Well well well. Mayer still available

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I felt all along he looked like a 2nd round prospect. The lack of athleticism was a major red flag.

Glad to see he’s still available..

The cherry on top would be if the NFL take Laporta over him who probably has more upside.

So glad we passed on him. Even for a 2 down run stuffer that was a waste of a 1st rounder.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Meh.. it's all good. Teams know they have another option, so teams are going for players where the starting talent is scarce. The high floor guys are going higher than the high ceiling guys, it seems, which makes sense.

I personally like this pick. To be honest, I like Mazi Smith better than Jordan Davis, and even Jalen Carter. Carter has more natural talent, but Mazi is a better NFL prospect.

I suspect Mayer will go in the next few rounds. He's a good player. Draft position usually doesn't have to mean that much.. it's all hunch-based.

I wanted a RB, or a TE, and all the great RBs are gone, but there are still some really good backs. And I would just sit back and take the best players.

This guy has round one physical traits, so it's not a bad pick to give to Quinn to work with.

Flamma

Reaction score
As I thought, We weren't picking WR, CB, or TE. I wasn't alone. The clues were all there. However, TE was a possibility, and the Bills also thought so. You can kind of tell by what the Cowboys do in the off season as to whether or not they pick certain positions.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
As I thought, We weren't picking WR, CB, or TE. I wasn't alone. The clues were all there. However, TE was a possibility, and the Bills also thought so. You can kind of tell by what the Cowboys do in the off season as to whether or not they pick certain positions.
I do wonder if we take Kincaid…

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Witten wasn’t a first round pick. I don’t believe Kelce was either. There are exceptions but the best tight ends usually aren’t drafted in the first round.
Most of the leagues best TEs aren’t 1st rounders.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
What makes you think that?

You’re probably right just wondering.

I guess Buffalo thought that.
Just the tea leaves…they were over selling the fact they wanted a traditional inline TE to the media. I said in an earlier thread before the draft that I’m not big on “oh, it’s a smokescreen…” but it made no sense to draft a guy like Mayer high when you effectively have the same guy in Ferguson. Then, Buffalo trading up to grab Kincaid in front of us, and then at 26, we had the chance to take Mayer off the board but passed on him.

I think the interest in LaPorta is real.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Just the tea leaves…they were over selling the fact they wanted a traditional inline TE to the media. I said in an earlier thread before the draft that I’m not big on “oh, it’s a smokescreen…” but it made no sense to draft a guy like Mayer high when you effectively have the same guy in Ferguson. Then, Buffalo trading up to grab Kincaid in front of us, and then at 26, we had the chance to take Mayer off the board but passed on him.
Cowboys may have Laporta ranked ahead of Mayer. Broaddus kinda said something along those lines.

It doesn’t surprise at all either.

CherBoyWade

Reaction score
I’ll eat my crow. Didn’t think there was any way he’d fall out of the 1st based on those late mocks. Even more shocked by Joey Porter. Will Levis is whatever because only so many teams can take a QB 1st round but I didn’t even think he’d have a chance of falling to us.

Truth be told when we were on the clock I wanted Porter or Smith even though I’ve been banging the Mayer drum for weeks. Shocked they fell so far.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Cowboys may have Laporta ranked ahead of Mayer. Broaddus kinda said something along those lines.

It doesn’t surprise at all either.
LaPorta

6’-3”
245 lbs
4.59 forty
1.59 10-yard split
35” vertical
6.91 3-cone

They aren’t looking for a Witten/Schultz tight end. They have that already in Ferguson. They want a receiving weapon.

visionary

Reaction score
Meh.. it's all good. Teams know they have another option, so teams are going for players where the starting talent is scarce. The high floor guys are going higher than the high ceiling guys, it seems, which makes sense.

I personally like this pick. To be honest, I like Mazi Smith better than Jordan Davis, and even Jalen Carter. Carter has more natural talent, but Mazi is a better NFL prospect.

I suspect Mayer will go in the next few rounds. He's a good player. Draft position usually doesn't have to mean that much.. it's all hunch-based.

I wanted a RB, or a TE, and all the great RBs are gone, but there are still some really good backs. And I would just sit back and take the best players.

This guy has round one physical traits, so it's not a bad pick to give to Quinn to work with.
I predict Mazi will a better career than Davis or Carter