CFZ We have completed 36% of the season. Patterns are developing

foofighters

Reaction score
We are reminded every week that the NFL is extremely unpredictable. Most fans look at the schedule when it is released and immediately declare the wins and losses the Cowboys will have for the upcoming season. As if nothing has changed in the off-season. Every week the NFL reminds us that this is a very fluid and unpredictable league.

After last night’s gritty win vs the chargers, the Cowboys have completed approximately 36% of the season. Think about that. 64% of the season lies in front of us. And although we are still trying to figure out what this team is and can be, we can see some patterns developing. The key word is developing because every team develops as the season progresses.

Here are some patterns I see with Cowboys (and other rivals) so far- good and not so good.
  • The Cowboys best side of the ball is their defense. And it is not a great defense…yet. Still developing some young players.
  • The offense is struggling to find its rhythm. But remember, this is a NEW offense and it appears to me the players are still trying to figure it out. But it’s time to step up.
  • The Cowboys running game so far has been anemic. Is it the OL? The RBs? Both?
  • The Cowboys have found a reliably outstanding kicker in Brandon Aubrey.
  • The Cowboys have a penalty problem. (No the refs are not “out to get us”) The lack of discipline is a real problem.
  • Opposing offenses have found ways to negate Micah Parsons at times. Can Dan Quinn find ways to respond?
  • The eagles are 5-1 but they have problems too. Jalen Hurts has thrown 7 interceptions (3 more than Dak) and they have some mounting injuries.
  • The Cowboys are still trying to figure themselves out. This is a different team than last year.
We have completed 36% of the season. This team (and all NFL teams) are evolving and developing. Don’t look at the rest of the schedule and pick wins and losses. None of us know what is going to happen. And that makes it very entertaining!

There are lots of other patterns. What are some you see?
Mike needs to take a good hard look at the offense. In order for us to be a defense first team, we have to be somewhat successful at controlling ToP. That means running the ball. As you stated, what's the problem? our line, RB's or both? At some point, we are going to have live and die by Dak if we cannot figure that out.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have tempered my view on how good we are over the last 6 games but I equally have seen nothing from the Eagles to make me fear them in the slightest. Regardless of our long term prospects, the division is there for the taking.
I’ve watched the e-girls play two games. They are still a good team but not as good (so far) as they were last year.

Hurts has 7 int’s so far - 3 more than Dak and 1 more than Wash QB Sam Howell. He’s certainly a good QB but in my view, Hurts and Dak are very similar QBs. Good but not great. Hurts is younger and more athletic but as often as he runs, he is risking injury every game. And I believe Hurts is in a system tailored much more to his skills than Dak.

As you said, the NFCE is very much there for the taking. Eleven games left and a lot of surprises ahead. The Cowboys are still in the thick of it all but they have a long way to go before I call them anything more than a potential good team. All NFL teams are still developing.

Birch_Wood

Reaction score
Good list. I'm wondering about the pattern of Daks legs. Will he keep moving around and escaping or go back to the pocket passer. They were not ready for that extra option when he runs.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Tyler Biadazz is a beast this year. Dude might be the best lineman we have currently. He has been nails.
I don't know what you're watching, but I don't see it. He's getting pushed back consistently and and doing nothing in the run game.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
We are reminded every week that the NFL is extremely unpredictable. Most fans look at the schedule when it is released and immediately declare the wins and losses the Cowboys will have for the upcoming season. As if nothing has changed in the off-season. Every week the NFL reminds us that this is a very fluid and unpredictable league.

After last night’s gritty win vs the chargers, the Cowboys have completed approximately 36% of the season. Think about that. 64% of the season lies in front of us. And although we are still trying to figure out what this team is and can be, we can see some patterns developing. The key word is developing because every team develops as the season progresses.

Here are some patterns I see with Cowboys (and other rivals) so far- good and not so good.
  • The Cowboys best side of the ball is their defense. And it is not a great defense…yet. Still developing some young players.
  • The offense is struggling to find its rhythm. But remember, this is a NEW offense and it appears to me the players are still trying to figure it out. But it’s time to step up.
  • The Cowboys have a penalty problem. (No the refs are not “out to get us”) The lack of discipline is a real problem.
  • Opposing offenses have found ways to negate Micah Parsons at times. Can Dan Quinn find ways to respond?
  • The eagles are 5-1 but they have problems too. Jalen Hurts has thrown 7 interceptions (3 more than Dak) and they have some mounting injuries.
  • The Cowboys are still trying to figure themselves out. This is a different team than last year.
We have completed 36% of the season. This team (and all NFL teams) are evolving and developing. Don’t look at the rest of the schedule and pick wins and losses. None of us know what is going to happen. And that makes it very entertaining!

I wish we would stop rushing micah from the same place, just have him in motion and come from wherever, that way you can't tell where he's coming to dictate the doubles that he faces!!!

Verdict

Reaction score

1. The defense is lining up offsides a lot. There have been several penalties related to that and several times where it looked like a Cowboy player was lined up in the neutral zone. That’s just lack of focus.

2. DQ went from appearing almost invincible as a defensive coordinator to mortal just like every other DC.

3. Tyron is so done and has been for three years. It’s time to relegate Tyron to backup duty. Zack Martin is no longer the best guard in the league either. OL in general looks pretty iffy.

4. Running game looks poor. It’s hard to say why but it looks like several things are out of whack here. Pollard is part of that but not all of it.

5. The entire team seems to be acting like it is pressing too hard and as a result the final product is worse, not better.

6. On defense we could use better corner play (from Lewis and Gilmore) and some help at linebacker. I didn’t think that Diggs would make THIS much difference on defense all by himself.

7. You see an occasional play from Tank, but you don’t see his name called as often as you would expect for a guy with his cap hit.

8. M. Smith is a year away right now. Hankins is way overplaying his contract numbers.

9. I still think the defense can be elite. They just need to stop pressing and be assignment sound.

10. I’m remaining open minded on MM the play caller. At times he looks pretty bad, but this team could make any play caller look bad.

11. What happened to the MM run routes that we ran earlier this year? It’s like hey it worked, let’s never run them again.

12. If we are going to win with Dak at QB consistently, Daknis going to have to run the ball, intentionally about 5-6 times per game to keep defenses honest. QB runs demoralize a defense.

13. If Dak runs the ball more, maybe it opens up the running game via the backs.

14. Glad to see they are finally incorporating Cooks into the game plan.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good list. I'm wondering about the pattern of Daks legs. Will he keep moving around and escaping or go back to the pocket passer. They were not ready for that extra option when he runs.
Dak’s TD run on 4th down last night will probably make defenses respect his ability to run and in turn open up some other options for the offense.

blueblood70

Reaction score

and yet being four and two with four road games b2b cali trips and already in the first 1/4 of this season gone.. the bye week has come at a perfect time , now they can reflect and get some adjustments and get some things changed....

back and i know this is a long shot but they can also make a trade, change some roster spots etc etc..perfect time to do all that is 4-2 at the BYe with nice win going into it.. they have this same information and now can take a breath and see how to change it...

Verdict

Reaction score
The offensive line IS the issue with the entire offense. PERIOD. PRINT IT....hear this, it isn't Mike McCarthy's play calling. He realizes the shoddy play, thus flags, mistakes with the line, so he is calling the game according to that, trying to minimize the errors, until we get it corrected. I think he was masterful last night getting sure points. Now, if we can clean that stuff up, guess what, we will be able to open up the playbook more and our running game will be better. Right now this line is banged up and still regaining their sea legs and chemistry. This bye came at a great time and we managed to get a win in the process. Gritty wins matter and it teaches the young guys that u don't always need to win pretty and score 1000 points. MM did the right thing. BTW, if MG catches a perfect pass from Dak, we win by more.If JT don't make a dumb play along with the refs blowing a flag, we might win by 2 scores. This was a sloppy game and we can clean up some things. But the play calling wasn't the issue, execution at times, was.
MM went for it on the Dak touchdown run. That was +4 points for MM there. But we also went for it on 4th down when we were knocking on the door and turned it over on downs so that’s -3 right there. +1 realized points over expected points on those two drives. Garret would have taken the two field goals.

I like MM’s aggression but there are times you just take the points and put pressure on the other team. Based on game flow the Cowboys should have taken the +3 points instead of turning the ball over on downs. Not due to the result (which we didn’t know at the time the 4th down play would fail) but three points is critical there.

Rayman70

Reaction score
MM went for it on the Dak touchdown run. That was +4 points for MM there. But we also went for it on 4th down when we were knocking on the door and turned it over on downs so that’s -3 right there. +1 realized points over expected points on those two drives. Garret would have taken the two field goals.

I like MM’s aggression but there are times you just take the points and put pressure on the other team. Based on game flow the Cowboys should have taken the +3 points instead of turning the ball over on downs. Not due to the result (which we didn’t know at the time the 4th down play would fail) but three points is critical there.
well...true, but coaching isnt a perfect science all the time. We are dealing with humans. That said, I thought he called a nice game given how sloppy the game was. He picked his spots when to be aggressive. He clearly had a plan. It worked.

Rayman70

Reaction score
No idea where this is coming from. He's played very well.
he played decent and the great thing, he didnt get hurt. That's a win. I wouldn't say very well. But I loved seeing him on the screens have decent mobility and running . We haven't seen him able to do that for years really. Best thing about getting the win was we didn't have any injuries happen. If we can clean up some things, get more healthy during the bye, watch out.

Einstein

Reaction score

And to go with this we have new positional coaches at OL, OC, and RB (at least)

fansince68

Reaction score
We would be practically unstoppable if we could have an effective run, run, pass approach. A defense that is not gassed by the 3rd qtr. Speaking of which, would it be wise to slow down the defense in the 1st half to conserve energy for the crucial 2nd half? Micha looks gassed a lot. What's our pressure levels like when he's not in the game? Did we even play a TE in this game? Dude was a ghost. Pretty odd for a TE to dissappear in a west coast offense of drinks and dunks.

Mark

Reaction score
I wish we would stop rushing micah from the same place, just have him in motion and come from wherever, that way you can't tell where he's coming to dictate the doubles that he faces!!!
When Micah is double- or triple-teamed, I wonder what the unguarded defenders are doing.

Proof

Reaction score
I was absolutely shocked to see that we're ranked in the top 10 for rushing (totals and ypg) that's surprising. the ypc plummets quite a bit, which is not surprising. Big Mac wasn't kidding when he said he wants to run the ball more. Hopefully it pays some dividends at some point, or the patterns allow some trickery later in the season. Weird dynamic currently

JustChip

Reaction score
The offensive line IS the issue with the entire offense. PERIOD. PRINT IT....hear this, it isn't Mike McCarthy's play calling. He realizes the shoddy play, thus flags, mistakes with the line, so he is calling the game according to that, trying to minimize the errors, until we get it corrected. I think he was masterful last night getting sure points. Now, if we can clean that stuff up, guess what, we will be able to open up the playbook more and our running game will be better. Right now this line is banged up and still regaining their sea legs and chemistry. This bye came at a great time and we managed to get a win in the process. Gritty wins matter and it teaches the young guys that u don't always need to win pretty and score 1000 points. MM did the right thing. BTW, if MG catches a perfect pass from Dak, we win by more.If JT don't make a dumb play along with the refs blowing a flag, we might win by 2 scores. This was a sloppy game and we can clean up some things. But the play calling wasn't the issue, execution at times, was.
Or if Bland doesn’t blow a gift wrapped pick 6.