We are so handicapped on Offense with Garrett and Linehan

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
We consistently have a slow methodical tempo on offense. Almost never speed up the tempo unless we are forced to due to time running out in the game. Dak actually did a good job with a fast tempo vs the Skins late in the 4th. We will probably never see it again, unless forced too! We are consistently one of the most predictable teams in the league, probably the most predictable. Being predictable makes it harder for your players to get in position to make plays( example for an O lineman to run block a D lineman who knows it’s a run). EVEN, when we are not predictable, Garrett and Linehan do not consistently design plays which put our players in position to make plays more easily. Our receivers are consistently asked to beat coverage, man to man or zone, with little help from the coaches. Examples of ways to help our guys make plays: crossing routes which include simple rub routes(NE and Atlanta), 2 receivers set up to block right as the 3rd receiver catches the ball(GB does well), bubble screens(Pitt), creative running plays(NO, KC), using RB consistently in the passing game(NE, Pitt, many other teams), Beasley fakes short and splits the double coverage. Garrett and Linehan do not CONSISTENTLY allow Dak to do what he does best, RPO’s, read option). How come we almost never see this flea flicker: Zek up the middle then flip it back to Dak. NE runs that play 3-4 times a year and their run game up the middle is not the threat ours is( use to be ). Coaching Matters a lot. Two years ago the Rams were the worst Offense in the NFL with Goff as their QB and Fisher as their HC. Last year they were the best Offense with Goff as their QB and McVay as their HC. Troy Aikman mentioned last week how a QB in a bad system( Goff his rookie year ), could wallow around for years, then bloom with a creative coach.

Last edited:

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
We consistently have a slow methodical tempo on offense. Almost never speed up the tempo unless we are forced to due to time running out in the game. Dak actually did a good job with a fast tempo vs the Skins late in the 4th. We will probably never see it again, unless forced too! We are consistently one of the most predictable teams in the league, probably the most predictable. Being predictable makes it harder for your players to get in position to make plays( example for an O lineman to run block a D lineman who knows it’s a run). EVEN, when we are not predictable, Garrett and Linehan do not consistently design plays which put our players in position to make plays more easily. Our receivers are consistently asked to beat coverage, man to man or zone, with little help from the coaches. Examples of ways to help our guys make plays: crossing routes which include simple rub routes(NE and Atlanta), 2 receivers set up to block right as the 3rd receiver catches the ball(GB does well), bubble screens(Pitt), creative running plays(NO, KC), using RB consistently in the passing game(NE, Pitt, many other teams), Beasley fakes short and splits the double coverage. Garrett and Linehan do not CONSISTENTLY allow Dak to do what he does best, RPO’s, read option). How come we almost never see this flea flicker: Zek up the middle then flip it back to Dak. NE runs that play 3-4 times a year and their run game up the middle is not the threat ours is( use to be ). Coaching Matters a lot. Two years ago the Rams were the worst Offense in the NFL with Goff as their QB and Fisher as their HC. Last year they were the best Offense with Goff as their QB and McVay as their HC. Troy Aikman mentioned last week how a QB in a bad system( Goff his rookie year ), could wallow around for years, then bloom with a creative coach.

Our offensive coaching staff are idiots. Once we have something working they scrap it. Then they keep trying things that don't work like run Zeke straight up the middle on 8 man fronts.

We replace those two coaching clowns our offense will improve. Otherwise, we are mired in mediocrity.

DC Cowboy

Reaction score

he actually did well with a no huddle offense his rookie year.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
he actually did well with a no huddle offense his rookie year.
He did. We need to change the tempo once in a while. I think Dak likes the fast tempo. Speeding up the tempo when a team is not ready for it gives your offense an added advantage. I realize we are not NE, but when the speeded up the tempo vs GB on Sunday night they sliced up GB’s D.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We really aren't. Protect the QB, and we're effective enough. Fail to protect him, and things fall apart. Holding call, sacks, strip fumbles These are the things that have cost in in games like CAR and WAS. It isn't the design of the offense, and it isn't the play calling.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
We really aren't. Protect the QB, and we're effective enough. Fail to protect him, and things fall apart. Holding call, sacks, strip fumbles These are the things that have cost in in games like CAR and WAS. It isn't the design of the offense, and it isn't the play calling.
You really have no issues with our Offensive coaching? Game planning, play calling, predictability, in game adjustments, clock management, tempo, creativity, etc. etc. Also, since you are a Staff Member for the Cowboys Zone can you tell me why this post is not posted? I cannot find it. Thanks.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You really have no issues with our Offensive coaching? Game planning, play calling, predictability, in game adjustments, clock management, tempo, creativity, etc. etc. Also, since you are a Staff Member for the Cowboys Zone can you tell me why this post is not posted? I cannot find it. Thanks.

Everybody’s got some issues—we’re a 3-4 team right now. But, no, I don’t think our big issues are at all with coaching. I think that and QB play are what fans complain about regardless.

We’re in the drama zone right now. Maybe that’s why you couldn’t find your post?

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Everybody’s got some issues—we’re a 3-4 team right now. But, no, I don’t think our big issues are at all with coaching. I think that and QB play are what fans complain about regardless.

We’re in the drama zone right now. Maybe that’s why you couldn’t find your post?
We’ll just have to agree to disagree on Garrett and Linehan. Do you know why this post was put in the drama zone? I was not just complaining. I was not emotional. I was stating my opinion and giving reasonable reasons for my opinion.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We’ll just have to agree to disagree on Garrett and Linehan. Do you know why this post was put in the drama zone? I was not just complaining. I was not emotional. I was stating my opinion and giving reasonable reasons for my opinion.

I don’t know. Presumably because it’s primarily an emotionally-based opinion on a topic that’s been covered many times already with other open threads on the same topic. So moving it to an alternative board saves space for more unique or factual threads on the more heavily-trafficked board.