We could really use a guy like Chris Hope....

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Would really solidify our FS spot. A guy who can hit but has the speed to cover WRs. He would allow RW to roam like he was allowed to do his first 2 years with Woody back there.

CM Duck

I'm breaking the 4th wall...
Reaction score
who does/did he play for last year?

the name sounds familiar, but i don't remember from where.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hope has to be a targeted player for us. Unless BP has his eye on another FS. I really do not trust some draft pick rookie to come in here and start for us. I would rather spend that pick on a LB, DL, WR or OL.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
I would not be against signing Chris Hope...I hope we do..:)

bfelt

Reaction score
After watching today's broadcast of the Pro Bowl strength contest and seeing the strongest men in the NFL after Larry Allen bench press 225 lbs 35 times ot so, I was interested to learn that Hope benched 28 reps coming out of college. By contrast, Roy Williams benched 13 reps. Pretty impressive for Hope. The word out of Pittsburgh forums, however, is that he isn't all that great in coverage or as a tackler. Rather, he's thought of as a serviceable safety. I haven't really paid attention to him, nor have I paid attention to Will Demps or Corey Chavous. Has anyone broken down some film on these free safeties?

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
bfelt said:
After watching today's broadcast of the Pro Bowl strength contest and seeing the strongest men in the NFL after Larry Allen bench press 225 lbs 35 times ot so, I was interested to learn that Hope benched 28 reps coming out of college. By contrast, Roy Williams benched 13 reps. Pretty impressive for Hope. The word out of Pittsburgh forums, however, is that he isn't all that great in coverage or as a tackler. Rather, he's thought of as a serviceable safety. I haven't really paid attention to him, nor have I paid attention to Will Demps or Corey Chavous. Has anyone broken down some film on these free safeties?

Demps gets burned more than Davis, no thanks. Chavous is a ballhawk, but is prone to giving up the big play trying to get a pick or a big hit.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
He had 96 total tackles in 2005. He must be a pretty good tackler to get that many- he's at the top of the league for FS's in tackles.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
DLCassidy said:
He had 96 total tackles in 2005. He must be a pretty good tackler to get that many- he's at the top of the league for FS's in tackles.
That's more than RW got. I wouldn't mind getting some fresh blood via the draft.

montgod

Reaction score
Chris Hope huh? I just "hope" he would be the real deal instead of someone trying to do a Larry Brown and cash out of a superbowl run. I haven't seen a lot of him so I can't say how he would do, but we all know the Boys need a true FS NOW!

kingwhicker

BCRSA
Reaction score
montgod said:
Chris Hope huh? I just "hope" he would be the real deal instead of someone trying to do a Larry Brown and cash out of a superbowl run. I haven't seen a lot of him so I can't say how he would do, but we all know the Boys need a true FS NOW!

Well, he's good at drawing "offensive pass interference" penalties, so let's sign him- somehow I have a feeling he would draw lots of defensive pass intereference penalties and no OPIs if he were in Dallas.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Would really solidify our FS spot. A guy who can hit but has the speed to cover WRs. He would allow RW to roam like he was allowed to do his first 2 years with Woody back there.

Hope is the type of FA we need...meets a need..is young 25/26 and can make plays...Git Er Done Jerrah:)

GoDallas

Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Fox News Channel had a big segment about the Steelers' free agents & both hosts talked about that they think the Steelers cannot afford to lose Hope & they expect the Steelers to resign him immediately.

Hope we get a shot at Hope. I would like to see #31 with a good safety in back of him.

They think Randle El is more likely to go because he probably priced himself too high.

Reaction score
I 'Hope' the Stillers don't sign Hope. For some reason Super Bowl Champs seem to lose more than their share of FAs the next year, & I think Hope is the best FS FA out there. He is only 25, and is overshadowed by Polomalu. My hope is that he wants to get out of there where he can show his stuff on a team where he won't be overshadowed. Even though RW is a Pro-Bowler as well as Polomalu, he also is underrated.

Hope actually had more tackles this past year than his more celebrated partner in the backfield, and is a real ballhawk. He would immediately move ahead of anyone we have here by a long shot. That would free us up in the draft to bring in more OLs, LBs, & a NT.

I really believe we need more bulk in the middle of the defense, and someone like Jesse Mahelona from Tennessee, 6'-0", 315 lbs. who is super strong, yet demands constant double team due to his quickness & 4.85 speed, or 5'-11", 315 lb. Steve Fifita from Utah. The Utes strongest player with a 480 bench press & 675 lb. squat, he commands double & triple teams every game. His size gives him great leverage against taller OGs & OCs in stuffing the run, and he has 2-3 pass rush moves already.

Anyway, didn't mean to digress, but Hope would certainly open up the draft for the Cowboys.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Hope will return to the Steelers or sign with Carolina.
Most likely return to the Steelers.

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
Hope will return to the Steelers or sign with Carolina.
Most likely return to the Steelers.

Being a friend of a Stealers fan, he tells me Hope is much more of a SS playing FS. Hope can play in the box but doesnt exactly have the speed to play FS and cover the zone like we want. A stopgap guy like Dexter Jackson and drafting a guy like Pat Watkins would seem more logical for our defense, as we could move Roy in the box even more and leave Jackson/Watkins back in coverage.