We should have taken Thornhill

stilltheguru

Reaction score
if you are talking about PFF then no he did not. also, we have already demonstrated your lack of ability to observe or think for yourself. I have repeatedly challenged you to discuss football as it is played on the field and you consistently fail to do so.

Hill was inconsistent but that was an improvement over what he was the year before. Given the lack of improvement by anyone else on the squad that is noteworthy.
Pff reaffirmed my eye test. Thanks

fivetwos

Reaction score
Generally speaking rueing is worthless if you cannot come up with causes and their solutions.

If you look at most of the picks from defense you can see Marinelli's fingerprints all over them. Fortunately he's gone.

Nolan actually had a good track record with talent. He should've been a scout not a coach.

Quinn did not have a lot of top 100 success for defense in Atlanta or Seattle.

I think the solution here is to stop letting coaches allow you to focus on individuals they single out.
Its obvious how things are done in Dallas.

Jerry collects opinions of many in the building and comes to a consensus in his own.

He goes with whoever makes the most compelling argument.

Thats why you see coaches with much more influence than usual.

Recipe for disaster. Jerry and his kid call it "secret sauce."

They don't have any sort of clue how far off they are....but none of this will change until there are several seasons in a row like this past two.

The fact that they are good enough to beat the snot out of teams that aren't trying to win and the awful division allows this mess to continue.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't blame Marinelli for passing on him. Rather I fully blame the man that hired him, promoted him to DC, and worst of all allowed him any input into the draft discussion. Particularly after the Taco Charlton huge fail. And that one man is Jerry Jones.

Jerry doesn't know the first thing about most of the draft eligible players. He relies on the advice of his coaches and scouts. Their is no singular guiding vision in Dallas. Its truly a collective fail.

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
Of course we should have. And everyone on earth with more than half a functioning brain knew it in real time. But instead we reached for a project in a position of need. Just as we did with Taco.

Think about that before you ascribe to the idea of "draft defense with every pick!" I'd sooner draft 2 more WRs in the first 2 rounds this year than reach for another trash bum defender that repeatedly gets beat like a drum or can't even make the active roster.

That trysten hill pick still makes my blood boil.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
I posted this in another thread:

LVE first round pick

taco- first round pick

Jaylon-34th pick

gregory- 2nd round pick

Chico- 2nd rounder

trysten hill- second rounder

that’s 6 first or second round picks that have either been flat out terrible or they get almost nothing out of for various reasons

And then the best defensive player they drafted they let walk in free agency. That is why the defense is bad.

Tussinman

Reaction score
I posted this in another thread:

LVE first round pick

taco- first round pick

Jaylon-34th pick

gregory- 2nd round pick

Chico- 2nd rounder

trysten hill- second rounder

that’s 6 first or second round picks that have either been flat out terrible or they get almost nothing out of for various reasons
thumb.jpg

Mr_437

Reaction score
Heck yeah man, Juan Thornhill was a no brainier, and found out this front office is lacking.

My pet cat gone bad: Gavin Escobar

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Upcoming Super Bowl is no. 55. Brady playing in that one will be his 10th.
10÷55= 18% participation rate.
Thats pretty insane when you think about it,, how can the goat be disputed, yet still many do.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
And then the best defensive player they drafted they let walk in free agency. That is why the defense is bad.
Oh Byron would be a nice player on a good team,, lets not fool ourselves that this is a team worthy of 2nd contract nice players.
If Jerry had a clue, he would be trading every available contract that can be, and collecting draft picks and cap leverage.
But we are the Cowboys, the average Cowboys, we sale tickets and caps, like 7-11 sales lottery tickets.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
I don't blame Marinelli for passing on him. Rather I fully blame the man that hired him, promoted him to DC, and worst of all allowed him any input into the draft discussion. Particularly after the Taco Charlton huge fail. And that one man is Jerry Jones.
Don’t forget they gave Crawford a huge deal too. This guy ruined our defensive line and set us back for years

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Don’t forget they gave Crawford a huge deal too. This guy ruined our defensive line and set us back for years
Man needs some big sun glasses to cover up the black eye punches.
The blunders are piling up, and too many mistakes eventually equal 8-8 for decades,, sad but true story.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Well you aren't wrong.

He went from absolutely zero to penetrating the LOS a few times this past season.

And holding the poa against double teams and combos, shedding blocks to make tackles, and other plays.

You guys like to wave your hands at slow recognition that gets him washed but he clearly has improved his technique and recognition in a year where he had little opportunity to be coached.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Its obvious how things are done in Dallas.

Jerry collects opinions of many in the building and comes to a consensus in his own.

He goes with whoever makes the most compelling argument.

Thats why you see coaches with much more influence than usual.

Recipe for disaster. Jerry and his kid call it "secret sauce."

They don't have any sort of clue how far off they are....but none of this will change until there are several seasons in a row like this past two.

The fact that they are good enough to beat the snot out of teams that aren't trying to win and the awful division allows this mess to continue.

The problem is not adjusting for coaches that are poor evaluators.

thing is that jerry jones has repeatedly shown the capacity for introspection and positive change. moreso than most around here.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
I wanted Thornhill too, but he’s been little more than a role player. We’ve passed on better safeties the past couple years.