We should be drafting to switch to a 3-4 but we won't

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
@KingintheNorth is bang on about multiple defenses. There are wrinkles, eg Quinn, but no one's running the old school Parcells or Belichick 3-4 any more.

Marinelli did try to run a very doctrinaire Tampa 2 five years ago, and he cost us TJ Watt. Today, I don't know if there are any Marinellis or similar 3-4 acolytes even left calling a defense in the league any more.

Majic

Reaction score
@KingintheNorth is bang on about multiple defenses. There are wrinkles, eg Quinn, but no one's running the old school Parcells or Belichick 3-4 any more.

Marinelli did try to run a very doctrinaire Tampa 2 five years ago, and he cost us TJ Watt. Today, I don't know if there are any Marinellis or similar 3-4 acolytes even left calling a defense in the league any more.
Yes , but the Parcells, Belichicks always wanted a certain mould. That has not changed.

tm1119

Reaction score
The 4-3 and 3-4 either/or base isn’t really a thing anymore.

Teams are multiple now and if you had to put a scheme label on it, the majority of defenses are a 4-2-5. Defensive lines change their alignment (1Tech,3Tech, 5Tech, etc.,) based on what they think the offense is trying to do.

Personnel is much more critical than scheme now.

DQ uses a Safety as a third LB and Zimmer will likely to use that third LB. Their duties will be 90% the same though. Overshown is basically a big Safety (skill and athleticism) with the size to play LB.
With what personnel we currently have I’d prefer a sudo 3-3-5 look with Micah as the 3rd LB. By the time the snap happens it would be the traditional 4-2-5 with Micah rushing 75% of the time…just not from 1 spot with his hand in the dirt every snap.

Osa-Mazi-DLaw
Micah-Kendricks-Clark
Diggs-Bland-Lewis
Hooker-Wilson

-Fehoko and Golston back up the end spots
-Carl Davis (I guess?) backs up Mazi
-Williams backs up Micah and plays DE in “NASCAR” package/obvious passing downs.
-Overshown and Bell as nice versatile depth pieces. J. Thomas is a decent backup too, but depth at FS and CB is a little scary to me.

I know it’s “The Cowboys Way” to just stick a draft pick in the lineup, but Overshown will be essentially a rookie coming off an
ACL. Putting him in a starting spot with a ton of coverage responsibilities would be a gamble to say the least.