We may not draft a DE at all

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
If they sign Tank we have a crowded DE rotation as it is.
Gregory - I can't imagine he is suspended forever
Quinn - about as solid a no 3 as you could find if not a starter.
Crawford - Can play him at DT but I would still consider him as depth at DE if not part of the rotation.
Taco - I doubt they have given up on him and he could make a leap forward this year.
Armstrong - showed some flashes as a rookie and will get playing time.
Heyder - They might be trying to use him at 3-tech but will probably see time at DE as well.
Covington - could be used at DT spots but again can play some DE.

A lot of these guys only have a year left on current contracts but I would think they brought them in to find out if they are part of the long term plans and they certainly don't want to cut them right away.

So if you draft one are you going to try to put him on the practice squad? Maybe a late round developmental type.

I think it is more likely that we will draft a DT and there are some good ones that can be had this year in the 3rd, 4th and maybe even 5th rounds.

I think we will finally use a premium pick (2nd rd) on a safety.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Crawford - Can play him at DT but I would still consider him as depth at DE if not part of the rotation.
Taco - I doubt they have given up on him and he could make a leap forward this year.
Heyder - They might be trying to use him at 3-tech but will probably see time at DE as well.

A lot of these guys only have a year left on current contracts but I would think they brought them in to find out if they are part of the long term plans and they certainly don't want to cut them right away.

So if you draft one are you going to try to put him on the practice squad? Maybe a late round developmental type.

I think it is more likely that we will draft a DT and there are some good ones that can be had this year in the 3rd, 4th and maybe even 5th rounds.

Crawford totally blows at end - he plays patty cake with the OT on passing downs. He’s a DT and nothing more.

Hyder - don’t know much about him or how he was used in Detroit. Kinda short for a DE.

I have a feeling we’re going to try to sign Ansah to a 1yr prove it deal. Real key to our draft plans is the Lawrence Limbo.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
Crawford totally blows at end - he plays patty cake with the OT on passing downs. He’s a DT and nothing more.

Hyder - don’t know much about him or how he was used in Detroit. Kinda short for a DE.

I have a feeling we’re going to try to sign Ansah to a 1yr prove it deal. Real key to our draft plans is the Lawrence Limbo.

I would be shocked if we signed Ansah.

Mr_437

Reaction score
DLaw
Quinn (1/yr)
Armstrong
Charlton
Hyder (1/yr) (300k guaranteed)

Gregory

I can see where DAL could choose to not draft a DE at all, but I prefer them taking a guy in the 4th round. Hyder is the cuttable veteran they always get (see Iloka also) at a position they plan to target in the draft.

I think DE is a real need still, but it's been pushed back to a mid-round need...I really like Maxx Crosby in that area, but some of these DEs are gonna fall cause poor combine/pro days.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
DLaw
Quinn (1/yr)
Armstrong
Charlton

Gregory

I can see where DAL could choose to not draft a DE at all, but I prefer them taking a guy in the 4th round. Hyder is the cuttable veteran they always get (see Iloka also) at a position they plan to target in the draft.

I think DE is a real need still, but it's been pushed back to a mid-round need...I really like Maxx Crosby in that area, but some of these DEs are gonna fall cause poor combine/pro days.

I don't think they view Hyder as cutable at all. I think they view him as a high upside guy with demonstrated ability that was stuck in the wrong system. I think they definitely want to get a look at him this year. Now if they determine later on that his achiles hasn't healed or wont heal then that could be another story.

conner01

Reaction score

Even if we lost tank there is a possibility they don’t draft one if there is not one worth drafting there, especially at 58

Mr_437

Reaction score
I don't think they view Hyder as cutable at all. I think they view him as a high upside guy with demonstrated ability that was stuck in the wrong system. I think they definitely want to get a look at him this year. Now if they determine later on that his achiles hasn't healed or wont heal then that could be another story.
I hear ya, yet if the draft a DE at 58 who's not making the team? Just saying 300K isn't a commitment in the NFL.

Rayman70

Reaction score
dunno bout AT ALL...but at 58,unless a guy like Simmons is on the board, we are going safety. Savage or Adderly are the head of the safety class. Then Rapp.

cnuball21

Reaction score
DLaw
Quinn (1/yr)
Armstrong
Charlton

Gregory

I like the idea of adding a mid round option.

The Quinn signing was so huge to me. Gives us a year to evaluate Tacos make or break season, the development of Armstrong and potentially a mid round rookie.

If none of those options progress well likely be in trouble heading into the next draft.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Marinelli loves Crawford but I'm certain that S.Jones is not happy about his 7M salary.

DE is one of the most expensive positions. That will factor into their thought process on the draft.

I think they will focus on Safety, DT, DE and TE.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
Marinelli loves Crawford but I'm certain that S.Jones is not happy about his 7M salary.

DE is one of the most expensive positions. That will factor into their thought process on the draft.

I think they will focus on Safety, DT, DE and TE.

If they do draft a DE then we are in a position where we will have to cut someone. It is an enviable position to be in and as suggested by someone else Hyder is an option to cut buy I think they want to get a look at him.

If we re-sign Tank I believe we will be looking at other positions with the possible exception of a late round addition to move to the practice squad but I could be wrong.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If they do draft a DE then we are in a position where we will have to cut someone. It is an enviable position to be in and as suggested by someone else Hyder is an option to cut buy I think they want to get a look at him.

If we re-sign Tank I believe we will be looking at other positions with the possible exception of a late round addition to move to the practice squad but I could be wrong.

They'll keep 9 or 10 DL.

DE
Taco
Armstrong
Quinn
DLaw (if he plays for the Cowboys)

DE/DT
Hyder
Crawford

DT
Covington
Collins
Woods

Not very good
Ross (DT)

Gregory (suspended)

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
They'll keep 9 or 10 DL.

DE
Taco
Armstrong
Quinn
DLaw (if he plays for the Cowboys)

DE/DT
Hyder
Crawford

DT
Covington
Collins
Woods

Not very good
Ross (DT)

Gregory (suspended)

I suspect Ross might be in trouble but I think we are more likely to draft a DT.