WCQ: USA vs Costa Rica 9/1/17 5:55pm Central Time

BigD16

Reaction score
Hi everybody!
So tomorrow USA looks to get some revenge on Costa Rica after their embarrassing loss in the away game. Can boy-wonder Christian Pulisic lead them to victory? I sure hope so!
I was hoping we could use this as a pregame, gamethread and post game (not sure if anybody here even watches soccer).

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The US under Arena looks very changed and I think this team will ride Pulisic and others to victory.
Costa Rica and to a lesser extent Mexico games have largely been decided by the home team.

This being in New York area probably helps as well. It's about as far away in total miles you can get and that brings a drastic difference in climate. Its cool and windy in NJ right now.

Pulisic is the true heir apparent to Landon Donovan as a 10 or wing. He's truly world class and impacts the Bundesliga in a way no American ever has.
If he stays healthy and fit there is a very real chance he goes down as the greatest American male to ever play the sport.

He reminds me very much of my current favorite player, Eden Hazard.

BigD16

Reaction score
The US under Arena looks very changed and I think this team will ride Pulisic and others to victory.
Costa Rica and to a lesser extent Mexico games have largely been decided by the home team.

This being in New York area probably helps as well. It's about as far away in total miles you can get and that brings a drastic difference in climate. Its cool and windy in NJ right now.

Pulisic is the true heir apparent to Landon Donovan as a 10 or wing. He's truly world class and impacts the Bundesliga in a way no American ever has.
If he stays healthy and fit there is a very real chance he goes down as the greatest American male to ever play the sport.

He reminds me very much of my current favorite player, Eden Hazard.
Yeah Arena does a better job of playing these guys in more comfortable positions. Pulisic right now (if he never even improves) is already the most technically skilled US soccer player in history and it's not even close (he just needs time to rack up all the acollades). There's a very good chance he'll be at a super elite club by the end of next summer. Watching pulisic these past 2 weeks with borussia Dortmund just shows how good he is as being the primary creative player with no Dembele and Reus (hurt as usual). Not only his skill with the ball, but also his vision, workrate, and understanding of positioning without the ball. Once his body is fully matured it's gonna be another story.

Yes I agree about the game being in New York being a great thing. We'll actually have a home field advantage.

I like the lineup that Bruce came out with. Lots of creative players up front and through the midfield with Johnson, Nagbe, and pulisic feeding bobby wood and altidore. We're gonna need that to break the Costa Rica bunker.

Here's to the Yanks getting 3 points!

BigD16

Reaction score
US center backs are going to be the end of them.

The rest of the team is playing well. Just need to finish.
John Brooks is sorely missed. Need to fast track Cameron carter Vickers and/or call in miazga. At this point I'll take besler over Ream. Zusi has been our best defender, just sad.

Also, this ref is pure trash. Clear penalty not called, also allowing Costa Rica to maul our players on the ball. Pulisic takes a late cheap shot and a foul wasn't even called. Typical trash CONCACAF refs.

joseephuss

Reaction score
They looked disorganized and uninspired. Kind of like they have a re-tread for a manager.

BigD16

Reaction score
What a disgraceful performance. It's one thing to be outplayed and it's another thing to be outhustled. Costa Rica was physical and committed tough fouls all game. Hercules Gomez made a good point in the post-game saying Bryan Ruiz was allowed to create and was never fouled, yet pulisic was on his butt all game which clearly got in his head.

In the end in comes down to coaching. Costa Rica is proof that organization can triumph over talent. There's so much more I wanna say but whatever, I'm just so pissed.

BigD16

Reaction score
Oh and another thing, how ******* embarrassing to play in a city with such a huge Costa Rica population. This was just another away game. "Ole" chants all game.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Yea, was prolly the last qualifier we see in NY area.

But that was just woof....

Tim Howard had his worst game in forever and the defense is pathetic.
Ream and Zusi have no business playing at the international level.

Costa Rica played Italian level defense and they capitalized on the counter. Well played to them.