We lost a divisional road game

Reaction score
I simply don't understand why people are making it out to be more than it is. The Commanders almost always play us close, no matter how much better we end up being than them in any given year. We barely squeaked out a 7-6 win against them last year, and it would've been a loss if Suisham didn't miss a chip shot for them, and yet we still made the playoffs.

Remember when you looked at the schedule earlier this offseason and came up with the 4 to 6 games you thought we'd lose? Road games in GB, MN, Indy, Houston, Philly, whatever. Well, chances are we're going to play a hell of a game and win a couple of those games that you expected to lose.

Did we lose one we should have won? Yes. Will we win some we probably deserve to lose, because the other team shoots themselves in the foot after outplaying us? Probably so.

Just chill out. The way our defense played alone should make everybody excited. If our offense can simply not have Alex Barron on the field, we have a good shot to win any game. And don't give me the 'no turnovers forced' argument either, because we just played against the QB with the lowest interception percentage in NFL history. Mcnabb just doesn't throw many picks, period. We'll get the turnovers. :star: :star: :star:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Joshmvii;3556783 said:
I simply don't understand why people are making it out to be more than it is. The Commanders almost always play us close, no matter how much better we end up being than them in any given year. We barely squeaked out a 7-6 win against them last year, and it would've been a loss if Suisham didn't miss a chip shot for them, and yet we still made the playoffs.

Remember when you looked at the schedule earlier this offseason and came up with the 4 to 6 games you thought we'd lose? Road games in GB, MN, Indy, Houston, Philly, whatever. Well, chances are we're going to play a hell of a game and win a couple of those games that you expected to lose.

Did we lose one we should have won? Yes. Will we win some we probably deserve to lose, because the other team shoots themselves in the foot after outplaying us? Probably so.

Just chill out. The way our defense played alone should make everybody excited. If our offense can simply not have Alex Barron on the field, we have a good shot to win any game. And don't give me the 'no turnovers forced' argument either, because we just played against the QB with the lowest interception percentage in NFL history. Mcnabb just doesn't throw many picks, period. We'll get the turnovers. :star: :star: :star:

I agree. I do think players, coaches and fans should be upset about how this team played, anytime you don't play up to your potential is reason to be upset but what becomes a joke is many of the overreaction statements of getting rid of players or coaches after week 1 of the season, it is hard to take these people serious

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Again, it's not that we lost, it's how we lost

If we had lost because Washington was just better, ok

If we had lost because Romo was hurt, ok

I we had lost because of a fluke, ok

The issue is that we lost this game the EXACT same way we've lost the other 18 in Wade and Garrett's time here. A very talented team that looks unprepared and plays undisciplined, uninspired and is derailed by piss poor playcalling.

Trendnet

Reaction score
Joshmvii;3556783 said:

Even if the Cowboys did manage to win this game, the same petulant whiney fans who are cyring to high heaven about the loss, they would still be crying.

The Cowboys aren't going to win every game they play.

They aren't.

The so called "non-homer - realistic" fans don't realize this.

16 - 0, 28 point wins every game is to be expected. That's the only realistic view. Any non-homer would realize this.

The simple realistic view is that the Cowboys are 0-1. They need to play better to reach the playoffs and beyond. Will they? I certainly hope so. That's whats entertaining about the NFL... Cowboys still have a chance, despite what some "Non-Homer" fans would have you believe.

No, the fans can't change how they play.
No, the coaches aren't and don't need to be fired after one loss.

But if everyone knew this... this message board wouldn't be as fun.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
If it's making you feel better go ahead justify it anyway you like.to lose to a good team after playing hard is one thing to shoot yourself in the foot by being too lousy against a crappy team is not an excuse.what did we have the training camp for?

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
The30YardSlant;3556849 said:

Again .... thats not how either teams loses to the other ...... most of the the time our matchups the underdog wins at least once, sometimes twice a year.

Its a Rivalry game ..... throw everything else out the Window.

Campo's team killed the skins .... and they had a much better team than we did ....

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score

The issue is that we lost this game the EXACT same way we've lost the other 18 in Wade and Garrett's time here. A very talented team that looks unprepared and plays undisciplined, uninspired and is derailed by piss poor playcalling.

This.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score

So if Washington had steamrolled us, beat us up physically all over the field, you'd be okay with it?

Bull.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
zrinkill;3556863 said:
Again .... thats not how either teams loses to the other ...... most of the the time our matchups the underdog wins at least once, sometimes twice a year.

Campo's team killed the skins .... and they had a much better team than we did ....

Exactly. I have been watching the Cowboys since 1965 and it is not a shock that the Cowboys or any team during a season will lose a game they are expected to win and win a game they are expected to lose. This is nothing new nor is it something only Wade Phillips has experienced. Hell in 1992 we got beat by a lousy Rams team whom we were much better than.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
People over react to wins and losses. Every team plays flat now and then, but no one will care that other teams do. They care that ours does.

The 12 penalties killed us. The defense carried us. The Offense moved the ball but didn't convert it into TDs.

People will over react to that every time.

craig71

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Reaction score
Doomsday101;3556881 said:
Exactly. I have been watching the Cowboys since 1965 and it is not a shock that the Cowboys or any team during a season will lose a game they are expected to win and win a game they are expected to lose. This is nothing new nor is it something only Wade Phillips has experienced. Hell in 1992 we got beat by a lousy Rams team whom we were much better than.

Kinda of funny how that works. For whatever reason Dallas has always tended to lay an egg against a weaker opponent. It's one of the few constants of this franchise, players and coaches have come and gone but the egg laying is still here.

Craig

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
zrinkill;3556863 said:

Washington was by no means good during Campo's tenure, though. They never made the playoffs and were a consistent 7-8 win team.

This Dallas team is one of, if not the most talented team in football. We have no business losing to 4-12 teams, especially those with a brand new staff and a QB with a bum ankle.

What's even more disturbing is that Washington didnt beat us, we beat ourselves. Normally, you could say that can be corrected, but it's clear that, now in Wade's fourth year, that it will not be in our case. Wade hasnt corrected it after three years, why should anyone expect that to change?

For instance, in '95 we lost to Washington twice and still won the SB. We beat ourselves in those games, but that team was capable of not consistently doing that over the course of a season.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Hostile;3556890 said:
People over react to wins and losses. Every team plays flat now and then, but no one will care that other teams do. They care that ours does.

The 12 penalties killed us. The defense carried us. The Offense moved the ball but didn't convert it into TDs.

I dunno. I think because it's game one and you expect a team like the boys to come out on fire. I actually don't mind a mid season stinger, some times it's a wake up call when a team needs one.

An opening day loss as ugly as this one? Kinda puts a little doubt in your team.
Folks have to simply remember there is no where to go but up from here.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3556871 said:
So if Washington had steamrolled us, beat us up physically all over the field, you'd be okay with it?

Bull.

No, because you, I and everyone else on God's green earth knows we are the better football team. We are more talented at nearly every position and have essentially the same team that finished so much better than Washington each of the last four years.

We lost to a BAD team on Sunday night, and did so due to our own lack of discipline

tyke1doe

Reaction score

:clap: :bow: :clap: :bow: :clap:

Someone who gets it.

I can take losing a hard-fought game.

But giving away a game because of bone-head mistakes and play-calling, especially when we should be learning from our mistakes in those areas, is the reason why so many Cowboys fans are upset, the morning(s) after.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
The30YardSlant;3556908 said:
For instance, in '95 we lost to Washington twice and still won the SB. We beat ourselves in those games, but that team was capable of not consistently doing that over the course of a season.

Thats what some of us are trying to say.

Rivalry games ..... anything can and frequently will happen .....

This just happened to be on our opening day.

I bet we rick roll them in the rematch ..... I am talking a big time butt whoopin ...

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
The Cowboys lost to a below average team. They have several games against far better teams coming up. It puts them in the position of having to do something like go 11-4, just to match last year's record and probably win the division. That's a daunting task when you consider how difficult the schedule is. Every loss shrinks the window for home field, and probably the division to.

Losing a mistake-filled game to a below average opponent is what talented, but underachieving 9-7 teams do.

Paint it any way you wish, but losing that game was huge.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;3556890 said:

Yes the penalties kill us, the penalties ALWAYS kill us in loses. Just like the offensive playcalling and obvious lack of emotion ALWAYS kill us under Wade and Garrett.

Not one person in the country was shocked that we committed 12 penalties or that we played uninspired football, and THAT is the problem

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
zrinkill;3556918 said:
Thats what some of us are trying to say.

Rivalry games ..... anything can and frequently will happen .....

This just happened to be on our opening day.

I bet we rick roll them in the rematch ..... I am talking a big time butt whoopin ...

We probably will

We'll also probably win 10 games or so, make the playoffs, then get steamrolled in the wild card or divisional round because of...penalties, playcalling and a lack of fire and drive in our players. It's like clockwork at this point.

Thus is the crux of having a talented team and a poor coaching staff. Always good, never great.