WFAA Blog: Which unsung Cowboy might emerge as this year's Thanksgiving hero?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thanksgiving Brings Out Unlikely Heroes

4:57 PM Mon, Nov 24, 2008 | Permalink
David Marcus

As certain as turkey and stuffing on Thanksgiving Day, an unlikely hero will emerge at Texas Stadium for the Cowboys. It's just tradition. It's what we've come to expect.

The long list of unsung stars on Turkey Day for the Boyz could fill a small novel: Clint Longley, Jason Garrett, Bernie Kosar, Lincoln Coleman. Of course, the "usual suspects" also had big games...the likes of Emmitt Smith and Troy Aikman, but I think fans hold a special place in their hearts for the unlikeliest of holiday heroes.

Which unsung Cowboy might emerge as this year's Turkey Terror?

Pick # 1: Tashard Choice. With the lowly Seahawks being the opponent, figure on Marion Barber perhaps not needing to churn out his usual workhorse numbers on the ground, particularly if Dallas grabs a big early lead. Wade Phillips may turn to Choice and give him an opportunity to get some much-needed carries in games that matter.

Pick #2: Roy Williams. Ok, this isn't exactly a sleeper pick, being that Roy doesn't exactly fly under the radar as one of the more talented receivers in the game. But you see him starting to become more involved in the offense, especially now that Tony Romo is playing with more confidence after recovering from that broken pinkie. Will T-O be able to tolerate it if Roy steals his thunder on Turkey Day?

Pick #3: Tony Curtis. With Jason Witten hurting, conventional wisdom says Martellus Bennett continues to benefit with more looks. But can't you just see Curtis snagging a couple of red zone scores in this game? Hey, on Thanksgiving, it seems anyone can be a star.

Borrowing a line from Jean-Jacques Taylor, here's a shameless plug of our own: Tune in to KFWD, channel 52 at 6:30 on Thanksgiving Day. Former Cowboy Eugene Lockhart will join me in studio for a live postgame wrap on the Cowboys/Seahawks game and we'll take your phone calls as well. We'll also check in on Wade Phillip's postgame presser, to put you in a good mood while you digest your turkey and stuffing.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Being that TO was "unleashed" Sunday... I think it would be safe in Dallas if Roy had his "homecoming" game ;)

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Anthony Spencer cause he will literally saw Matt Hassleback in half when he hits him.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Rampage;2441643 said:
Anthony Spencer cause he will literally saw Matt Hassleback in half when he hits him.

Might draw a flag.....

followed by a fine later :D

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
YoMick;2441646 said:
Might draw a flag.....

followed by a fine later :D
If Spencer did that I would chip in on the fine. KILL DEFENSE! KILL!

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Rampage;2441651 said:
If Spencer did that I would chip in on the fine. KILL DEFENSE! KILL!

Now YOU AND I both know that Spencer's favorite target is probably SHELI Manning... ;)

Save your money for THAT game :laugh2:

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I expect Choice. Not b/c he'll make a huge contribution but because we'll trash the Hawks early and he'll have a ton of garbage time carries.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I want to say Roy Williams simply cause of the game that TO had Sunday but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Sunday started one of those 3-5 game runs that TO has where he's just off the charts good. Like he was in the month of November last year.

But with that said I'll say Roy just because I like the guy a lot and i'd love to see him have a break out game in front of the home crowd.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Choice will get in the endzone Thursday...:a-team: