CFZ We need a new QB

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I've been a fan since 1978. I consider myself one of the more reasonable middle of the road fans on this board. I've never been fanatical, let's put it that way.

But I've reached the conclusion that we need a new QB. Dak is over 30 and he is too inconsistent and mistake prone to give us more than a small chance (If forced to I'd say <15%) to win a championship. Eli won two, so it's possible, but Eli basically hit the QB lottery on timing.

I do not think there is an easy solution to our QB situation. I think our front office would have to think outside the box - but honestly most great teams in this league do exactly that - find unlikely solutions. I am sure you can easily find multiple reason to knock any potential solution as very unlikely, but for us to compete we need to upgrade.

Maybe we find a desperate team willing to trade for Dak. Maybe we draft a QB in the draft and strike gold. Maybe there is a QB somewhere else in the league that just needs the right home. Whatever the solution is, this team needs to be looking where they can upgrade this position.

Otherwise, our upcoming seasons will be wasted imho.
No doubt, but the current one has an albatross of a contract.
No guarantee we find a better one either.
In other words , we are screwed.

Flamma

Reaction score
we can't just cut him. and I doubt we could trade him, but we can definetly draft a QB and sign a decent vet for the time being.
What would be the point? What decent vet? Those guys have gone to the land of suck and they're not coming back. Drafting a QB is a good idea, but they only have to wait 2 more years if they want to move on from Dak.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I've been a fan since 1978. I consider myself one of the more reasonable middle of the road fans on this board. I've never been fanatical, let's put it that way.

But I've reached the conclusion that we need a new QB. Dak is over 30 and he is too inconsistent and mistake prone to give us more than a small chance (If forced to I'd say <15%) to win a championship. Eli won two, so it's possible, but Eli basically hit the QB lottery on timing.

I do not think there is an easy solution to our QB situation. I think our front office would have to think outside the box - but honestly most great teams in this league do exactly that - find unlikely solutions. I am sure you can easily find multiple reason to knock any potential solution as very unlikely, but for us to compete we need to upgrade.

Maybe we find a desperate team willing to trade for Dak. Maybe we draft a QB in the draft and strike gold. Maybe there is a QB somewhere else in the league that just needs the right home. Whatever the solution is, this team needs to be looking where they can upgrade this position.

Otherwise, our upcoming seasons will be wasted imho.
Dak doesn’t turn 30 until July. You claim you’re one of the more reasonable fans, but you want to move on from the QB who helped lead us to back to back 12 win seasons and our first road playoff win in 30 years. He’s the only Cowboys QB to have a win over Tom Brady. Granted Dak has regressed, but he’s still a good QB who’s capable of having some excellent games like we saw against Tampa in the playoffs. He gives us a chance every season and is the best option we have right now until we find a better QB. It’s not going to be easy to find a better QB than him. There were many who wanted to move on from Romo after he melted down against Washington in a season finale elimination game back in 2012. I said the same thing then I’m saying now we can’t move on from our QB until we have a better option or we could spend years and draft picks going through QB hell trying to find one.

I don’t want to see the Cowboys end up like Washington and some of these other teams that can’t find a QB. I would rather have a QB that gives us a chance to make the playoffs every season than having mediocre regular seasons with multiple QBs or a real scrub that lead to sitting home for the playoffs year after year. Nothing wrong with using a pick on a QB in this year‘s draft at some point to try and add some competition to the position but we can’t move on from Dak, until we find a solid replacement. Some fans act like we’re in a horrible situation at QB and we’re not. There’s teams around the league going through pure hell trying to find a QB and if it was up to some of the fans on this board, the Cowboys would be going through the same.

Last edited:

TX_Yid

Reaction score
Trade him somewhere he might agree to go. Like Green Bay.

They get a decent QB for the next few years while they rebuild. We get a future hall of famer who with this defense maybe bags himself another superbowl.

Yeah I hate the discount double dirtbag, but I’d deal with it for a win now shot at the title.

XXLMike

Reaction score
Bill Parcells says that Dak is not the problem; The O coordinator is … why not listen to him and at least let’s take a shot with another guy to fix our $50 million quarterback.

The Natural

Reaction score
We could have had prime Dez and Calvin Johnson out there and it wouldn't have mattered. Dak just isnt the guy. Our only hope at contending is going all out for the one seed and hoping we luck up into a win or two. The more games played the more this buffoon exposes himself.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Bill Parcells says that Dak is not the problem; The O coordinator is … why not listen to him and at least let’s take a shot with another guy to fix our $50 million quarterback.
When was this? His article today says this:

They don’t have the top-quality quarterback in Dak Prescott, but I do think he’s good enough to win with. I just think they have to put more pieces around him. They just have to be more reliant on the overall scheme.
https://www.the33rdteam.com/categor...ry-nfl-playoff-team-projecting-their-futures/

That does not sound like he is saying that Prescott is a solution and that the OC is the culpable one.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Thought about making another Dak thread but I'll dump it here: He isn't going anywhere.

The rational question has to be "How can Dallas win with Dak?" Well, he has had some fantastic games. I submit that what helps Dak the most is a running game. People will incorrectly focus on the receiver corps despite the fact that Dak had quite a few stinkers in 2021 with Cooper, Lamb and a healthy Gallup (and Wilson for that matter). What really helps Dak is when he can start getting going off play action and has good down and distance situations. That's true for all QB's but it REALLY seems to be the case with Dak.

We saw it in the 9ers game where as soon as Pollard went down, the team was functionally done but you can go through a lot of the game logs and find that Dak's best games frequently correspond to a good running attack.

On top of that, get a good defense. Better than last year.

Basically, let Dak be a bus driver.

IMO, draft DT 1st round, RB 2nd round. Screw trying to fix the team with more money wasted at WR.

IslandCowboy

Reaction score
Dak doesn’t turn 30 until July. You claim you’re one of the more reasonable fans, but you want to move on from the QB who helped lead us to back to back 12 win seasons and our first road playoff win in 30 years. He’s the only Cowboys QB to have a win over Tom Brady. Granted Dak has regressed, but he’s still a good QB who’s capable of having some excellent games like we saw against Tampa in the playoffs. He gives us a chance every season and is the best option we have right now until we find a better QB. It’s not going to be easy to find a better QB than him. There were many who wanted to move on from Romo after he melted down against Washington in a season finale elimination game back in 2012. I said the same thing then I’m saying now we can’t move on from our QB until we have a better option or we could spend years and draft picks going through QB hell trying to find one.

I don’t want to see the Cowboys end up like Washington and some of these other teams that can’t find a QB. I would rather have a QB that gives us a chance to make the playoffs every season than having mediocre regular seasons with multiple QBs or a real scrub that lead to sitting home for the playoffs year after year. Nothing wrong with using a pick on a QB in this year‘s draft at some point to try and add some competition to the position but we can’t move on from Dak, until we find a solid replacement. Some fans act like we’re in a horrible situation at QB and we’re not. There’s teams around the league going through pure hell trying to find a QB and if it was up to some of the fans on this board, the Cowboys would be going through the same.

If the Rams used your logic they would have never won the Superbowl. QB is the most important position and unless you get really solid consistent play from your QB you really don't have much of a shot.

We should be spending draft capital to find a good developmental QB or finding a way to trade up. Otherwise we will just repeat the same thing over and over i.e. insanity.

Staubacher

Reaction score
Thought about making another Dak thread but I'll dump it here: He isn't going anywhere.

The rational question has to be "How can Dallas win with Dak?" Well, he has had some fantastic games. I submit that what helps Dak the most is a running game. People will incorrectly focus on the receiver corps despite the fact that Dak had quite a few stinkers in 2021 with Cooper, Lamb and a healthy Gallup (and Wilson for that matter). What really helps Dak is when he can start getting going off play action and has good down and distance situations. That's true for all QB's but it REALLY seems to be the case with Dak.

We saw it in the 9ers game where as soon as Pollard went down, the team was functionally done but you can go through a lot of the game logs and find that Dak's best games frequently correspond to a good running attack.

On top of that, get a good defense. Better than last year.

Basically, let Dak be a bus driver.

IMO, draft DT 1st round, RB 2nd round. Screw trying to fix the team with more money wasted at WR.
Dak was chucking picks before Pollard went down

lukin2006

Reaction score
We are stuck with Dak for 2 more years. But we can bring in an OC and implement a QB-friendly system. Purdy is a nice story but he has the benefit of having a coach with a great system that allows QBs to do well...

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If the Rams used your logic they would have never won the Superbowl. QB is the most important position and unless you get really solid consistent play from your QB you really don't have much of a shot.

We should be spending draft capital to find a good developmental QB or finding a way to trade up. Otherwise we will just repeat the same thing over and over i.e. insanity.
What are you talking about? The Rams used my logic. They didn’t move on from Jared Goff and leave themselves with nothing at the position, they traded him for Matt Stafford who was a better option. You might want to read my post again because I’m saying you don’t leave yourself without a viable starter. You have fans on the board that want to cut Dak immediately, then start looking for for his replacement, or go with Cooper Rush next season, which would be ridiculous. As for the Rams look at their team now. They went all in last season and it led to a rough 2022 season without any premium draft picks. They gave up a couple of first round picks for Matt Stafford, who could be done with the injury he has. He had a spinal cord contusion, and he wasn’t playing well before he got hurt. I have no issue drafting a QB at some point this April and even next year. Maybe we could hit on someone who could push Dak and possibly replace him if they develop. However, I wouldn’t be trading up for a QB with a premium pick. We’re not to that point yet.

b0xZZ

Reaction score
What Bill is saying that we need an OC with a very vanilla package because Dak gets confused easily.