We should have kept the band together

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I think we made a big mistake by not re-signing Murray.

Now, I feel it was too much money. But we have overpaid before. We should have again.

The philosophy of run was established. It was almost like because we had murray that Garrett couldn't really go off the reservation too much because..... Murray just worked!

I was all for keeping band together... Then when I saw the money he was getting... I said no way.

Now.... I wish we overpaid. (Who knows... Maybe Romo never gets hurt)

Opportunities are become fewer and fewer... Window closing tight.... Quick....

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I think we made a big mistake by not re-signing Murray.

Now, I feel it was too much money. But we have overpaid before. We should have again.

The philosophy of run was established. It was almost like because we had murray that Garrett couldn't really go off the reservation too much because..... Murray just worked!

I was all for keeping band together... Then when I saw the money he was getting... I said no way.

Now.... I wish we overpaid. (Who knows... Maybe Romo never gets hurt)

Opportunities are become fewer and fewer... Window closing tight.... Quick....

Did not want to lose Murray either but it is what it is. Cowboys need a solution, and it isn't Joseph Randle.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
We would be in better shape with Murray at RB, without question, but the reality is he would be doing nothing close to what he was last year. This being because Romo would most likely still be hurt and Weeden would still not be scaring anyone. So Murray would face a lot more people in the box, his numbers would be down, and he'd be getting roasted for getting paid and no longer caring.

That said I think Randle, McFadden, and Dunbar all have more yards rushing this year then Murray does...so there is that as well.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I didn't want him to leave either. I think it was a big mistake. the biggest though was thinking Randle could handle the load. It is what it is though. We'll have to find somebody next year. This year is about washed up anyway.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Let me remind everyone WHY Romo was throwing on 2nd down when he got hurt. For the 1000th time this season...we got next to nothing running on 1st down. Had a capable RB (Murray or whomever) been on this team....Romo probably does not get hurt and our season would look different. I will not argue for or against keeping Murray...but I will say that these highly paid scouts, coaching staff, front office have an OBLIGATION to provide a workable solution since they deemed Murray to expensive!

silver

Reaction score
It worked the previous year by not resigning Ware, they figured it would work again this year. So far the massive injuries have derailed the plan. Even with Murray we would he hard pressed to post a winning season without Romo.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let me remind everyone WHY Romo was throwing on 2nd down when he got hurt. For the 1000th time this season...we got next to nothing running on 1st down. Had a capable RB (Murray or whomever) been on this team....Romo probably does not get hurt and our season would look different.
This completely baffles me. This read that you think Murray would have got more yards on 1st down than our RB's did. Not sure you can really make that case stick.

Aven8

Reaction score
We screwed the pooch, no doubt! However we should have franchised Murray and signed Dez. One year rental on the way to the SB. Oh well, our RBBC is a complete failure by the front office and coaching staff!

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
we should have franchised Murray

Would have easily been the worst off season decision this team could have made. Murray isn't anywhere close to being what the tag would have paid him. Add in the risk of losing Dez and it's easy to see why that didn't happen.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
We screwed the pooch, no doubt! However we should have franchised Murray and signed Dez. One year rental on the way to the SB. Oh well, our RBBC is a complete failure by the front office and coaching staff!

This was my thought. You could have franchised him, signed Dez and used him for a year. I think there would have been a decline but he was a leader in the locker room and knew the system..and got extra yards. Stat I heard the other day was that we are 1 out of 6 on 3rd and 1s this year. That's very telling.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Let's not forget the fact that this line was doing just fine when Callahan was in charge of the OL. The 'Skins running game has improved by leaps and bounds while ours has sputtered. I don't think it's entirely due to a less than ideal offseason, although it probably was a contributing factor as well. This offensive line is looking much too lethargic.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
I didn't want to lose Murray either but the asking price is too high. I miss the character, attitude, focus, and toughness he brought to the team as one of its leaders as much as I miss his production.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
Let me remind everyone WHY Romo was throwing on 2nd down when he got hurt. For the 1000th time this season...we got next to nothing running on 1st down. Had a capable RB (Murray or whomever) been on this team....Romo probably does not get hurt and our season would look different. I will not argue for or against keeping Murray...but I will say that these highly paid scouts, coaching staff, front office have an OBLIGATION to provide a workable solution since they deemed Murray to expensive!
That's absolutely right. Romo never got hit and injured last season...oh wait, he did, had his ribs broken, and missed time because of it.

Also, here are the real numbers:
Last year, on first down runs, Murray failed to gain 2 yards 30.1% of the time.
This year, in the first two games (games with Romo), our RBs failed to gain 2 yards on 1st down runs 21.9% of the time.
Next!

PoundTheRock

Reaction score

Thing is they wouldn't have gotten as good a deal on Dez without the franchise tag. The Cowboys and Broncos absolutely price fixed the costs of Dez and DeMaryius down with the tag.

cowboyuptx

Reaction score
I don't know, it was looking like we were about to make lemonade out of lemons, as Lance Dunbar literally looked like he was on his way to the Pro Bowl. I know that's not the same thing as having Murray, but it just goes to show that Romo is what's really important. Ideally I'd still like to have Murray on the roster, but not for that much money...