We need an offensive mind at HC because..

Reaction score
Whether it's Norv Turner, Colt's QB coach Jim Caldwell, or another offensive minded coach, it would be in the Cowboy's best interest to go in that direction. Here are just a couple of reasons why:
  • The 'Boys finally have a legitimate Pro-Bowl calibur QB in Tony Romo. They need an offensive-minded head coach who knows the importance of bringing in an assistant who can work personally with Romo, to get the best out of him. We all know of the Troy Aikman speech, where he talks about how important Norv Turner, then the offensive coordinator/QB coach for the Cowboys, was in his development. According to Aikman, Norv Turner was the coach responsible for Aikman's growth as a professional NFL QB. The team needs the same type of coach to come in & handle Romo.
  • A head coach with an offensive background knows that an offense goes nowhere without the beasts on the OL plowing the ground, and leading the way. Parcells did an excellent job bringing in some great defensive talent. That was his forte. However, he missed badly on some high OL draft picks. With Romo at QB, a Pro-Bowl TE, Pro-Bowl WRs, and two quality HBs working the RB rotation, all that's left to take this offense to the next level is better talent on the OL. Just think if we would draft a Justin Blalock or Joe Staley, a FS like Meriweather or Weddle, and a monster OG like Manuel Ramirez, in the first 3 rds. of the draft. How much better would this team be? Maybe even another OL down the line, so to speak, would be fine with me. If we have grabbed a Steinbach in FA, it would be even better.
The point is, whatever a coach played in the NFL, or coached as an assistant, he tends to concentrate on once he becomes a HC. That includes focusing on which side of the ball he stockpiles his talent on.

Reaction score
Cogan;1361321 said:
Whether it's Norv Turner, Colt's QB coach Jim Caldwell, or another offensive minded coach, it would be in the Cowboy's best interest to go in that direction. Here are just a couple of reasons why:
  • The 'Boys finally have a legitimate Pro-Bowl calibur QB in Tony Romo. They need an offensive-minded head coach who knows the importance of bringing in an assistant who can work personally with Romo, to get the best out of him. We all know of the Troy Aikman speech, where he talks about how important Norv Turner, then the offensive coordinator/QB coach for the Cowboys, was in his development. According to Aikman, Norv Turner was the coach responsible for Aikman's growth as a professional NFL QB. The team needs the same type of coach to come in & handle Romo.
  • A head coach with an offensive background knows that an offense goes nowhere without the beasts on the OL plowing the ground, and leading the way. Parcells did an excellent job bringing in some great defensive talent. That was his forte. However, he missed badly on some high OL draft picks. With Romo at QB, a Pro-Bowl TE, Pro-Bowl WRs, and two quality HBs working the RB rotation, all that's left to take this offense to the next level is better talent on the OL. Just think if we would draft a Justin Blalock or Joe Staley, a FS like Meriweather or Weddle, and a monster OG like Manuel Ramirez, in the first 3 rds. of the draft. How much better would this team be? Maybe even another OL down the line, so to speak, would be fine with me. If we have grabbed a Steinbach in FA, it would be even better.
The point is, whatever a coach played in the NFL, or coached as an assistant, he tends to concentrate on once he becomes a HC. That includes focusing on which side of the ball he stockpiles his talent on.

I completely agree, but Columbo was a nice suprise.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don't think it matters if the HC background is on defense or offense. Any coach will understand that this teams offensive line is in need of help. The HC job is to oversee the entire team not just the offense or the defense. Give me a HC who demands respect from 53 men and he has a chance to win in this league.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
We had one of the most explosive offenses in the league last year. I refuse to believe this nonsense.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
So even if you accept the dubious premise that our offense, which finished fourth or fifth overall in the league, needs improvement... What about the other side of the ball? You know, where our problems were?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1361342 said:
So even if you accept the dubious premise that our offense, which finished fourth or fifth overall in the league, needs improvement... What about the other side of the ball? You know, where our problems were?

Funny thing is Dungy was a DC yet his Colts are known a lot more for their offensive unit than being a top notch defense and a guy like Brian Billick who was an offensive coach yet his Ravens are not known for their offensive fire power as much as their defensive unit. Who ever the HC is he will have coordinators who will over see their own units but the HC has to be in charge of everything because in the end it all falls on his shoulders

The Realist

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1361352 said:
Funny thing is Dungy was a DC yet his Colts are known a lot more for their offensive unit than being a top notch defense and a guy like Brian Billick who was an offensive coach yet his Ravens are not known for their offensive fire power as much as their defensive unit. Who ever the HC is he will have coordinators who will over see their own units but the HC has to be in charge of everything because in the end it all falls on his shoulders

Certainly doesn't sound like a job for Norv.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The Realist;1361360 said:
Certainly doesn't sound like a job for Norv.

That would depend on how much clout Jones is willing to give any HC. Players will push any coach if they know that coach does not have any say in discipline. If a coach like Rivera is given the job how far would Jerry allow him to go?

SteveOS

Dedicated to Sports Gaming
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1361352 said:

I agree 100%. I made a post about this very thing about a month ago. Great minds think alike. :D

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1361336 said:
I don't think it matters if the HC background is on defense or offense. Any coach will understand that this teams offensive line is in need of help. The HC job is to oversee the entire team not just the offense or the defense. Give me a HC who demands respect from 53 men and he has a chance to win in this league.

:hammer:

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
Sparano and Garrett would seem to be a strong young pair of offensive coaches.

An offensive head coach isn't a bad idea in this now offensive league, but with Sparano and Garrett, I don't think the Cowboys have to go in that direction.

But whoever the Cowboys hire as head coach, their ability to get along with T. Owens must be factored in.

A fiery, no nonsense, gung ho, "there's no I in team" type just doesn't match up with the reality of dealing with T. Owens and his traveling media circus. That just won't work.

A guy like Norv could probably do it. Singletary or Rivera? I'm guessing not.