Wentz contract put Cowboys in precarious situation

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Only 107 Mil is Guaranteed. A contract can say anything but it's what the team actually guarantees you get paid. Not what the contract actually says. That is what Players and Agents pay attention to. We've already discussed this in this thread and many others.

He is guaranteed to get paid 107 mil, not 128 or 132 or whatever.
Yes obviously. So?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Yes obviously. So?

If it's so Obvious, why do you insist on making a point of it that he is getting 32 per. He is not getting 32 per guaranteed. He is getting 26 and change over 4 years and 25 plus over 6. That is not debatable. Thats what he's guaranteed to make. The other is only if he meets whatever criteria is that the the team sets for him. It is not, in any way, shape or form, 32 per year.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
If it's so Obvious, why do you insist on making a point of it that he is getting 32 per. He is not getting 32 per guaranteed. He is getting 26 and change over 4 years and 25 plus over 6. That is not debatable. Thats what he's guaranteed to make. The other is only if he meets whatever criteria is that the the team sets for him. It is not, in any way, shape or form, 32 per year.
Yes we are all aware that NFL contracts are not fully guaranteed. We are also all aware that when we say he got 32 per that that is the aav.

None of this is relevant information for the discussion at hand.

It is appropriate to talk about his new money average. These are professional agents doing the deals. If you tell me how many years and the per year average I bet I could tell you the guaranteed money pretty closely.

It's not like Dak would sign for 32M per and take only 50MM gtd.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Yes we are all aware that NFL contracts are not fully guaranteed. We are also all aware that when we say he got 32 per that that is the aav.

None of this is relevant information for the discussion at hand.

It is appropriate to talk about his new money average. These are professional agents doing the deals. If you tell me how many years and the per year average I bet I could tell you the guaranteed money pretty closely.

It's not like Dak would sign for 32M per and take only 50MM gtd.

We are? Clearly, I am not because I don't agree with that. As for what Dak would sign, you are right because he's never going to get 32M as an option IMO.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

Just me but I think what they're saying is a young elite QB, unlike other positions, will UNLIKELY be released, cut or trade =d before the life of his contract expires. Therefore, he will more than likely get paid the entire amount of his deal, not just the guaranteed portion. Unlike any other position with exception of maybe OL, teams expect/hope they will have the same starting QB a min 8-10 years. In fact, as you know, it's unusual for QB to sign as many as three contracts with the same team.

NotForLong

Reaction score
Without the Cowboys win/loss record Aikman wouldn’t be in the Hall of Fame - not even close. I’m not saying Dak is as good as Aikman, but winning is the goal, and it does matter.
I am not sure what you are trying to convey here . . . Bit Aikman would tear it up in any Era or any Offense . . . You all trying to recreate History . . . Aikman is a legend at the QB position. . .you all need to stop

Dak Ran off Romo . . . Then Dez. . . . Now you all wanna tear down a Legend because the Cowboys have had Success in spite of him

Last edited:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Just me but I think what they're saying is a young elite QB, unlike other positions, will UNLIKELY be released, cut or trade =d before the life of his contract expires. Therefore, he will more than likely get paid the entire amount of his deal, not just the guaranteed portion. Unlike any other position with exception of maybe OL, teams expect/hope they will have the same starting QB a min 8-10 years. In fact, as you know, it's unusual for QB to sign as many as three contracts with the same team.

Perhaps, but it's just as likely that he gets injured and never sees the end and is out before he makes anything other then the guaranteed portion. That door swings both ways and I think this is absolutely the more plausible scenario.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Perhaps, but it's just as likely that he gets injured and never sees the end and is out before he makes anything other then the guaranteed portion. That door swings both ways and I think this is absolutely the more plausible scenario.

Huh????? Are you serious? Dak has never missed a game. To say you have in factor injury risk in his contract value is odd. More times than not I respect your posts but this is a head scratcher.....

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am not sure what you are trying to convey here . . . Bit Aikman would tear it up in any Era or any Offense . . . You all trying to recreate History . . . Aikman is a legend at the QB position. . .you all need to stop

Dak Ran off Romo . . . Then Dez. . . . Now you all wanna tear down a Legend because the Cowboys have had Success in spite of him

You weren’t paying attention if you think I’m trying to tear Aikman down. The point I was making is you can’t completely judge a QB by stats ... that he is the leader and the decision maker on the field, and therefore winning does matter in how a QB is and should be judged.

And Dak did not run off Romo. That’s goofy. Dak simply stepped in and played football when Romo got injured and the Cowboys made a choice after that.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
You weren’t paying attention if you think I’m trying to tear Aikman down. The point I was making is you can’t completely judge a QB by stats ... that he is the leader and the decision maker on the field, and therefore winning does matter in how a QB is and should be judged.

And Dak did not run off Romo. That’s goofy. Dak simply stepped in and played football when Romo got injured and the Cowboys made a choice after that.
I agree it's not about stats. But if I were to be forced to, I would look at how they preformed in "win or go home" games.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

He said without team wins, he wouldn't be in the HOF. How would anyone argue that?

"Ran off?" Lmao, if you or anyone actually believe this it may give a glimpse of an explanation of your hatred.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Huh????? Are you serious? Dak has never missed a game. To say you have in factor injury risk in his contract value is odd. More times than not I respect your posts but this is a head scratcher.....

Not really. You previously responded to a post about Wentz. In your response, you did not identify the fact that you had changed the topic to Prescott. I responded with the intent that your post was about the subject of Wentz and his contract. If you reread it, I think you will see that the post your referenced, was about Wentz, not Prescott. Naturally, I assumed that you were holding topic with your response as well.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree it's not about stats. But if I were to be forced to, I would look at how they preformed in "win or go home" games.
I would call that fair to factor in. Time will tell how that goes with Dak.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Not really. You previously responded to a post about Wentz. In your response, you did not identify the fact that you had changed the topic to Prescott. I responded with the intent that your post was about the subject of Wentz and his contract. If you reread it, I think you will see that the post your referenced, was about Wentz, not Prescott. Naturally, I assumed that you were holding topic with your response as well.

:thumbup:

NotForLong

Reaction score
He said without team wins, he wouldn't be in the HOF. How would anyone argue that?

"Ran off?" Lmao, if you or anyone actually believe this it may give a glimpse of an explanation of your hatred.

I am Confused . . . Are you Implying Aikman is "ONLY" in the Hall of Fame because of Team "Wins"

And That it is so Obvious that It Can't even be argued.

And WHY ARE WE ARGUING AIKMAN'S LEGACY . . .

There is no other QB of the 90's I wanted on My team

Farve was too Erratic
Young played in a Gimic offense
Marino was a stud but relied on himself too much

Moon and Cunningham were strong and Talented but Not as Clutch and determined to win like Aikman

Maybe I would take Elway and Kelly but being a Cowboy Fan . . . I always loved the Fire in Aikmans eye . . . I never seen that Killer look in any other Qbs eye . . . Maybe in the eyes of a defender like Singeltary.

In the Last Era of the True QB Generals . . . when Grit Toughness and Determination were nesecary attributes . . . Aikman stood out . . . Not BECAUSE OF "WINS" . . . Because he was a Boss

Do you think he couldn't have put up Gaudy Numbers then you are fooling Yourself . . . He Consciously chose not to in Order to Win . . .

When Aikman was born they broke the mould

I can't even believe I am Arguing the Legacy of a QB god . . . with people who Claim Dak is the legend . . . Boogles the Mind

But Whose the Fool?. . . The Fool or the one who argues with them

NotForLong

Reaction score

In no way am I implying Dan went into Jerrys office and demanded Romo be released . . . I am saying all of America drank the Kool Aid in 2016 . . . They all lost their minds and came to the "Idiotic" Conclussion that Romo not Playing again that Season nor even given a shot to compete the next year . . .

Whose Decision was it Ultimately . . . I can't tell you for sure but I know of 3 clowns that run this team . . .

I'll put it this way . . . If it was 2016 and you were playing someone for $10000 in Madden . . . Would you play Dak and keep Romo on the bench

Was I frustrated by that decision of the Cowboys Brass yes . . . do I hold a grudge against Dak of course not. . I am still waiting for Dak to develop but don't see it happening

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In no way am I implying Dan went into Jerrys office and demanded Romo be released . . . I am saying all of America drank the Kool Aid in 2016 . . . They all lost their minds and came to the "Idiotic" Conclussion that Romo not Playing again that Season nor even given a shot to compete the next year . . .

Whose Decision was it Ultimately . . . I can't tell you for sure but I know of 3 clowns that run this team . . .

I'll put it this way . . . If it was 2016 and you were playing someone for $10000 in Madden . . . Would you play Dak and keep Romo on the bench

Was I frustrated by that decision of the Cowboys Brass yes . . . do I hold a grudge against Dak of course not. . I am still waiting for Dak to develop but don't see it happening
I understand and appreciate you thinking Romo should have been given his job back, but the man had been injured most of 2 full years, and had gotten injured and missed significant time 3 of the last 5 times he had played, and in the meantime the team was excelling in his absence. It’s still up in the air whether Dak will truly become the QB we need, but the decision at the time just wasn’t as far fetched as some want to make it seem.