week before draft mock

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
the countdown begins

2nd round, #51: Vanderbilt CB DJ Moore

One of the most versatile players in the draft, once caught two TDs and intercepted a pass in a game against Kentucky, returns punts, runs the football, just does it all, great insticts and ability to bait QBs and jump routes, a physical player not afraid to mix it up, perfect candidate for the "star" position, or could be the nickel CB if Scandrick takes up that role

3rd round (from Cleveland), #69: Penn State WR Derrick Williams

Another very versatile player, Williams is as smooth as it gets as an athlete, runs very similar to Felix Jones in fact, being able to turn and run without throttling down to surprise the defender, incredible gadget/Wildcat player, also an established locker room leader

May never be a #1 threat, but that's why Roy Williams is here, and the deep speed belongs to Miles Austin, Derek Williams will be our answer to DeSean Jackson and Santana Moss, a pesky jitterbug who will contribute everywhere

4th round (from Detroit), #101: Eastern Michigan OL TJ Lang

Versatile mauler capable of starting at 3 interior line positions, started at both OT positions at EMU, great strength to stand up his man, and the leg drive to move him away from the pocket, hustles and possesses good feet

4th round, #117: Marshall FS CJ Spillman

Tempted to take David Veikune here, but Spillman is the interchangeable safety that could play either free or strong safety in our system, has the speed to roam centerfield, and the size, backpedal and recovery speed to hold up in man-coverage, a big hitter who knows how to force fumbles, also serves as gunner on special teams

5th round, #156: Abilene Christian WR Johnny Knox

Well-built WR with the speed, initial quickness, height and explosion to challenge teams deep, high-points the ball and is a natural hands catcher, does a good job of sinking his hips when running routes

5th round (from Tennessee), #166: Texas A&M DE Michael Bennett

Tall, athletic DE in the mode of Greg Ellis, strong at the point of attack with long arms to hold up against the run, good bull-rush and initial/closing quickness

5th round (Compensatory), #172: Memphis DT Clinton McDonald

Tenacious defender whose motor never quits, good functional and weight room strength

6th round (from Miami), #197: Michigan DT Terrence Taylor

Classic plugger with tremendous strength (37 reps), plays with good leverage and can occupy double-blockers

6th round (Compensatory), #208: Central Florida CB Joe Burnett

Smooth corner with tremendous instincts and good aggressivness, but his greatest contribution will probably come as a returner, one of the Nation's top punt returners who possess good balance, vision and patience

7th round (from Detroit), #210: Oregon LB Nick Reed

7th round, #227: Grand Valley State OLB Dan Skuta

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Should have taken Veikune. :p

And no ILB? Gotta have an ILB, or two. Skuta may be able to transition inside, but only to backup James' spot.

dmoore

Reaction score
It's not your best work. While it's not that I dislike the players you've chosen, I just don't think the draft as a whole is the way we should go. I'd like to go ILB and OLB earlier, and save CB for the middle or late rounds. I think we could find depth at CB later since I don't think the value will be there for them at 51. I would be happy it we landed both D. Williams and Knox though.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
dmoore;2731086 said:
It's not your best work. While it's not that I dislike the players you've chosen, I just don't think the draft as a whole is the way we should go. I'd like to go ILB and OLB earlier, and save CB for the middle or late rounds. I think we could find depth at CB later since I don't think the value will be there for them at 51. I would be happy it we landed both D. Williams and Knox though.

the value for ILB and OLB just isn't there at the top of the draft

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2731572 said:
nope not your best work jerry;

moore is too slow for cb to me 4.53
joe burnett is slow too 4.57 too slow for punt returner to me

i do like OT Lang, Knox Wr and OLB Skuta
on NT Taylor is decent, but real short at NT, just alittle over 6-0
and you have the cowboys picking 2 DTs back to back

im not picking, just think some of your other mock drafts were better