Weakest position in Cowboys history

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
Dallas has employed a lot of superstars over the years and can boast of having perhaps the best group of running backs in NFL history, as well as perhaps other positions.

But what position has been the weakest in Cowboys history? The position where Dallas has had few, if any, superstars? Opinions?

I can hear the sarcasm now, "Weakest post in Cowboys history."

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
lurkercowboy said:
Dallas has employed a lot of superstars over the years and can boast of having perhaps the best group of running backs in NFL history, as well as perhaps other positions.

But what position has been the weakest in Cowboys history? The position where Dallas has had few, if any, superstars? Opinions?

Actually, great post, lurker.

Much better than another Ty Law epic. :)

I would have to say punter.

When a QB pulling double duty was the best in team history, that's pretty weak.

My second choice would have to be outside linebacker. We usually have had solid players out there, but stressed smarts over physical skill for years under Tom Landry (ever see D.D. Lewis?) and it continued even to this day where we don't have superstars out there. Thomas Henderson was the closest we had to a "superstar". But the others, and even Chuck Howley were not quite superstars. Just solid players.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Noseguard as this will be the first year we ever had one or ILB as that too will be a first as we always had a MLB...

not what you were looking for huh

how about Center not really weak but nothing HOF worthy either

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Alexander said:
Actually, great post, lurker.

Much better than another Ty Law epic. :)

I would have to say punter.

When a QB pulling double duty was the best in team history, that's pretty weak.

My second choice would have to be outside linebacker. We usually have had solid players out there, but stressed smarts over physical skill for years under Tom Landry (ever see D.D. Lewis?) and it continued even to this day where we don't have superstars out there. Thomas Henderson was the closest we had to a "superstar". But the others, and even Chuck Howley were not quite superstars. Just solid players.

was with ya till there...now take it back:mad:

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
I was going to say punter first then OLB, but then I thought about Howley. Henderson was great, but he didn't play long. DD Lewis was solid, but other than that? Norton? Coakley? Darrin Smith? No hall of famers there.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Punter, i mean how many times have you seen a great cowboy punter, OLB and Center, these are postions you just never see "greatness" from, solid blue collar work, but not "superstar" level

Alexander

Reaction score
Zaxor said:
was with ya till there...now take it back:mad:

Yes, that sounded ignorant.

Chuck was one of my favorite players ever, but he was completely unappreciated and never was a "superstar", at least in the way people think of it. He was never going to get the press of his contemporaries.

Not trying to insult--LOL

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Alexander said:
Yes, that sounded ignorant.

Chuck was one of my favorite players ever, but he was completely unappreciated and never was a "superstar", at least in the way people think of it. He was never going to get the press of his contemporaries.

Not trying to insult--LOL

Glad:) Chuck really was under appreciated and it gets worse with time

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
At center, John Fitzgerald, Tom Rafferty and Mark Stepnoski were all pretty good. Step made his share of pro bowls.

Alexander

Reaction score
Come to think of it, we have had some pretty ordinary kickers. Toni Frisch and Rafael "Don't call me the King of Pop" Septein were the best we ever had.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
lurkercowboy said:

I won't go that far, but I can admit that I hate threads like this...

Chuck 54

Reaction score
QB...1 HOF + 1 on the way
RB...1 HOF + 1 on the way
WR...2-3 deserving
TE...Ditka already there
C...Ray Donaldson was forgotten too soon but a true superstar
G...John Niland, Newton, Allen, etc.
T...Rayfield Wright, Big E

DT...White, Lilly, and other greats
DE...too Tall, Martin, Haley
OLB...Howley should be in the Hall, but after him it's pretty weak
MLB...Jordan was good but not great...Godfrey may have been our best
S...Cornell Green finished there, Harris, and now Roy
CB...Renfro, Adderley, Deon

From that list, I'd say it's close between Center and LB....Center probably had the fewest probowlers ever, but that's probably true of all teams. I think our LBs have been the weakest positions on the team with Chuck Howley probably being the only superstar deserving of the HOF...just my opinion.

I also find that surprising since the Cowboys have always taken great pride in defense.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LB... by far the "weakest" of all our positions throughout our history.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
QB...1 HOF + 1 on the way
RB...1 HOF + 1 on the way
WR...2-3 deserving
TE...Ditka already there
C...Ray Donaldson was forgotten too soon but a true superstar
G...John Niland, Newton, Allen, etc.
T...Rayfield Wright, Big E

DT...White, Lilly, and other greats
DE...too Tall, Martin, Haley
OLB...Howley should be in the Hall, but after him it's pretty weak
MLB...Jordan was good but not great...Godfrey may have been our best
S...Cornell Green finished there, Harris, and now Roy
CB...Renfro, Adderley, Deon

From that list, I'd say it's close between Center and LB....Center probably had the fewest probowlers ever, but that's probably true of all teams. I think our LBs have been the weakest positions on the team with Chuck Howley probably being the only superstar deserving of the HOF...just my opinion.

I also find that surprising since the Cowboys have always taken great pride in defense.
Godfrey over Lee Roy Jordan??

YIKES!!!!

MLB has been pretty weak with Dat/Lockhart as prolly 3rd best candidates.

Add Woody and Charlie Waters as Safety.

Donaldson was already 80 when we signed him so he didn't play here that long. Step was a better center for us. Center was a weakness compared to the others.

Dallas has had awesome talent over the years.

joseephuss

Reaction score
jterrell said:
Godfrey over Lee Roy Jordan??

YIKES!!!!

MLB has been pretty weak with Dat/Lockhart as prolly 3rd best candidates.

Add Woody and Charlie Waters as Safety.

Donaldson was already 80 when we signed him so he didn't play here that long. Step was a better center for us. Center was a weakness compared to the others.

Dallas has had awesome talent over the years.

Dallas did not seem to miss a beat when Step was injured toward the end of the 1993 season. They were able to run the ball very well without him especially in the playoffs.

I don't really consider Donaldson a Cowboy because he made his name for the Colts, but he was very good in Dallas. The running game really suffered after he became injured late in 1995.

Tom Rafferty was a good center. Centers in Dallas may not have been HOF material, but then again, the HOF has very few lineman in the hall compared to other positions and certainly any Cowboy center would never come close to qualifying.