West Virginia QB Pat White may have options

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
West Virginia QB Pat White may have options
10:50 AM Thu, Apr 16, 2009 | Permalink
Rick Gosselin E-mail News tips

I remember the 1994 draft when electric-but-undersized Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Charlie Ward was coming out of Florida State. The word was if he wasn't a first-round NFL draft pick, he was going to play in the NBA. That year he wasn't a first-round NFL pick -- so he did sign with the NBA New York Knicks.

Pat White is another electrifying-but-undersized college quarterback from West Virginia in this draft. He also has a professional option in life. He has been selected three times in Major League Baseball drafts -- twice by the Angels and once by the Reds -- but continually turned down the money to play college football.

I asked him at the combine in March how difficult it was to say no to baseball.

"I really haven't said no," White said. "I've been focusing on my football career."

So baseball remains at least a back burner option for White (6-0, 197). Like Ward, he doesn't figure to be a first-round draft pick. But he does figure to be a premium selection (first three rounds). Ward went undrafted. White posted a 34-8 career record as West Virginia's starting quarterback and set an NCAA record for rushing yards at his position with 4,480. He also passed for 6,049 yards and 56 touchdowns.