vs relying on Noah Brown and TY Hilton/Whoever
Sorry but this franchise can't take that chance again. For (2) straight season, Gallup has not had 500 receiving yards. And with Moore gone and McCarthy now taking on the play calling role, McCarthy is now under the pressure to produce. This team will get a real WR2. Gallup is at best a WR3 and with his last two season, he is playing as a WR4 ( along with Noah Brown) I say get a free agent for the WR2 spot so not to take a chance on a rookie ( as Dallas tried with Jalen Tolbert who was a bust).

tm1119

Reaction score
Gervon Dexter has no get off. Literally the last guy off the line every play. Also struggles getting washed by double teams. He’s great at shedding blocks and seems to have plus athleticism, but his get off is so bad I could never take him in round 1. Would have to have some strong evidence that it was a coaching or technique issue.

I do like Bigsby, but with this class I feel like there’s talent through the 4th or 5th at RB

Don’t think cutting Gallimore is a good move. If you get a 3 for Tyron I’m ok moving on, but I don’t mind having him at RT, LG or as the swing either.

Overall this plan feels like we’re spinning our wheels or even coming into the year with less talent than 2022. The 9ers game to me showed we have to get another weapon on offense. The regular season exposed holes at LG (I feel like McGovern was our weak link), DT (specifically 1T, but an upgrade at 3T helps too) and outside corner. If we want to be playing this time next year I think we have to mortgage some 2024 capital and spend in FA.
We can agree to disagree on Dexter. While he was slow off the line at times, he was also perfectly fine off the snap plenty of times. Important to remember he’s not a tradition 3 tech built purely on speed, he’s 6’5 315-320. He plays with power and uses his long arms great, and as you said, the athleticism is there to get in the backfield and chase down the qb and make plays. And most guys get washed out by double teams, that’s the point of the technique. The few that don’t aren’t capable pass rushers.

As far as Bigsby- I think he’s in the 2nd tier of RB’s behind Robinson and Gibbs with another 4-5 guys. Pass on drafting 1 of those guys at the end of the 3rd and you are likely drafting from a different tier at the end of the 4th.

And I already posted above why I like a healthy Gallup, Parris Campbell and another rookie would change the offense.

But all fair points. I do always try to do these with some realism. I just don’t see the Jones’ boys suddenly flipping the script and making any big splash moves

tm1119

Reaction score
Sorry but this franchise can't take that chance again. For (2) straight season, Gallup has not had 500 receiving yards. And with Moore gone and McCarthy now taking on the play calling role, McCarthy is now under the pressure to produce. This team will get a real WR2. Gallup is at best a WR3 and with his last two season, he is playing as a WR4 ( along with Noah Brown) I say get a free agent for the WR2 spot so not to take a chance on a rookie ( as Dallas tried with Jalen Tolbert who was a bust).
You haven’t looked at the WR free agent class yet have you? The best options are DJ Chark, Allen Lazard, Jakobi Myers, Darius Slayton and JuJu. Maybe a trade could happen, but that would likely be costly if you want a very good WR here.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

QB- Dak, Rush, Centeio
RB- Bigsby, Hill, Davis

Gay, Anger, Overton

Dexter being late off the snap is not a physical issue.

He is really good at shedding blocks.

Reminds me a little of the college version of Chris Jones.

Play style similar to the 49ers Arik Armstead.

Malhavoc

Reaction score

Would you rather Dexter in the 1st or Benton in the 2nd ?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Let me start by saying it is REALLY hard to do a mock off-season.
So many moving parts.
And it is nearly impossible to have quality mock drafts in early February.
So kudos for the effort there.

All that said there are some glaring issues I'd have with this plan.

--Somevery solid moves. I'm in on all 4 though I do want to see numbers, especially on Rush.

--Zeke I am in on. Gallimore makes zero sense. He saves you no real money. His escalators are for past performance. And Lewis?? He is currently your starting nickel same as he was last year. That moves makes no sense to me unless he is still injured in which case he can't be cut to save money.

--- Tyron isn't netting you an R3. You could potentially find a trade partner, but his games missed total is known through the out the league. At best you are talking R5.
UNLESS you keep him to start the year and then trade him after the draft to a desperate team.
I'd far more interested in designating him a June 2nd cut then re-signing him June 3rd on the cheap. --say 5M 1 year deal to be the swing OT.

--Hill is gonna be cheap so wouldn't mind him as 3rd back option. No wear and tear as he's never gotten carries.
--Campbell is going to resign in Indy IMO. They have cap space and he's a young, ascending guy who played close by.
--Smith Jr has played 8 games in 2 years. not sure he'd eb on my radar given we have depth but need a starter.
--Littleton is interesting as he was really key for the Rams on his rookie deal but has now been bouncing around a bit. Can't say I watched much Panthers last year.
--Billings I am in on nay big boy we can sign.
-- PFF says Christian is awful and he played next to no snaps this year but I wouldn't rule him out totally. Does have LT experience.
--Gay I am in on.

As a whole I wouldn't love this draft but I'd specifically dislike trading 2 picks ot move up a round and take an edge. An Edge who wouldn't get snaps on this defense for a couple years.
Dexter is an athletic freak who needs tons of technique and discipline work. He plays way too high.
Tank would be a great get in R3 but in 2 he's a reach IMO.
Hutchinson I really like as a WCO WR prospect.
And i like the interior choice in R4 there for depth and development.
I know zero about the QB.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

Arik Armstead is a great comparison there for Dexter but keep in mind it took Armstead like 4 years to pop. Dexter needs the technique and discipline work Armstead had over years.
I'm not taking him R1. Likely to be far better on his second deal.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
I would not take Dexter in round 1, but he’s the kind of DL player we should be looking at. Mazi Smith and Benton are other guys we hould be looking at as well.

JBS

Reaction score
Offensive weapons as of today suck

Offensive weapons after your offseason plan - still suck..they actually suck even more

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Arik Armstead is a great comparison there for Dexter but keep in mind it took Armstead like 4 years to pop. Dexter needs the technique and discipline work Armstead had over years.
I'm not taking him R1. Likely to be far better on his second deal.
Dexter is bigger. Maybe +20 pounds.
- He's probably in the first 16 picks of the 2nd round at the latest.

Armstead has become a master of technique and scheme. He is neither a 320+ type monster or uber quick
twitch type player but he is terrific vs run and is a decent pass rusher also.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Would you rather Dexter in the 1st or Benton in the 2nd ?
Good question.

Dexter has the potential to be a true 3 down player. Those types get mega contracts when they become free agents.

I need to watch more footage of Benton but you might be choosing between Chris Jones and Malcom Brown...

raven55

Reaction score
nate newton said one thing i agree with there 86 people over on the other side of the building that will play next year so have any of the new people except maybe 5 will make a difference because this draft WON'T. so stop dreaming after 27 years of jerry's bs you really think we're going to be any closer to the super bowl, his grand kids will be in charge and every one will still say the draft next year puts us closer what a pity