West Coast Offense?

kskboys

Reaction score
They have been but I suspect that the reason for that is driven more by Dak's accuracy on those routes. They are some of the easiest and most effective routes you can throw if run properly and thrown properly, yet as you say, we hardly ever used them.

We will see what happens I suppose.
I don't think so. I think it was simply the type of O we were running, more of a downfield attacking mode utilizing comebacks and such.

Thing is, that suited Romo to a T, as he was weak on the slants and crosses. And when Prescott came in, we simply didn't change the O to suit him. Which is stupid.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I don't think so. I think it was simply the type of O we were running, more of a downfield attacking mode utilizing comebacks and such.

Thing is, that suited Romo to a T, as he was weak on the slants and crosses. And when Prescott came in, we simply didn't change the O to suit him. Which is stupid.

I don't know if I buy that or not ksk. I mean, I can actually see that in the first year or two but 4 years in, if that was something he could throw, I think they would have used those types of routes and incorporated them into the Offense more. I just don't think Dak throws them very well. He has real issues leading receivers on those types of routes. No idea why because he throws on the run pretty well, even more accurately IMO, but in designed drops on short to intermediate crossing routes, he just seems to have issues leading accurately. Sometimes he can do it, sometimes he just can't. It's really weird.

We'll see if the new Coaching Staff improves this area of his game or not. I hope he can improve there because that's huge if he can. It opens everything else up for him.

kskboys

Reaction score
I don't know if I buy that or not ksk. I mean, I can actually see that in the first year or two but 4 years in, if that was something he could throw, I think they would have used those types of routes and incorporated them into the Offense more. I just don't think Dak throws them very well. He has real issues leading receivers on those types of routes. No idea why because he throws on the run pretty well, even more accurately IMO, but in designed drops on short to intermediate crossing routes, he just seems to have issues leading accurately. Sometimes he can do it, sometimes he just can't. It's really weird.

We'll see if the new Coaching Staff improves this area of his game or not. I hope he can improve there because that's huge if he can. It opens everything else up for him.
We don't know yet, but I truly believe the scheme was the problem. I think Dak is made to run a ball moving type O.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
We don't know yet, but I truly believe the scheme was the problem. I think Dak is made to run a ball moving type O.

Yeah, I think this is right. We don't know for sure yet but we will after this hire of McCarty.

JMO

quickccc

Reaction score
I tend to wonder if some here are getting excited about the WCO simply because it’s a trend, simply because it seems like everyone else is running it .. so we should be too.
Ironically that plays into us wanting to mimic what another NFL or so is doing. (ala Wildcat, spread offense, RPO's ,etc.)

But this is more of us hiring a HC that originated from the WCO system tree and we thought he was the most qualified HC available
If Dak has to go through a different working and schooling in throwing mechanics and read progressions, then it is gonna be another learn and growing session with him
but he already has shown me that he is very coachable and work driven enough to adapt.

He’s been in this Rhythm time based offense that we have had here for so long. Yes, you do worry about the past accuracy and throwing mechanic issues, and
you’ll be having a guy learning a new passing system and it is likely to be different variations. But you also observed how Dak showed the significant improvement and coachability to exceed.

- The look of the offense will likely look different, as WCO has been defined as a horizontal ball control passing game. But I also think it depends upon the coaching and the QB running that WCO.

– Andy Reid is WCO .. but because of Mahomes absolute gun-slinger mentality and style of play, the Chiefs offense doesn’t dare even look anything like a “ ball control ‘ pass game.
In fact they are ALWAYS pushing the ball downfield. That’s their motto under Mahomes.

- Kyle Shanahan- Niners also runs a WCO – but it contributes and involves a lot more run game emphasis than Reid, it tends to have pre-snap motion and gives jet-set looks, reverses, formations
and it may involve a bit more RB passes than Reid.
But the better WCO offenses just tend to be efficient at getting in the RB in the pass game.
Something our coaches have been ranging from decent to sporadic in implementing RBs in pass game. That is gonna likely change under McCarthy.

quickccc

Reaction score
West Coast is schematically superior to anything we were doing before and is also similar to the brain dead offense that Reid/Nagy/Pederson runs.

Prepare for all throws to be behind the line of scrimmage and for Dak to pad stats with a 1 yard pass that gets taken to the house for 80. I love this offense and it is very QB friendly.

i'd still think it's impervious to get that elite TE that impacts the entire field and can be counted on in all areas whether blanket security, deep middle seams and Isolation mismatch coverage.

- Reid's WCO has Travis Kelce
- Pederson's WCO has Ertz and Goebert
- Shanahan's WCO has George Little

i'm not sure how McCarthy and personnel guys feel about Jarwin as the go to featured TE
but I do feel that featured TE will be key search in this draft,. if they are not feeling Jarwin.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I've felt, for some time now, that the West Coast Offense is one that should bring out the best in Dak, whatever that should be. :)
We shall see! It should, hopefully, augment his short and intermediate game and perhaps, maximize his long pass as well.:thumbup:

As we all understand, the WC offense is one that primarily accentuates the short game and renders the long ball as a surprise.

Last edited:

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So I have heard this mentioned several times by McCarthy.

I have watched the Packers bounce us out of the playoffs twice with it.

So what do you guys think about that aspect of the changing offense?

How does Dak fit that or will he struggle by having been in Linehan/Moore schemes?

Is it going to be obvious or a subtle change coming.?

We were lead to believe Moore had this profound change after Linehan was gone.

But I never saw much except we fell behind too often and had to throw to have any chance to stay in games.

Dak looked better but it was not due to design..it was due to have to.

So now West Coast?

Is this going to change anything?

Forum..check in.

Differing opinions welcome.

:huh:

Nope....just say YES Mike!

mike fisher ✭
@fishsports

·
5m

In a bit of a surprise:New #Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy suggests he’ll leave OC Kellen Moore in place as the play-caller and will leave Dallas terminology in place as well.

EOcBOV6WkAAKcmR

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Nope....just say YES Mike!

mike fisher ✭
@fishsports

·
5m

In a bit of a surprise:New #Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy suggests he’ll leave OC Kellen Moore in place as the play-caller and will leave Dallas terminology in place as well.

EOcBOV6WkAAKcmR
Hmm..

So something appealed to MM finally about something we did right.

Of course the originator of this terminology used by Moore must have been from Linehan.

Now that is scary. The guy still is in the background.

Yikes.

HotDog37

Reaction score
I dunno. I would have requested that Moore be gone if I was McCarthy and brought in my own guy and used my own terminology. Not just a culture change but a playbook terminology change. McCarthy always had what looked like a restaurant menu he holds and his headset was actually on and working and he used it (unlike Garrett). McCarthy's playday menu was always visible and fully colored like this.

If he doesn't use that anymore but uses JG "tucked in his pants" BS thing like this

Then folks we have a problem.