Well I'm already getting butterflies for Sunday

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
I don't know what it is. Happens every year. The hopes are high, big optimism.

We've had quite a few disappoinments after the last few years, being teased but never suceeding in playoffs, despite at time looking like a very good team.

Will this year be different?

A few things perhaps not talked about so much......

1st time since Parcells has been here we have same QB in system in his 2nd year. That has to help.

It's also the 2nd year where we are officially in the 3-4 defense.

The great draft of 2 years ago is finally healthy (Spears, Canty, Burnett) and enters with a second offseason and a year of NFL experience.

The depth is more talented and experience at most positions (save NT maybe).

The division is tough, but I like the prospects this year. I think it is a more realistic expectation.

By the way Jerry Jones said on Hitzges show today that he thinks in his heart of hearts that Parcells will coach the Cowboys beyond this year, especially if they have "success".

One thing I do wonder is does the gameplan remain conservative and do we play that "lets play not to lose" style again. Or, now that the talent is better and the team seems in a better position to dictate the game, do we take it to teams and make them react to Cowboys.

LarryCanadian

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! are you ready for some FOOOOOTTTTBBBAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Nice post, Larry.

And prepare for the longest day of the year - tomorrow.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
LarryCanadian said:
One thing I do wonder is does the gameplan remain conservative and do we play that "lets play not to lose" style again. Or, now that the talent is better and the team seems in a better position to dictate the game, do we take it to teams and make them react to Cowboys.

LarryCanadian
I hope not. I would think that Parcells understands that he has weapons, and I mean true weapons on this offense and defense.

He has his left tackle in place, and a much better player than he had last year at RT. He should let-er-rip.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Clove said:
I hope not. I would think that Parcells understands that he has weapons, and I mean true weapons on this offense and defense.

He has his left tackle in place, and a much better player than he had last year at RT. He should let-er-rip.

I hope he does "let-er-rip"...

He a good coach, but, I really don't like his style of

1st down - run up the middle - lose 2 yards
2nd - run to the middle - gain 3 yards
3rd - screen to the right - gain 3 yards
punt

I liked the way the 1st Eagle game went last year! Attack, kill, destroy!
Then take names...!

:star:

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
I really hope they open up the offense, chucking the rock everywhere. Pass to setup the run.

Looking at last years stats, one stood out to me. We were #2 in the league in time of possession. Yet, we were middle the road in points. With an even more dominant defense, our added firepower on offense could sharply increase our points.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Deep_Freeze said:
I really hope they open up the offense, chucking the rock everywhere. Pass to setup the run.

Looking at last years stats, one stood out to me. We were #2 in the league in time of possession. Yet, we were middle the road in points. With an even more dominant defense, our added firepower on offense could sharply increase our points.
If Petitti was covering your right side, you'd pull in the ropes as well.

And BP knew this. I think he can afford to get a little more cute now that he has a good Tackle to his right. Columbo is not all world, but he's solid, and that is all we would've needed to get us into the playoffs last year.

I don't have the play by play stats in front of me, but if anyone knows how the play calling this pre-season went, please help us out here. But from pure memory, BP was pretty aggressive.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
I'm completely clueless as to what we have with this team. I don't know what to expect. Don't know what i'll see on Sunday.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Nice post, Larry.

And prepare for the longest day of the year - tomorrow.

Nah, not if you are also a College football fan. I am looking forward to both ND/Penn game and also Ohio/Texas game. It going to be a pretty good weekend for Football fan.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Clove said:
If Petitti was covering your right side, you'd pull in the ropes as well.

And BP knew this. I think he can afford to get a little more cute now that he has a good Tackle to his right. Columbo is not all world, but he's solid, and that is all we would've needed to get us into the playoffs last year.

I don't have the play by play stats in front of me, but if anyone knows how the play calling this pre-season went, please help us out here. But from pure memory, BP was pretty aggressive.

I agree with that. Just kinda suprised me when I saw it. But dude, I really want to see them air it out this year, really it is by far our best option, especially in the beginning of games. Pass to get ahead, Run to stay ahead.

I believe this is a team that will have problems running in the first quarter, unless they set it up with the pass. As the game progresses, maybe we can get in the lead with the pass, and the defense gets tired, then we can start running it down their throats later in the game against a tired D.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Deep_Freeze said:
I agree with that. Just kinda suprised me when I saw it. But dude, I really want to see them air it out this year, really it is by far our best option, especially in the beginning of games. Pass to get ahead, Run to stay ahead.

I believe this is a team that will have problems running in the first quarter, unless they set it up with the pass. As the game progresses, maybe we can get in the lead with the pass, and the defense gets tired, then we can start running it down their throats later in the game against a tired D.

That is the kind of football that I like!

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
5Stars said:
That is the kind of football that I like!

Yeah, kind of like what we had when Aikman/Irvin/Emmit in their prime. The reason Aikman didn't have stats that some bufoons complain about him being a hall of famer.

Personally I too liked that style. Pound them to death, after some aerial bombardment.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
RCowboyFan said:
Yeah, kind of like what we had when Aikman/Irvin/Emmit in their prime. The reason Aikman didn't have stats that some bufoons complain about him being a hall of famer.

Personally I too liked that style. Pound them to death, after some aerial bombardment.

Jimma would attack! He took those kind of risks...some paid off, some didn't...and some got us three SuperBowls (if you count Gunslingers SB).

Parcells likes to say that he don't like a teams offense to dictate what his defense does...well? Then make your offense dictate what their defense does!!

Stop us...if you can...show us that you can stop us!! If not, then you are in big trouble!

The Tuna likes to play it close to the vest with defense and clock management...which I guess works, sometimes, he has 2 SuperBowls to his credit...but...I like the "take it to the opponent" and make him beat you with their defense...let's see what you got!!

Maybe Parcells is a "rope-a-dope" kind of coach? (ahhh, Muhammad Ali)...

;) :star:

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:

Actually, this is exactly what I was thinking about as I was typing that post, lol. I believe its the best way for us to win with this group, and it just so happens it is how our triplets won.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
5Stars said:
Jimma would attack! He took those kind of risks...some paid off, some didn't...and some got us three SuperBowls (if you count Gunslingers SB).

Parcells likes to say that he don't like a teams offense to dictate what his defense does...well? Then make your offense dictate what their defense does!!

Stop us...if you can...show us that you can stop us!! If not, then you are in big trouble!

The Tuna likes to play it close to the vest with defense and clock management...which I guess works, sometimes, he has 2 SuperBowls to his credit...but...I like the "take it to the opponent" and make him beat you with their defense...let's see what you got!!

Maybe Parcells is a "rope-a-dope" kind of coach? (ahhh, Muhammad Ali)...

;) :star:

True, although I don't think BP is calling all the plays, so hopefully we can air it out. Is this clear, maybe I missed it, who will be calling the plays?

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Deep_Freeze said:
True, although I don't think BP is calling all the plays, so hopefully we can air it out. Is this clear, maybe I missed it, who will be calling the plays?

I think it will be T.O. :D

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
5Stars said:
I think it will be T.O. :D

:laugh2:

I remember reading somewhere that Terry Glenn said that TO won't be able to get mad at Bledsoe for not getting the ball thrown to him. Glenn said that he should be mad at Bill. I don't think Bill is micromanaging to the point of who is getting the ball, but maybe the plays he selects are better for other players.

Still, Glenn saying that confuses me, is Bill really in control of the offense that much.....

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
LarryCanadian said:
I don't know what it is. Happens every year. The hopes are high, big optimism.

We've had quite a few disappoinments after the last few years, being teased but never suceeding in playoffs, despite at time looking like a very good team.

Will this year be different?

A few things perhaps not talked about so much......

1st time since Parcells has been here we have same QB in system in his 2nd year. That has to help.

It's also the 2nd year where we are officially in the 3-4 defense.

The great draft of 2 years ago is finally healthy (Spears, Canty, Burnett) and enters with a second offseason and a year of NFL experience.

The depth is more talented and experience at most positions (save NT maybe).

The division is tough, but I like the prospects this year. I think it is a more realistic expectation.

By the way Jerry Jones said on Hitzges show today that he thinks in his heart of hearts that Parcells will coach the Cowboys beyond this year, especially if they have "success".

LarryCanadian

Excellent post Sir.

I've been experiencing those same butterflies, and probably the same ones, for years. My old gut has been in knots since the last preseason game against the Vikes. Believe me when I say "Those pesky bugs get even worse" when I feel the team has a better than average chance to be successfull in a given season.

It would be nice to see the Cowboys dictate the flow of the game this season. Open it up on O as we did in our first meeting against Philly last year..Oh what a glorious day of football that was.

On D lets not let one opposing QB get comfortable in the pocket....pressure him every passing down.

Please Oh please lets play to win not lose.