Week 1 Analysis

Manster68

Reaction score
Oh boy, here we go again. At least last year Dallas waited a week before the demons came out.

I was so geeked for this season. Yeah, the season only started, but some telltale signs came glaring out again.

The first telltale sign was, of course, Bledsoe. He was absolutely wretched. Had he been hot like Leftwich, Dallas would have had a 17-0 lead after the first quarter. Overthrowing Owens down the middle of the field turned the game around. That, and McBriar punting into the end zone. Once again, Dallas had their foot on the opponents throats only to let up and give them another chance. I really believe Dallas should have been up like 20-0 at the half.

Okay, so Bledsoe was wretched. The world has established that. If Bledsoe is on his game, then Dallas wins this one going away.

Offensive line? I am not going to be too critical here. Flozell obviously struggled. Against the best DT tandem in the NFL, the run-blocking struggled also. However, Gurode and Fasano made huge blocks on Jones’ TD run. Kosier had a few nice pulls as well. Regardless of the inconsistency, the big runs by Julius enabled Dallas to average 4.0 yards per carry. Unfortunately, Dallas didn’t get to run too many plays and only ran the ball 22 times.

What chapped my butt was every time Dallas had a 2nd and 1,2, or 3, the next play was a run into the line. IT GOT STUFFED EVERY TIME! Why didn’t they play-actioned on one or two of them? It would have kept them on their heels and help open up the run even more. The play-calling was too conservative once again.

I’ll say this….you can’t blame Owens on this one.

Defensively? I am not too critical.

Jacksonville’s TOP was 34:12. They had 10 more plays than the Cowboys did. Despite this, Dallas did hold them to 307 yards total offense and 2.4 yards per carry on the ground. Two of the three TD drives came on a short field due to the ineptness of Drew Bledsoe.

Also, Leftwich got hot once Dallas let Jacksonville steal momentum from them early in the 2nd quarter. Hey, Newman, Henry and Glenn had good tight coverage today and it was just a great pass and catch. Unfortunately that will happen from time to time. Newman’s breakup of a pass in the end zone was a thing of beauty.

Hey, the ineptness of Bledsoe got the defense worn down. That is the jist of it folks.

One thing that irritated me to no end was how Witten’s offensive pass interference was called; yet Reggie Williams’ pull-down on Henry was not. If you are going to call it, then call it both ways. That was BS!

Parcells blew it too when he threw out the challenge flag as the ball was being snapped. That on was on him. The challenge earlier in the game I thought had no chance of being reversed (Matt Jones on the sideline). I still think Dallas got away with one there.

Folks, I do think that there has to be a way to keep Suisham on the roster. Yes, the missed FG was quite bothersome; however I do love seeing the kickoffs sail deep into the end zone. That was nice. I do think Parcells didn’t trust his kicker enough to go for it on 4th down more than he may have liked.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Manster68 said:
I was so geeked for this season. Yeah, the season only started, but some telltale signs came glaring out again.

That. That right there, is why we have all the chicken littles out in full force. Do tell. How is it you deduced telltale signs, that are glaring, from one game?

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I too was upset to see Parcells call a run play everytime there was a 2nd and 1 or something like that. For goodness sake, you can't change it up every now and then?

Manster68

Reaction score
thats7 said:
That. That right there, is why we have all the chicken littles out in full force. Do tell. How is it you deduced telltale signs, that are glaring, from one game?

It goes back to Bledsoe's track record last year, the year before that, the year before that, etc., etc.

Seven

Reaction score
Manster68 said:
It goes back to Bledsoe's track record last year, the year before that, the year before that, etc., etc.

What track record? Losing game one of the regular season?

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
thats7 said:
What track record? Losing game one of the regular season?

You are kidding aren't you?

If that play yesterday didn't remind you of the Drew Bledsoe that NE and Buffalo gave up on then you obviously haven't been paying attention to Bledsoe the past 5 years or more.

Seven

Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:
You are kidding aren't you?

If that play yesterday didn't remind you of the Drew Bledsoe that NE and Buffalo gave up on then you obviously haven't been paying attention to Bledsoe the past 5 years or more.

Didn't use smileys.
I was of the impression Bledsoes biggest complaint was his choking in the big games. I ain't defending Bledsoe so don't bother going there. He sucked yesterday.........after the 1st quarter. You wanna talk about that or continue being an 80 year old ninny and nit pick a bad day? I'm assuming the pats on the back for the first two possessions are beyond some. The hate seeps from your comments in bold young man.