We can still win division and Gilbert needs to start

Jfconrow

Reaction score
Do we want to win the division? That prob pushes Dallas from a top 10 pick to something in the 20s

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
Does anyone even care about those 8 and 8 years where 'we played with heart and won games we shouldn't have'? No.

Give me the higher draft pick than just getting knocked out in the first round of the playoffs, get a mid level draft pick and not significantly elevate the franchise with talent only to repeat another 8 and 8 year the NEXT year. This team is AWFUL in free agency, so the draft is our only real opportunity to add talent to the team. How many of our FA guys are no longer on the team? Like 90%? I don't want any pyrrhic victories. I'm sure the dolphins are glad they were bad enough to draft Tua.

I want some elite talent on this franchise. That's likely the only way we sniff a Superbowl any time in the near future.
Jerry hasn't been real stellar with high draft picks either.

Jipper

Reaction score
Do we want to win the division? That prob pushes Dallas from a top 10 pick to something in the 20s

assuming a 1 and done it would push them to 19th with a 14 team playoff format.

I don’t want to win the division, nothing will change....we will get embarrassed in the playoffs, jerrrry will think we had a good season, we will get a mediocre setup in the draft (which we could still do ok with granted) and we will be starting at 8-8 again with a first place schedule next year....

Like many fans I’m at my end here and think the only thing left is for jerry to be really embarrassed to realize change is needed and even then nothing might change....

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Since Stephen has decided to honor his contract with Dalton, it appears Gilbert rides pine for the time being. I'm hoping that if Andy is unable to win in the remaining games, that GG will be allowed to finish the season and perhaps distinguish himself in the process. He'd be a good choice to be our backup next year, if nothing else. If Dak again demands too much in 2021, it might be interesting to see if GG is given any consideration at all as a potential starter. I'm quite sure he'll be tested in TC next year, at any rate. That should prove fairly interesting, in and of itself. ;)

Last edited:

jnday

Reaction score
I’ve been super negative this year .
I know we suck and will get blown up in playoffs but I’d rather win the division than go for a higher draft pick . There I said it .
Based on how defense is playing and the hope that Gilbert can play a bit better than the Red BB Gun means we can still pull it out .
Cowboys are a game out . Let’s give it a shot! We need Gilbert to start anyway to see what we might have , we know what we have in Dalton .
How would winning the division help this team? They would only prove that they are a turd that stinks less than the other turds in the division. Make no mistake, they would still stink and they would get embarrassed in the playoffs. Having a top five pick would help in rebuilding this team, which is much more important in the long run than winning the worst division in football. It is Super Bowl or nothing for me. 7-9 or 8-8 is an embarrassment and old school fans know it. Raise your expectations and stop being happy with mediocrity.

jnday

Reaction score
I agree. I think building a winning culture; finishing strong with maybe a 5-2 finish (7-9 should take the division); we benefit much more from this than say a top 3 pick. We take the momentum from the strong finish and build on it for next season with 4 key offensive players back from injury. We've got a strong 2020 rookie class which will only be better next year. And hope for another strong 2021 rookie class. Ride Gilbert while the team has confidence in him now.
Have you lost your mind? How is winning a division title with a 7-9 record going to help this team long term over a top three draft pick? If the pick is traded, the team will draft several players that can upgrade the roster. Let’s be honest, winning the division this year is nothing to be proud of.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Yeah, gotta get that top 10 pick so Jerry can grab us another running back, or perhaps the next Mo Claiborne? :muttley:

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
By winning the division this year, you are really losing in the end. Let's count the ways, 1. Jerrah! will take that as being close and doing nothing because he would blame the injuries. 2. Now you are picking 17 to 20, now this team is players away not PLAYER. Fool's gold is what you have not real GOLD. 3. You will be right back here again next year in same spot.

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
How would winning the division help this team? They would only prove that they are a turd that stinks less than the other turds in the division. Make no mistake, they would still stink and they would get embarrassed in the playoffs. Having a top five pick would help in rebuilding this team, which is much more important in the long run than winning the worst division in football. It is Super Bowl or nothing for me. 7-9 or 8-8 is an embarrassment and old school fans know it. Raise your expectations and stop being happy with mediocrity.
Being a cellar dweller this season is worse than mediocrity for me. jmo. There is no guarantee that a high draft pick is going to escalate this team to a contender in future seasons. jmo.

Mk2_Cowboys

Reaction score
Win now, tomorrow ain’t guaranteed for any of us . We won’t do anything with pick anyway with dumb and dumber at the helm.