Weddle, Chargers relationship not 'fine'

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Weddle, Chargers relationship not 'fine'

By Kevin Acee | 12:17 p.m. Dec. 28, 2015
2447973_sd_sp_chargers_lastnc_1902_r900x493.jpg
Eric Weddle watched from the sidelines as he know this may the Chargers last game in San Diego. — Nelvin C. Cepeda / San Diego Union-Tribune

It is now a virtual certainty the Chargers will lose their All-Pro free safety after this season.

At least the team got something in return and left the relationship in ashes.

The team last Tuesday informed Weddle he was being fined $10,000 for remaining on the field Sunday to watch his daughter perform during a dance ceremony at halftime of the game between the Chargers and Miami Dolphins.

Weddle was stunned. He was also furious.

But he declined to go public with the fine. Monday, however, in the wake of the team placing him on injured reserve against his wishes and telling him there is not room on the plane for him to go to the season finale in Denver, Weddle's agent tweeted about the fine.

Weddle had previously not closed the door on remaining with the only team for which he has ever played, even after an unpleasant spring and summer in which the team declined to engage in talks about a contract extension.

“I wouldn’t say impossible,” he said before the team's Dec. 20 home finale. “A lot depends on who wants me. That’s a big thing. It’s not so much about what I’m perceived to be worth, that’s not the issue here; it never was.”

Weddle planned to make free agent visits and considered it unlikely he would be a Charger in 2016. But he was also struggling with leaving Philip Rivers and the young defensive backs with which he has grown close and come to believe can form a nucleus of a top-notch defense.

“We’re ready to go,” he said. “It’s exciting. But there’s uncertainty. … I can see myself (taking) the next step. But then when I get talking with Philip, it breaks me to think he’s going to be here alone without me. That’s where the other side comes in – can I swallow my pride for guys like him? It’s tough. I’m going to have to weigh everything.”

Between the fine and his placement on IR, there is almost certainly no more weighing necessary.

Weddle did not tell team officials beforehand that he was staying on the field. He should have done that. But the team did not have to penalize him for what it termed “conduct detrimental to the team.”

Detrimental? How about completely alienating a player who spends as much time at the facility as anyone and has started 92 of the past 94 games through myriad injuries and taught younger players and been like a coach during games.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/dec/28/weddle-chargers-fine-daughter/
===

Come to Dallas, Eric.

Your epic beard + Frederick's will rule the universe.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Nice and thanks to @Alexander for posting this. I moved this to the roster zone and not the NFL Zone since there is a long discussion in the roster zone about the player and this was embedded in that thread. Articles stand alone so we'll leave it in its on thread where it will hopefully generate some nice discussion.

Always liked the player. Not sure we shouldn't draft one dominant safety and play him with Jones then shore up the CB position rather than put a vet back there. OTOH, I love their experience and that is very stabilizing to the secondary. Players learn from watching players as much as from the coaches.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Nice and thanks to @Alexander for posting this. I moved this to the roster zone and not the NFL Zone since there is a long discussion in the roster zone about the player and this was embedded in that thread. Articles stand alone so we'll leave it in its on thread where it will hopefully generate some nice discussion.

Always liked the player. Not sure we shouldn't draft one dominant safety and play him with Jones then shore up the CB position rather than put a vet back there. OTOH, I love their experience and that is very stabilizing to the secondary. Players learn from watching players as much as from the coaches.

Cowboys desperately need leadership and playmaking in the secondary, Eric Weddle provides all that and more. Signing Weddle should not preculde Cowboys from drafting a safety either.

Alexander

Reaction score
Cowboys desperately need leadership and playmaking in the secondary, Eric Weddle provides all that and more. Signing Weddle should not preculde Cowboys from drafting a safety either.

It is pretty much a no brainer to me.

I realize he is an older veteran, but we need to get over our phobia of signing veterans.

We need veteran leadership in the secondary and have needed that for a very long time.

Alexander

Reaction score

Yes, but it makes a force pick less likely.

I think Weddle at FS plus whomever at strong would loosen things up.

But of course, we will go with Byron Jones at FS, ignore a quality addition like Weddle and draft corners. It is what we do.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The team last Tuesday informed Weddle he was being fined $10,000 for remaining on the field Sunday to watch his daughter perform during a dance ceremony at halftime of the game between the Chargers and Miami Dolphins.

Weddle was stunned. He was also furious.

But he declined to go public with the fine. Monday, however, in the wake of the team placing him on injured reserve against his wishes and telling him there is not room on the plane for him to go to the season finale in Denver, Weddle's agent tweeted about the fine.
Good Lord. What a PR nightmare. I've said all along he would look wearing a star.

cowboyuptx

Reaction score
I would like to have Weddle. I hear many say how overrated he is supposedly, but even if he is a bit overrated by some, he's still light years better than any Safety we've had since 28 retired. That said, I still think I would rather have the Dallas native Tashaun Gipson, and it sounds like there's a good chance he might not want to re-sign with Cleveland.

I also don't mind the idea of drafting FS/CB Jalen Ramsey with our first pick, but it would probably be smarter to snag a proven FS through free agency and use that top pick on a DT/LB/QB.

Rodney McLeod of the Rams and Rashad Johnson of the Cardinals will also be UFA's after the season. While not quite as enticing as Berry, Weddle, or Gipson, either Johnson or McLeod would still be a significant upgrade over Wilcox/Heath at FS.

I would also kick the tires on SS James Ihedigbo of the Lions, as I believe he is significantly better than Church.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score

But of course, we will go with Byron Jones at FS, ignore a quality addition like Weddle and draft corners. It is what we do.
They should just go with Byron at FS and Weddle at SS and draft a corner anyways. That would give the defense a ton of flexibility, and allow them to dump Churchy and save almost $2.5 mil against the cap.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score

I don't mind drafting another corner, but if Weddle is signed the NEED to draft one in the first round is negated. Even without Carr and/or Claiborne the Cowboys' CB corps of Jones, Scandrick, Mitchell, Olatoye and a draft pick or two (between 2nd and 7th preferably) is actually more physical, longer, faster and more explosive. Jones instincts as a FS are not organic, he seems to be much more comfortable in man coverage. He still needs a vet to mentor him.

And even with Weddle manning the middle, Cowboys still need an upgrade at SS, neither Church nor Wilcox are the answer.

Alexander

Reaction score
Weddle makes so much sense it is tragic. And I bet we don't even bother making a press for him.

He is extremely angry at the Chargers, so he might be leaning more to a division rival.

I still make a play.

Cebrin

Reaction score
Glad to see I'm not the only one wanting this. It would vastly improve our secondary.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
The Eric we need is Berry and not Weddle

Weddle is better than Church, but he is older and slower. He peaked in year 5. Berry is a great current player

Alexander

Reaction score
The Eric we need is Berry and not Weddle

Weddle is better than Church, but he is older and slower. He peaked in year 5. Berry is a great current player

Berry also is not disgruntled and is hardly going to be cheap to pry away from KC who supported him during his treatment and recovery process.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Weddle makes so much sense it is tragic. And I bet we don't even bother making a press for him.

He is extremely angry at the Chargers, so he might be leaning more to a division rival.

I still make a play.

I'm on board with you on Weddle too. And if it makes you feel a bit better, I remember reading about rumored interest before he signed his last deal to stay in San Diego so I think it's a player that they like.

I think he could help to stabilize an underachieving secondary for at least two years.