CFZ We need a new QB

windjc

Reaction score
I've been a fan since 1978. I consider myself one of the more reasonable middle of the road fans on this board. I've never been fanatical, let's put it that way.

But I've reached the conclusion that we need a new QB. Dak is over 30 and he is too inconsistent and mistake prone to give us more than a small chance (If forced to I'd say <15%) to win a championship. Eli won two, so it's possible, but Eli basically hit the QB lottery on timing.

I do not think there is an easy solution to our QB situation. I think our front office would have to think outside the box - but honestly most great teams in this league do exactly that - find unlikely solutions. I am sure you can easily find multiple reason to knock any potential solution as very unlikely, but for us to compete we need to upgrade.

Maybe we find a desperate team willing to trade for Dak. Maybe we draft a QB in the draft and strike gold. Maybe there is a QB somewhere else in the league that just needs the right home. Whatever the solution is, this team needs to be looking where they can upgrade this position.

Otherwise, our upcoming seasons will be wasted imho.

Flamma

Reaction score
The way I see it, we have two years to figure out the QB situation. That finishes off Dak's current contract. But who knows what Jerry will do.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
The way I see it, we have two years to figure out the QB situation. That finishes off Dak's current contract. But who knows what Jerry will do.

Dak will either get cut this year or get restructured and stays for at least 5 more years. And i dont think they will cut him.

Flamma

Reaction score
Dak will either get cut this year or get restructured and stays for at least 5 more years. And i dont think they will cut him.
Cutting him isn't an option with an 89M dead cap. Your two options typically come with one year left on the contract.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Cutting him isn't an option with an 89M dead cap. Your two options typically come with one year left on the contract.
Even worse.

But seriously when you look at his contract it is structured to restructure him in 2022 first and then have the option to do it again in 2023 and 24. And that was the plan from the beginning.

Last edited:

fansince68

Reaction score
I've been a fan since 1978. I consider myself one of the more reasonable middle of the road fans on this board. I've never been fanatical, let's put it that way.

But I've reached the conclusion that we need a new QB. Dak is over 30 and he is too inconsistent and mistake prone to give us more than a small chance (If forced to I'd say <15%) to win a championship. Eli won two, so it's possible, but Eli basically hit the QB lottery on timing.

I do not think there is an easy solution to our QB situation. I think our front office would have to think outside the box - but honestly most great teams in this league do exactly that - find unlikely solutions. I am sure you can easily find multiple reason to knock any potential solution as very unlikely, but for us to compete we need to upgrade.

Maybe we find a desperate team willing to trade for Dak. Maybe we draft a QB in the draft and strike gold. Maybe there is a QB somewhere else in the league that just needs the right home. Whatever the solution is, this team needs to be looking where they can upgrade this position.

This has been Daks MO since the 2020 season. Flashes of consistency. What we didn't notice in the past is , Dak piled on the yardage AFTER fumbles and int causing the team to play catch up. It always seemed to be drama no matter who we played. Another factor that helped to inflate Daks numbers, predictably running up the middle on 1st down for little gain.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Why do people say this? They cannot cut him. But they can prepare for life without him, which is why I suggest Jaren Hall.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Why do people say this? They cannot cut him. But they can prepare for life without him, which is why I suggest Jaren Hall.
I wrote it this way because i thought it is obvious for everybody that we can't cut him. Well it seems not.
Just to point out that the most probable option will be to restructure him this year.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
received-1170147707196472.gif

diamonddelts

Reaction score

No trade clause in his contract

Ken

Reaction score

Sure...just go down to Texaco and get another./Parcellsism

Flamma

Reaction score
Even worse.

But seriously when you look at his contract it is structured to restructure him in 2022 first and then have the option to do it again in 2023 and 24. And that was the plan from the beginning.
Yes. People talked about that back when he first got the contract. But it isn't written in stone. Some people are now talking about how to get out of that contract.

What action (or inaction) they choose to take with Dak's contract before the 2023 season will tell us all we need to know. Or at the very least, their mindset going forward.