WFAA Blog: Steelers Prepare for Cowboys With New Turf

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
3:00 PM Thu, Dec 04, 2008 | Permalink
David Marcus

The Steelers have taken a lot of ribbing for their horrible playing turf at Heinz Field, considered one of the NFL's worst. And with bad weather conditions expected on Sunday, the field could have turned into a muddy mess resembling Candlestick Park in its worst days.

Except, the Steelers decided to have none of it.

The team has installed a brand new grass turf at the stadium, and the Cowboys will be the first opponent to play on it. The turf will actually be laid right on top of the current surface at the stadium, so it should give more solid footing. However, that remains to be seen.

The Steelers are saying the new turf was necessary after the Pennsylvania High School State Championships ripped up the old one. I say that's baloney.

This is the biggest game of the year, maybe one of the biggest NFL games of the entire season. I doubt the Steelers wanted to face more league-wide ridicule about their playing surface, on national television for the country to see.

The Panch

Reaction score
I wouldnt be surprised if the field looked like it did against Miami and balls started tearing holes thru the field.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
The Panch;2461283 said:
I wouldnt be surprised if the field looked like it did against Miami and balls started tearing holes thru the field.

I agree. That game was horrible to watch. Talk about ugly.

Stomping on patch of sod that was pulled up and falling to pieces.

Ok boys - lets all gather around. Now what I want you to do here is just kick all this stuff into a pile and we will push it over here and fill in the big ugly hole.

There we go (stomp stomp), good as new.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2461267 said:
This is the biggest game of the year, maybe one of the biggest NFL games of the entire season. I doubt the Steelers wanted to face more league-wide ridicule about their playing surface, on national television for the country to see.

Not to split hairs, but if it's the biggest game of the year, wouldn't it also be the biggest NFL game of the entire season? :laugh2:

bigE79

Reaction score
The Panch;2461283 said:
+1...that field is a joke and what makes it worse is that its a newer stadiam and for the field to be constantly in bad shape falls back at how cheap rooney is:star:

bigE79

Reaction score
cowboys2233;2461294 said:
Not to split hairs, but if it's the biggest game of the year, wouldn't it also be the biggest NFL game of the entire season? :laugh2:
til next week:laugh2:

cowboyz

Reaction score
yup, this field is going to last until one drive, and the new sod is going to get torn up because it didn't grow roots.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
Why won't they put turf down...the new turf is sweet. In a place like that it does not make sense to keep grass...it's always a mess

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Portland Fanatic;2461393 said:
Why won't they put turf down...the new turf is sweet. In a place like that it does not make sense to keep grass...it's always a mess

That's what I've always thought. New England finally got it right at Gillette Stadium. For years they played on grass, but it never got as beat down as the surface at Heinz Field. And yet New England replaced their surface anyway.

The Steelers organization are fools for not replacing the grass.

DWhite Fan

It ain't over 'til it's over
Reaction score
Fletch;2461406 said:
That's what I've always thought. New England finally got it right at Gillette Stadium. For years they played on grass, but it never got as beat down as the surface at Heinz Field. And yet New England replaced their surface anyway.

The Steelers organization are fools for not replacing the grass.

I can just see the Cowboys ripping up strips of the field with their cleats....Y'all remember Dallas playing I think it was the Oilers in Azteca Stadium, Mexico City back in the nineties? I am afraid that is what Heniz Field will be like come Sunday :mad:

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
why doesnt the NFL just make all the teams spend the $1 million and install New Turf. It is about as soft as grass, doesn't get muddy, doesn't get divets, and looks downright nice.

Heck, even my high school has New Turf.