We Needed DeSean Jackson Or Early Doucet...

sd963

Reaction score
I really wanted him. Also, Im still really angry that we took that TE over Early Doucet :bang2:

dadymat

I'm kind of a Big Deal
Reaction score
none of this years WRs were any good...id rather have another good TE than another bad WR

DFWJC

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31;2059465 said:
Martellus Bennett will be a far better pro than either of those two

That will be one of the debates until time proves the answer. Looks like the Cowboys certainly thought so.

Wimbo

Reaction score
well, what do you want... the 10th best WR in a bad class of WR's, or a TE that most had as one of the top 3 TE's, and a top 50 pick (at pick 61)? Not only that... another 20 picks passed before anyone grabbed Doucet... so, I don't think anyone else was falling out to get him, either.

And DeSean Jackson? He was taken with the 49th pick... 12 before the Bennett pick.

UVAwahoos

Benched
Reaction score
Tough call. I think it would've taken 2-3 years to really develop any of those WRs into descent NFL players. There were no NFL ready ones and our window is NOW more so than 3 years from now. We wait a year and either move up a couple spots to get a good one in next year's draft or try to acquire RW or some other unhappy stud receiver on a bad team. Since we didn't go after McFadden, I'm thinking we saved ourselves some nice cap space even with the Barber signing. Somebody can correct me on that if I'm wrong please. Either way, there's no point in really forcing the WR issue in a draft that has little to offer.

Eddie

Reaction score
Why does everyone think it'll take 2-3 years before any of these WR's develop?

I'll wager my house that there's going to be at least one rookie WR who goes for 800+ yards receiving this year.

You guys sound like parrots. All you do it repeat what you hear.

Wimbo

Reaction score
Eddie;2059654 said:

I'll wager my house that there's going to be at least one rookie WR who goes for 800+ yards receiving this year.

Well. This thread was about DeSean Jackson (who doesn't count, because he was off the board before we picked in the 2nd) and Early Doucet. So, you want to bet your house that Early Doucet will crack 800 yards this year for Arizona, where he will be the 4th receiver? Really?

SPHawk

Reaction score
Eddie;2059654 said:

So why be the odd parrot that goes out on a limb? :D

UVAwahoos

Benched
Reaction score
Eddie;2059654 said:

Well luckily I didn't hear that from anywhere then.

It's fine if one of these dudes go for 800 yards on a 4-12 team with no current solid receiving options. You can get back on here and brag away about how you were "correct" then.

In reality, there wasn't a receiver on the board that could immediately surpass Crayton/Hurd/Stanback on our depth chart and actually get some descent playing time in order to go for "800 yards"...meaning there were no #2 receiving options in this draft for OUR roster so we didn't force the issue.

SPHawk

Reaction score
sd963;2059794 said:
DeSean will be good next year. I guarantee it.

We all can guarantee a lot of different things but no one knows if it'll happen or not.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Eddie;2059654 said:

and saw. 32 teams didn't feel one was 1st grade talent either.

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
Here's a thought on why Jackson didn't go higher. From ESPN.com's James Walker

File it away

The Philadelphia Eagles selected Cal receiver Desean Jackson, a burner who has the ability to be a starter, especially with Philly's thin receiving group. But Jackson is recovering from a thumb injury that he suffered in college that scared some teams off. Size also is an issue: Jackson is just under 5-10 and weighs 170 pounds.

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117754

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
We have to start somewhere grooming a WR(s). Or are we going to fill the top spots on our receiving corps thru FA. But it will have to wait until next year.