What’s with Malik Hooker?

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I'm not concerned about Hooker as he's been involved in run support more than I thought he would. Early in the season he was single high and deep, idk what they have him doing now. I feel he still has playmaking ability.

I think Mukuamu helps add more coverage to the Safety position, and Kearse hasn't really made the plays he was making last season. Dono hasn't been as dynamic since Kearse came back, I like Dynamic Dono.

So why not go back to single high? For me the whole issue on this defense is that we're using players to try and become all things, rather than concentrate on what they do best. Why are we using Hooker for run Defense, why when we can't defend the run are we using Nickel defense and allowing LVE and Micah to get wiped out as we field DT's and DE's that look as if they play every down as a pass rush.

I dont profess to know the nuances of the game, but a basic read is that:
a) Diggs is a ball hawk
b) As mentioned here....Hooker isnt seen on any of the long Watson/Brown/Hooker receptions
c) Could it be that Rodgers was waiting for Watson to be in single coverage, and only threw to him when he had that match up (he did keep going to him even after the first two drops).
d) One side of the field needs protection, whilst we would love the ball thrown in the direction of Diggs....surely you play Hooker deep and edging CB2.
e) If we are hoping to defend the run, dont use Nickel where the first sign of down field motion leaves us with two LB's.
d) Dumb it down and do the basics....earn the right to pass-rush.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Rodgers knew pre snap that brown was 1 on 1. Some teams know how to design such plays based on alignments and wr routes. If you only watch the cowboys you wouldnt know that.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Rodgers knew pre snap that brown was 1 on 1. Some teams know how to design such plays based on alignments and wr routes. If you only watch the cowboys you wouldnt know that.
Last time I told a posters about what other teams do they told me they don’t care about what other teams do. I knew then we were dealing with some strange characters. If you don’t watch the other teams how can you even gauge the Cowboys?

Carson

Reaction score
Malik Hooker has been a valuable addition to the defensive backfield, despite his injury. It occurs with many others. He'll be back. :huh:
Kearse, Wilson and Hooker have been pretty non existent the last few weeks. One of the main reasons we have struggled

visionary

Reaction score
Kearse, Wilson and Hooker have been pretty non existent the last few weeks. One of the main reasons we have struggled

there is a reason most defenses don’t play 3 safeties

you can get run on esp if you have slop at DT and MLB

what is our problem again?

yeah, I thought so

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score

yeah, I thought so
There is a reason most teams don't play three safeties. You can get run on especially if you have run stopping slop at DT, DE, and LB. What is our problem again?

SLOPPING the run...!!!

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
He's the least of our worries right now.

The defense is giving up like 200 yards a game against the run....
Its a trend. 32 games this year has had 200yds rushing. It's not just Dallas.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score

I'm having hope for them to recover ASAP, to lend a hand in our defense returning to form.

If not, we'll just have to hope for the best on "D." We're struggling with injuries at this point.

Carson

Reaction score

yeah, I thought so
Exactly. The DEs and DTs and safeties in the box aren’t working

DuceizBak

Reaction score
As bad as our run game was it's not the run that did us in (it certainly doesn't help) ..it was the chunk plays through the air.

On that 4th and 7 I would have rushed 3 (Micah, Sam Williams and Tank) and dropped 8 into coverage.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So why not go back to single high? For me the whole issue on this defense is that we're using players to try and become all things, rather than concentrate on what they do best. Why are we using Hooker for run Defense, why when we can't defend the run are we using Nickel defense and allowing LVE and Micah to get wiped out as we field DT's and DE's that look as if they play every down as a pass rush.

I dont profess to know the nuances of the game, but a basic read is that:
a) Diggs is a ball hawk
b) As mentioned here....Hooker isnt seen on any of the long Watson/Brown/Hooker receptions
c) Could it be that Rodgers was waiting for Watson to be in single coverage, and only threw to him when he had that match up (he did keep going to him even after the first two drops).
d) One side of the field needs protection, whilst we would love the ball thrown in the direction of Diggs....surely you play Hooker deep and edging CB2.
e) If we are hoping to defend the run, dont use Nickel where the first sign of down field motion leaves us with two LB's.
d) Dumb it down and do the basics....earn the right to pass-rush.
-They give Diggs more deep help than Brown (Joseph vs Packer).
- That allows Diggs to play the ball hawk style.

The TD with Watson moving from right to left was vs zone coverage. Joseph passed him off to Hooker but Hooker was late and couldn't make up the difference vs the 4.36 forty Watson.

Yes, no deep help on the 1st TD by Watson with Brown in coverage. Hooker on the opposite side of the field.

If the slot WR is on Diggs side the FS moves to that side of the field leaving Brown (Joseph) 1 on 1 on the other side.

If the slot WR is on the side with Brown (Joseph), the FS plays in the center of the field (i.e. split the difference between helping Diggs and helping the Nickel CB).

They offset it to some extent by giving Diggs and the Nickel CB more run contain responsibilities than Brown (Joseph).

The often play the most snaps in Big Nickel (3 safety sets) with Kearse playing LB. It is half way between a Nickel CB or 3rd LB.

When you see Parsons, LVE and Clark on the field together it is.with Parsons at DE not LB.
- i.e. Only 3 DL plus Parsons as the 4th).

My opinion is that they should play 3 true LBs with Clark in the LB role that Kearse has been playing. Clark is faster than Kearse and over 20 pounds heavier.
- Kearse would then play SS.
- Wilson could play FS on run downs.