WFAA Blog: Wade Phillips sees CB, QB improving

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
3:45 PM Thu, Oct 23, 2008 | Permalink

Aaron Chimbel

Cowboys coach Wade Phillips knows this week matters, it's the difference between being 4-4 and 5-3.

"This is a big game for us," he said.

A win would come with Keith Davis starting at strong safety in place of Roy Williams, who is out for the year.

Linebacker Kevin Burnett will also play.

The coach contends there is good news, at least relatively speaking.

Phillips says rookie Mike Jenkins is showing improvement in place of starting corner Terence Newman and the suspended Adam "Pacman" Jones.

"He's getting better and better," said Phillips, who says Jenkins is having a good week of practice.

On the offensive side of the ball, Phillips hopes to see more from the Roy Williams who is playing, the new receiver.

"We'd like Roy Williams to be move involved in the passing game,"

Phillips says quarterback Brad Johnson is also doing a good job this week.

"Brad looks good," he said. "He threw some nice balls today, he's getting ready. He's a professional and works hard at it. He knows what the defense is trying to do and where to go with it."

The coach says the keys with any quarterback, especially a backup, are timing and tempo with the receiver. The more work Johnson gets, Phillips says, the more improvement we'll see.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
I would hope that #11, #81 and Johnson are putting in the extra time to give this game half a chance. Red better be working Choice too. We have "some" options, need to work at it.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
yep thats a big key, the players must put in extra time, even after practice like brad should stay out on the field and throw some balls to Roy Williams

the defense should stay later too and work on stopping the run

jenkins needs to work with T O about an extra 30 minutes after practice, covering,

do those things and you might have a chance

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
the offensive line need to hit that sled over and over too, get that slobber smash type football attitude back

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2370221 said:
Phillips says rookie Mike Jenkins is showing improvement in place of starting corner Terence Newman and the suspended Adam "Pacman" Jones.

"He's getting better and better," said Phillips, who says Jenkins is having a good week of practice.
Sounds like blowing smoke to me. /shurg

WoodysGirl;2370221 said:
Phillips says quarterback Brad Johnson is also doing a good job this week.

"Brad looks good," he said. "He threw some nice balls today, he's getting ready. He's a professional and works hard at it. He knows what the defense is trying to do and where to go with it."
Sounds like the same thing he said last week before Johnson became road kill because of the offensive line. Wonder why he made no comment about the offensive line. That doesn't bode well for Brad.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
wade says this every week.

then after the Bucs hang 40 on us and Brad only mounts up 9 points then Wade will blame himself.

cowboyspride

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;2370279 said:
Wade trying to sell tickets?
Haha,It all sounds very good with the positive developments.
I just hope Brad Johnson can play up to his best on the day, so it should be enough to go, guys. We need this victory and we'll get it!

Go Cowboys! :starspin

thewireman

Reaction score
Its always the same standard talk from Wade. I don't believe anything I hear from that man anymore

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I hope Garrett and Gurode are on the same page with max protection. With only TO, it was difficult to max protect, but with TO and Roy, assuming Roy is ready to go, we have to max protect and trust one of these guys to get open with the TE or RB releasing late.

aikemirv

Reaction score
utrunner07;2370317 said:
What was it?

Much better against the run - but your eyes must be closed I guess.

Really no difference in coverage either.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
aikemirv;2370341 said:
Much better against the run - but your eyes must be closed I guess.

Really no difference in coverage either.

Roy it a bit more intelligent than Davis to boot.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Everybody is improving fellas.:rolleyes:

We need a man not a mouse running this ship!!:whip:

smoovb

Reaction score
Wade Phillips can dodge bullets better than Keanu Reeves did in The Matrix. I would like for him to explain how we are going to avoid 3rd and long conversions against our defense. More so, I would love it if he were to explain what improvements have been made so our o-line can open up TB's defense like that iceberg did on the Titanic so Marion can run the ball.

khiladi

Reaction score
smoovb;2370409 said:
Wade Phillips can dodge bullets better than Keanu Reeves did in The Matrix. I would like for him to explain how we are going to avoid 3rd and long conversions against our defense. More so, I would love it if he were to explain what improvements have been made so our o-line is going to open up TB's defense like that iceberg did on the Titanic so Marion can run the ball.

Fo Sho...

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
smoovb;2370409 said:
Wade Phillips can dodge bullets better than Keanu Reeves did in The Matrix. I would like for him to explain how we are going to avoid 3rd and long conversions against our defense. More so, I would love it if he were to explain what improvements have been made so our o-line is going to open up TB's defense like that iceberg did on the Titanic so Marion can run the ball.

Nah, he tries but fails miserably. I think thats one of the reason people get so upset with him. He tries to dodges everything instead of facing the issues and taking the due criticism. He protects the *******s instead of exposing them.

When a guy is working hard, but just isn't getting the job done. Thats one thing and a reason to protect him. When a player/coach is doing a half-*** job, YOU become the ******* for protecting him.

A man should face the error in his own decisions. Don't protect him.