What’s with Malik Hooker?

fivetwos

Reaction score
I remember him at Ohio St and with the Colts as a playmaker that couldn’t stay on the field.

He seems to have shed his inability to avoid injury, but also seems to be non existent as far as making the plays he once did.

Is it the scheme? Is he playing differently? Did the injury change his game?

RonWashington

Reaction score
I remember him at Ohio St and with the Colts as a playmaker that couldn’t stay on the field.

He seems to have shed his inability to avoid injury, but also seems to be non existent as far as making the plays he once did.

On these deep balls ( Watson over Brown for example ) the closest safety is nowhere in view ? Wilson & Kearse are at least in the vicinity on run stops would like to see Hooker somewhere on these long passes Brown in particular needs support . Mukuamu had a stellar pre season and has pretty much been forgotten . Marquise Bell ?

Mr_437

Reaction score
I'm not concerned about Hooker as he's been involved in run support more than I thought he would. Early in the season he was single high and deep, idk what they have him doing now. I feel he still has playmaking ability.

I think Mukuamu helps add more coverage to the Safety position, and Kearse hasn't really made the plays he was making last season. Dono hasn't been as dynamic since Kearse came back, I like Dynamic Dono.

Creeper

Reaction score
On these deep balls ( Watson over Brown for example ) the closest safety is nowhere in view ? Wilson & Kearse are at least in the vicinity on run stops would like to see Hooker somewhere on these long passes Brown in particular needs support . Mukuamu had a stellar pre season and has pretty much been forgotten . Marquise Bell ?

Maybe that long pass was thrown because the safety was somewhere else and had he been in the area Rodgers would have thrown it somewhere else?

Hooker has been pretty steady for most of the season according to PFF. I admit the last couple of game he has not quite as good.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
I'm not concerned about Hooker as he's been involved in run support more than I thought he would. Early in the season he was single high and deep, idk what they have him doing now. I feel he still has playmaking ability.

I think Mukuamu helps add more coverage to the Safety position, and Kearse hasn't really made the plays he was making last season. Dono hasn't been as dynamic since Kearse came back, I like Dynamic Dono.

Philly started the trend of how to beat the Boys run defense and semi neutralize Parsons. Hooker, and others have been brought in to provide run support, but to me the goal has been to get the QB and that has opened up the outside runs.

Used to be under other D’s we played deeper and tightened up as they got to the 30 forcing field goals.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

He is one of the higher rated safeties in the league this yr. Yes, played poorly last week, but was coming back from a hamstring injury

RonWashington

Reaction score
Maybe that long pass was thrown because the safety was somewhere else and had he been in the area Rodgers would have thrown it somewhere else?

Hooker has been pretty steady for most of the season according to PFF. I admit the last couple of game he has not quite as good.

I thought of that . Normally Brown has been been steady this year but Watson burned him on that play . Have not heard if Brown passed concussion protocol or not the Vikings will test whoever is opposite Diggs . Like to see Hooker cheating over to the # 3 side of the field not 7.

blueblood70

Reaction score
many of those plays of late given our run issues have out safety's closer to the box and guys 1-1 on the outside, the run defense is effecting the pass defense, A LOT!

Carson

Reaction score
He was garbage last week.

He was the reason Brown and Bland looked bad on those touchdown passes. Those were on Hooker, not them.
I agree. But on the 4th and 7 he was single high safety. He had a bunch to his left and Watson streaked right. It’s very hard to defend that much field when it’s Rodgers or a QB with time

RonWashington

Reaction score
many of those plays of late given our run issues have out safety's closer to the box and guys 1-1 on the outside, the run defense is effecting the pass defense, A LOT!

That’s a great point but with either Kearse or Wilson on the field I don’t need Malik Hooker near the box I need him in center field .

blueblood70

Reaction score
That’s a great point but with either Kearse or Wilson on the field I don’t need Malik Hooker near the box I need him in center field .
ASK DQ... im just saying hard top play man with 1 single high safety etc that has to cover that much ground and choose who to help KJ or Bland., Lewis and Brown aren't great but are far better then KJ and Bland. most hate on those guys a lot.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
I agree. But on the 4th and 7 he was single high safety. He had a bunch to his left and Watson streaked right. It’s very hard to defend that much field when it’s Rodgers or a QB with time

We very rarely bunch receivers, looks like we are bunching Tight Ends.

RonWashington

Reaction score
ASK DQ... im just saying hard top play man with 1 single high safety etc that has to cover that much ground and choose who to help KJ or Bland., Lewis and Brown aren't great but are far better then KJ and Bland. most hate on those guys a lot.

I think alot of both Brown and Lewis . The Lewis injury is showing up .

fivetwos

Reaction score
He is one of the higher rated safeties in the league this yr. Yes, played poorly last week, but was coming back from a hamstring injury
Kind of why I was asking in the OP.

PFF is all over the map but I thought there might be some metric that defies the eye test, or someone that saw something that I haven’t.

At any rate he isn’t the playmaker he once was, but I don’t know if scheme is a big part of that vs maybe being a tick slower due to Achilles.

We all recall Kevin Smith pre and post Achilles injuries.

Gonzomandela01

Reaction score
Safetys are biting on the run, thats why the long plays have been succesful, you stop the run and everything else will get better