We need a TE like Urtz, Kelce, Kittle

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
1118-BBF2-A726-4-F44-ABA1-56706-BDA27-A6.jpg
Your New TE coach people with the glorious toupee...LOL!

quickccc

Reaction score
Urtz; Kelce; Kittle... we need a TE like one of these guys to take this team to the next level. Someone to pair with Jarwin.

you wont draft a Ertz or Kelce to "pair' with Jarwin.
You draft those type impact TE pass catchers to " replace" Jarwin as a starter.
If anything, Jarwin would have to be a compliment, secondary TE to them. They are gonna be the ones that lead to TE show. Not vice versa.

those Ertz- Kelce types are guys you have to target early in the draft at least the 3rd round to be the cornerstone featured TE in your pass game.
I noticed that most of the top, elite TEs tend to be drafted early.
the Niners flat lucked out with George Kittle. Who like Jarwin, has surprisingly good athleticism but plays a more physical brand of game than Jarwin.

8FOR!3

Reaction score
Resign Jarwin, sign Eric Ebron, draft TE.

Say good day to Schultz

I’m cool with this. Jarwin looks really good with the ball in his hands he makes explosive runs after catch for a TE. Ebron was a red zone stud the previous season. The rookie TE can be groomed, I don’t buy Schultz at all. I mean coaches have a much better look at him but if he doesn’t impress in preseason I’d let him walk

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
TE is a really, really hard position to draft.

I'm going to borrow, and by borrow I mean steal, a chart that PFF posted the other day. This is every first-round TE taken in the last decade.

HOAhaKC.png

As they concluded, "this list reads like a who's who of tantalizing yet middling tight end play."

Interestingly enough, Kelce was a 2nd round pick, Ertz was a 2nd round pick, and Kittle was a 5th round pick. Mark Andrews was also a 3rd rounder.

And if you look at it, Kelce/Ertz/Kittle/Andrews is almost the entire list of productive TEs in the NFL. There's a few other guys like Tyler Higbee and Austin Hooper getting some catches, but as any fantasy player will tell you, there's not even a dozen real TE1s out there. It's quietly become a dying position.

So drafting a dying position with a steep learning curve that most colleges don't even bother to feature any more - it's a major gamble. IMO, if you just wanted to limit your exposure to risk, roll with JAGs at that spot, and spend your draft resources at other positions, I wouldn't blame you. But if you do want to try and find a TE, I say you either need to
-draft a freak athlete, or
-go to a college TE farm like Alabama, Notre Dame, Stanford or Iowa and pick one of their guys who knows how to play in-line.

If someone fits both of those criteria, like Fant, Hock, or Howard, I could see signing off on a first round pick there. But if I can only get one, I'm hedging my bets and using a Day 2 pick or later. Interestingly, Kittle met both and went in the 5th round.

Personally, I'd prefer to not draft any TE this cycle. Jarwin has the athletic profile of a mid-rounder and has spent three years developing into a pretty decent receiver. I'm not spending a mid-round pick and waiting 3 years to see if a new guy could develop into something better, I'd prefer to just pay Jarwin. Schultz can keep JAGing it up on the bench - most coaches only use a 2nd tight end about 15% of the time.
Good post