CFZ We don't need to worry about coaching anymore

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I think it's safe to say that, as Cowboys fans, we don't need to worry about coaching anymore. There have been times after big games where I worry that we came out hot on one game, so it meant that we were in for a letdown in the next game. There have been times, as a result of a coach who clapped a lot, where I have felt that coaching was going to be an issue for us. Now, I think we are in a situation where coaching is not an issue anymore. I think it is a wonderful thing that we finally have a coaching staff who knows what they are doing.

This is important because every team has the best American Football players in the world. Only 1% of the population will ever even make it onto an NFL Roster. The biggest difference is usually the coaching. Sure, there are great players. However, you need a coaching staff that knows how to put the players in the best position to win. They have to understand what their players' skills are and the weaknesses of the opponent. They have to teach their players the nuances that separate one team from another. When we had Jason Garrett here, it was clear that we were deficient in that department. Now, it's a strength. Between Mike McCarthy, Quinn, Schottenheimer, Bones, and all the rest of our coaches, we clearly have a staff, through two games, who understand what they are doing and understand how to put the players in the best position to win.

As a result, I think the time has come to say that I trust our coaches. It doesn't mean we will be undefeated or that mistakes won't be made. But, what it does mean is that we have coaches that know what they are doing and, when mistakes and losses happen, I think we have coaches who know how to adjust and how to get the team to learn from the issues and improve. This is a huge reason why the Cowboys are as good as we are now.

If you doubt me, look at Kellen Moore. Kellen Moore was hyped as the next boy wonder. The next Sean McVay. Woe was us for sacking him. Right? He's 0-2 with the Chargers while Mike McCarthy is 2-0. Our offense hasn't turned the ball over yet. Our players that don't have the ball are following the ball carrier in case something happens. The ball is being distributed quickly and efficiently. The team isn't forcing the ball. The defence is ferocious. All down the line, you can see how different the team is. You can see how vastly different it is from when Garrett was here. You can see how different the offense is between when Moore was calling plays and now with MM calling plays.

All this is to say, thank you to our coaches. I'm glad that I don't have to worry about the coaching the Cowboys have. I hope we are able to keep this coaching staff around for a long time.
MM and the coaching staff have really been impressive. They’ve completely turned the culture around from one of entitlement to one of accountability. The development of the young guys has been excellent. Great start to the year!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I get that, but I think we are at a spot where I'm finding myself giving the coaches the benefit of the doubt. The plays are well designed. The players are open or are in positions to where the plays need to be made. At this point, I think it's down to the players to execute.
It’s obvious you’re extremely excited about the start of the season and I am too, but I’ve learned to be cautious. We’ve seen the Cowboys get off to terrific starts before and look like they have a great team only to disappoint us in the end. We may look back in December and wish we had the team we have now. The Cowboys always seem to peak too early. If they’re going to advance in the playoffs, they’re going to have to be playing their best football in January. We don’t know what the health of the team will be by the time we get to December and January. A lot of things could happen between now and then. I’ve witnessed all five of the Cowboys championship teams, and the one thing those teams did was improve as the season went on. They kept getting better and better and better and by January they were playing their absolute best football. I’m not convinced this team can do that until I see it.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
MM and the coaching staff have really been impressive. They’ve completely turned the culture around from one of entitlement to one of accountability. The development of the young guys has been excellent. Great start to the year!

Exactly, and it's amazing the difference in teams. A few years ago, this team was indefencively bad. Now, it's a ferocious team that can beat teams in any way that is needed. We are almost a Swiss army team with the many different ways the Cowboys can take control of a game. Very rarely anymore (going back to last season) do I enter a game feeling like we have no chance or that a situation is going to result in a painful outcome for us. I now am able to feel that, as long as the players execute, we will be fine.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
IMG-0398.gif
So you’re already booking your Super Bowl ticket? I’m just keeping it real. If you want to uncork the champagne after week two and celebrate, feel free. :thumbup:

snadler

Reaction score
I think it's safe to say that, as Cowboys fans, we don't need to worry about coaching anymore. There have been times after big games where I worry that we came out hot on one game, so it meant that we were in for a letdown in the next game. There have been times, as a result of a coach who clapped a lot, where I have felt that coaching was going to be an issue for us. Now, I think we are in a situation where coaching is not an issue anymore. I think it is a wonderful thing that we finally have a coaching staff who knows what they are doing.

This is important because every team has the best American Football players in the world. Only 1% of the population will ever even make it onto an NFL Roster. The biggest difference is usually the coaching. Sure, there are great players. However, you need a coaching staff that knows how to put the players in the best position to win. They have to understand what their players' skills are and the weaknesses of the opponent. They have to teach their players the nuances that separate one team from another. When we had Jason Garrett here, it was clear that we were deficient in that department. Now, it's a strength. Between Mike McCarthy, Quinn, Schottenheimer, Bones, and all the rest of our coaches, we clearly have a staff, through two games, who understand what they are doing and understand how to put the players in the best position to win.

As a result, I think the time has come to say that I trust our coaches. It doesn't mean we will be undefeated or that mistakes won't be made. But, what it does mean is that we have coaches that know what they are doing and, when mistakes and losses happen, I think we have coaches who know how to adjust and how to get the team to learn from the issues and improve. This is a huge reason why the Cowboys are as good as we are now.

If you doubt me, look at Kellen Moore. Kellen Moore was hyped as the next boy wonder. The next Sean McVay. Woe was us for sacking him. Right? He's 0-2 with the Chargers while Mike McCarthy is 2-0. Our offense hasn't turned the ball over yet. Our players that don't have the ball are following the ball carrier in case something happens. The ball is being distributed quickly and efficiently. The team isn't forcing the ball. The defence is ferocious. All down the line, you can see how different the team is. You can see how vastly different it is from when Garrett was here. You can see how different the offense is between when Moore was calling plays and now with MM calling plays.

All this is to say, thank you to our coaches. I'm glad that I don't have to worry about the coaching the Cowboys have. I hope we are able to keep this coaching staff around for a long time.
People just never learn, listen, cowboys are good, can we see them win playoff games, how about the NFC championship, before we make crazy hyperbolic posts like this

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I will also say this. The team isn't even at full strength yet. Donovan Wilson and Tyler Smith have yet to debut this season. We were without Cooks today. I think we were down a few other players too. Yet, our team is 70-10 combined over the last two games. That's impressive. We beat one of the better defences 30-10 down one of our better receivers, one of our better lineman, and one of our best safeties. If we can get healthier and get them back, we will be even deadlier with our coaching staff.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
People just never learn, listen, cowboys are good, can we see them win playoff games, how about the NFC championship, before we make crazy hyperbolic posts like this
To me, that's up to the players at this point. I think the coaches are good enough to where, as we've seen today and last week, the plays are there to be made. The players need to execute.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I will also say this. The team isn't even at full strength yet. Donovan Wilson and Tyler Smith have yet to debut this season. We were without Cooks today. I think we were down a few other players too. Yet, our team is 70-10 combined over the last two games. That's impressive. We beat one of the better defences 30-10 down one of our better receivers, one of our better lineman, and one of our best safeties. If we can get healthier and get them back, we will be even deadlier with our coaching staff.
Yeah no one is saying Super Bowl, except some in the media, but it’s exciting the way the team has started out. Lots of reasons for optimism.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Yeah no one is saying Super Bowl, except some in the media, but it’s exciting the way the team has started out. Lots of reasons for optimism.

Exactly, I'm not saying we're going to go that far. I'm just saying that our coaches have been tremendous to the point where I can trust them. I wasn't able to do that with Garrett. It used to be "now, where's the spot where the coaches are going to do us in? *Bad play happens* there it is!" That's not the case anymore. Now it's just down to the players to execute and do what they need to do. The coaches have them in the right places. That's all you can really ask of the coaches.