We should trade for a Safety

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We need to hit up our old buddies the Raidas for a trade of Joseph.
People post often about trading for Karl Joseph, but there must be a reason the Raiders seem to have given up on him. He was a first round pick in 2016 (Pick 14).

He is a Strong Safety but is a bit small for SS at 5'9-5/8", 205.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
It's obvious they don't care about the safety position. I mean they had a shot at 3 safeties that ranked late first early 2nd round grades at pick 60 and passed on them. Pick should have been thornhill.

ICP

Reaction score
I doubt any trade for a safey happens. If anything they wil retread Eric Berry and see if he has any gas left in the tank

BigD49

Reaction score
Agree with the concept of trading for one to improve depth, but I can't say I'm too in-tune with which teams might have a logjam at the position other than the oft-discussed OAK. Anyone have any insight as to which teams could theoretically have a tough cut that they'd rather recoup a late pick for?

quickccc

Reaction score
I want to see what Tyvus Powell can do in this next game. He played far better against the Rams than he did SF. In which he only had 2 days, 1 practice to get thrown out there.
I think he can push Iloka for the 5th S spot, if they keep 5. I think they keep Wilson since he was a draft pick.
Some think Frazier may be out, but it comes down to ST's with him, can / do the others play ST's.

I can't see them trading for a s at this point. Especially Taco since we are down a few DL. But DLaw and Crawford are back. So maybe they showcase Taco this weekend.

- i'd like to check that again with Powell as I thought I saw Tyvus Powell playing CB rather than safety. He has size and 40 time speed, and you know how much Richard
emphasizes size, length and physical press play with his CBs. Maybe Powell also was playing CB, because of the current injury situation as Michael Jackson
and Chris Westry did not play in last Rams preseason game.
BTW, I'm really wondering if the team may try to IR Westry this year.. vs non-exposing him and trying to sneaking him onto practice squad. only he cannot practice with the PS team if they declare
him as IR.

- If we are merely trading for a safety- it has to be about special teams/depth. at this point it's not gonna be someone that challenge for a starting safety role, and the team seems to think
Donovan Wilson may be a pleasant surprise and want to give him an opportunity as the 3rd safety. One plus is Wilson's football IQ and savvy to be able to lead and lineup fellow DB teammates
which is rare to see a rookie doing that.

- Frankly I seem to think that 4th safety spot may end up going to Darius Thompson, besides experience and special teams I don't see what stands him out so, but I've heard Podcast guys like
Broaddus say that they like Thompson's fundamentals and discipline in that he is always in position and he doesn't make mistakes on his assignments.

- And even in these preseason along with camp reports - George Iloka is looking like a bust FA signing, he just doesn't show up and make plays. Nothing stands him out.
He's absolutely JAG as they come.

- When healthy Kavon Frazier is one of the best special teams coverage guys in the entire league. the problem is that's the only place that he makes his presence felt.
He could probably be a solid run support guy if that was the only assignment he'd be given. But when it comes to coverage, he seems to lack any feel, knack or instincts in that area.
He can be had and exposed. and the more he is spread out and isolated in open space, the more he struggles and doesn't make the play.
and add that to zero ball hawk skills, and you have a backup that you really do not want to have to take the field in an emergency injury situation.

I read where even when Heath or Woods were dinged up at few times during last season, Frazier finally got some reps in the regular base defense and he still didn't fare too well (see Seahawk regular season game) and after that, he rarely saw any time in the regular defense again. Richard has to want more than that from his backup depth guys.
As terrific as Frazier is on special teams, and given that he is also due to be a FA in offseason, I don't see Frazier making the team this time around, ..unless they decide
Frazier is just too exceptional on special teams coverage ..and that alone could force them to somehow keep 5 safeties.
1 - heath
2 - Xavier
3- Wilson
4- Thompson
5- Frazier ?

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
It's obvious they don't care about the safety position. I mean they had a shot at 3 safeties that ranked late first early 2nd round grades at pick 60 and passed on them. Pick should have been thornhill.

Myself still intrigued with Hill's speed.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Lets just dial up 1-800-saftyhelp

hqdefault.jpg

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Taco has really picked it up in the preseason.

But yeah, trade him for a safety.

Here's a little secret. If your DL sucks, it doesn't matter what sort of players you have in the secondary. They will get torched in the passing game and constantly have to deal with taking down RBs who have a head of steam.

But yeah, trade DL for S. Brilliant.
People are tough on Taco for whatever reason. I think he can be a decent rotational guy but I guess some can't get the first round pick out of their mind

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I am sure we can find somebody better than Frazier or Iloka even considering Wilson as the 3rd safety.any injury to the starters will be catastrophic.I am on board trading Taco for a safety/\.

Getting an in the box SS to take those duties from Heath is the low hanging fruit to upgrade the team. They may just wait on final cuts for it instead of trading for a guy.

bb721

Reaction score
Not sure why they don't want to take a chance on Berry.

With Eric Berry’s injury history he probably won’t be signed until after week one when the contracts are no longer fully guaranteed.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Watch the rookie tonight Jeff heat is injured he should get most of the snaps I forgot his name but he's all over the football plays with confidence. We might have a rookie that's a diamond in the rough

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I want to see what Tyvus Powell can do in this next game. He played far better against the Rams than he did SF. In which he only had 2 days, 1 practice to get thrown out there.
I think he can push Iloka for the 5th S spot, if they keep 5. I think they keep Wilson since he was a draft pick.
Some think Frazier may be out, but it comes down to ST's with him, can / do the others play ST's.

I can't see them trading for a s at this point. Especially Taco since we are down a few DL. But DLaw and Crawford are back. So maybe they showcase Taco this weekend.
Trading is a quick solution that always comes with a price and risk.
The in house investment is always the best call if you trust guys like McClay with the evaluations.
I don't think this team is in the position at this point to have to make a trade.
I want to see what Donovan Wilson upside looks like, does he keep improving his game if given more reps?
I always keep an eye on other teams final cuts, and that's your best value if you can grab a vet if your really depleted,, but Im not seeing our DB core as being depleted.
Im looking at some interesting prospects that can add too an already young talented group.
We got some rooks that fit the tweener "star" role between safety/corner.

lostar2009

Reaction score
With Eric Berry’s injury history he probably won’t be signed until after week one when the contracts are no longer fully guaranteed.

Yeah but we could get him now for the cheap and get him into the play book.