CFZ Welcome to the 17 game NFL season

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Three games are never enough to judge an NFL team’s future. I’ve always said it takes until at least mid-October to judge a team.

Look, today was an absolutely terrible and lackluster showing by the Cowboys. No defending any of it. The penalties, the blown defensive assignments, the lack of intensity, the lack of red zone success…there’s plenty to point at in this putrid performance.

But by the same token- deciding we were Super Bowl bound and “worthy of respect” after 2 whole regular season games is every bit as silly as deciding this team sucks based on one bad game.

Here’s my point: It’s too early in the season to declare much about any team yet. Why?
Since so many teams don’t play their starters much or at all in the preseason, the early part of the 17 game NFL season is a real roller coaster ride. Even coaches are still trying to figure out what is working and what isn’t and what player combinations are best in various situations.

Here are some interesting tidbits about the first 3 weeks of the NFL season:
  • The chiefs didn’t look that great the first two weeks but did today. The first two weeks they averaged 18 pts a game. Today they scored 41. Which version is the real one? Obviously all their problems the first two weeks have been solved? Obviously the chiefs are great. But they didn’t start that way.
  • The dolphins hung 70 on the broncos today. Is that an outlier or is Miami suddenly all world? Miami will never be stopped by anyone all season, right?
  • The hapless Houston Texans destroyed the defending AFC South champs the Jaguars in Jacksonville 37-19. CJ Stroud looked great and Trevor Lawrence didn’t. I’m sure everyone saw that coming. Are we all picking the Texans to win the division now?
  • The colts upset the unbeaten Ravens in Balt behind the great Garner Minschew who threw for more yards than Lamar Jackson. I’m sure everyone would rather have Minschew than Jackson now? Are the ravens terrible or are the colts great?
  • The eagles are 2-0 going into Tampa tomorrow night and we all know the Bucs have no chance right?
Welcome to the 17 game NFL season folks. This is not the time to make conclusions. In other words- It takes way more 3 games to know what kind of team you have. This is a marathon not a sprint. Champions are never crowned in September.

Btw- The Cowboys play again next week. Another week- another opponent. Another opportunity to improve and build or show us they need more work than many thought..

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
Wish I had your optimism Bob. Must be nice to see a world of the Cowboys from a glass half full perspective. Alas, all of this will come crashing down by, you say Mid-October? We’ll know a lot more about this team by then. And considering our tough bit of schedule until that point, well— let’s just say the team won’t be looking so hot.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Agree. Each week is its own chapter really. Each 1 different than the last, but by mid October, the story starts to clarify itself.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wish I had your optimism Bob. Must be nice to see a world of the Cowboys from a glass half full perspective. Alas, all of this will come crashing down by, you say Mid-October? We’ll know a lot more about this team by then. And considering our tough bit of schedule until that point, well— let’s just say the team won’t be looking so hot.
Honestly this isn’t optimism. It’s just true. We’ve played 3 games. We were awful today. Putrid. Does that mean we will play that way every week? Not any more likely than we will beat up some team 40-0 and think we‘ve arrived.

All I’m saying is it’s waaaaay too early to declare this team done or this season over. That’s not optimism it’s just the truth. We have 14 more games left.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Three games are never enough to judge an NFL team’s future. I’ve always said it takes until at least mid-October to judge a team.

Look, today was an absolutely terrible and lackluster showing by the Cowboys. No defending any of it. The penalties, the blown defensive assignments, the lack of intensity, the lack of red zone success…there’s plenty to point at in this putrid performance.

But by the same token- deciding we were Super Bowl bound and “worthy of respect” after 2 whole regular season games is every bit as silly as deciding this team sucks based on one bad game.

Here’s my point: It’s too early in the season to declare much about any team yet. Why?
Since so many teams don’t play their starters much or at all in the preseason, the early part of the 17 game NFL season is a real roller coaster ride. Even coaches are still trying to figure out what is working and what isn’t and what player combinations are best in various situations.

• The chiefs didn’t look that great the first two weeks but did today. The first two weeks they averaged 18 pts a game. Today they scored 41. Which version is the real one? Obviously all their problems the first two weeks have been solved? Obviously the chiefs are great. But they didn’t start that way.
  • The dolphins hung 70 on the broncos today. Is that an outlier or is Miami suddenly all world? Miami will never be stopped by anyone all season, right?
  • The hapless Houston Texans destroyed the defending AFC South champs the Jaguars in Jacksonville 37-19. CJ Stroud looked great and Trevor Lawrence didn’t. I’m sure everyone saw that coming. Are we all picking the Texans to win the division now?
  • The colts upset the unbeaten Ravens in Balt behind the great Garner Minschew who threw for more yards than Lamar Jackson. I’m sure everyone would rather have Minschew than Jackson now? Are the ravens terrible or are the colts great?
  • The eagles are 2-0 going into Tampa tomorrow night and we all know the Bucs have no chance right?
Welcome to the 17 game NFL season folks. This is not the time to make conclusions. In other words- It takes way more 3 games to know what kind of team you have. This is a marathon not a sprint. Champions are never crowned in September.

Btw- The Cowboys play again next week. Another week- another opponent. Another opportunity to improve and build or show us they need more work than many thought..
Last year the Chiefs lost to the Colts in the first month of the season. It happens.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Oh here we with me injuries dont count guy. Didnt you learn anything today?

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dallas never plays well in Arizona. Maybe there is an ancient Indian burial ground there that curses Cowboys? :muttley:

All teams lay an egg at some point but there are some concerning issues here. OL health, linebackers and the redzone offense are the most glaring. I don’t expect to know more after NE and SF but October will tell the tale on their 2023 future.

Praxit

Reaction score

..I bet Zeke fumbles against us.

snadler

Reaction score
It’s funny, i’ve been reading the same exact post and comment for the past 30 years and guess what? They still haven’t made it past the divisional round

Praxit

Reaction score
It’s funny, i’ve been reading the same exact post and comment for the past 30 years and guess what? They still haven’t made it past the divisional round
They said the same thing about the Kansas City Chiefs. And then it started winning super bowls.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Trust me, I’m not ever going to defend the lack of results for the last 3 decades or the guy who’s been in charge of it all for the 7 head coaches that have worked under him since Jimmy left.

Our fans have every right to be tired of this. I’m just saying we have 14 games left. It’s not over this season.

snadler

Reaction score
Trust me, I’m not ever going to defend the lack of results for the last 3 decades or the guy who’s been in charge of it all for the 7 head coaches that have worked under him since Jimmy left.

Our fans have every right to be tired of this. I’m just saying we have 14 games left. It’s not over this season.
And my point is, for 30 plus years including today the track record says whether it was today or the playoffs, they will find away to play like today, flat, undisciplined and poorly coached..nothing is going to change and today’s embarrassment just reinforces what we already know..this year is no different

InDakEyeBack

Reaction score
Too much crowning coaches after 1-2 games. There was a thread about giving Big Mike an extension already, and media and Cowboyszone have been fawning over Dan Quinn. I know Diggs injury hurts but still the defense was awful.

InDakEyeBack

Reaction score
They said the same thing about the Kansas City Chiefs. And then it started winning super bowls.
Are you trolling? They had Alex Smith who was basically Dak Prescott. He could get you to the playoffs but no further, they drafted Mahomes and haven't missed the AFC championship game since he became starter.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And my point is, for 30 plus years including today the track record says whether it was today or the playoffs, they will find away to play like today, flat, undisciplined and poorly coached..nothing is going to change and today’s embarrassment just reinforces what we already know..this year is no different
Well I totally understand why you feel that way. Certainly understandable given this owner/GM’s history. I just try to take every year as a new chance. There’s 14 more of these. I’m willing to see what these guys are made of.

Each team is different each year. About 30% of this year’s roster wasn’t here last year. Just saying that I want to see what these guys are made of before saying they’re just like all the others. I do understand how you feel though!

snadler

Reaction score
Well I totally understand why you feel that way. Certainly understandable given this owner/GM’s history. I just try to take every year as a new chance. There’s 14 more of these. I’m willing to see what these guys are made of.

Each team is different each year. About 30% of this year’s roster wasn’t here last year. Just saying that I want to see what these guys are made of before saying they’re just like all the others. I do understand how you feel though!
We all want this year to be different and today would have gone a long way to make you change your mind, instead it just reinforced the same garbage we’ve seen for 30 years.