What 2nd year player makes the leap? (Question 19 of 20)

JBS

Reaction score
You are referring to Smith I assume.
Certainly they are going to give the first round pick the shot at G.
I meant Ball might come in & provide competition at T. Keep Steele on his toes and perhaps be the swing tackle with a chance to start down the road. Having a young guy with upside would give us options.
Smith wasn’t drafted late. Not smith. The other guy.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
gary-oldman-leon-the-professional.gif

DanA

Reaction score
I think there's a fair bit of hope for most of the list:
  • Parsons: It's hard to imagine much better performances but he could rush a bit more and I thought got better and better in coverage and diagnosing the run as the season wore on
  • Joseph: He flashed potential with some strong statistical performances as a backup, Offseason aside, he's not lacking in potential.
  • Odigizuwa: He started on fire last season but seemed to hit a rookie wall. He's the obvious choice for a big leap coming back bigger, stronger, and in better condition.
  • Golston: Has reportedly gained 20lbs and moved inside. He had a solid rookie campaign and could take a leap playing a Crawford type role.
  • Ball: He missed all last season, it's feasible he makes the jump to swing tackle but not sure there is much basis for improvement other than being a second year player
  • Wright: He flashed on Special Teams last season with some high profile good and bad plays. He was a bit lost on defense though so it's hard to see him progressing to starter. I'm expecting him to be core ST guy and better backup on D
  • Cox: Had that one big play out of very limited snaps before ACL injury. I think he was building to a bigger role last season and am hopeful he'll make that leap this season
  • Fehoko: He was well off the pace last season, looks bigger and in better condition, he's getting a lot of reps this off-season so hopefully he can find a bigger ST/backup receiver role
  • Bohanna: He actually played quite a bit last season and was okay for a rookie. You'd expect 2nd year strength/conditioning improvement but he's also facing more competition (Ridgeway) so will need to take a leap just to stay in last seasons role
  • Mukuamu: He stood out in pre-season games last season as a solid versatile coverage safety but was lacking a bit of physicality. His movement looked smooth for a tall guy and I could see a Byron Jones (rookie season) type role if he does make a leap
  • Farniok: He looked pretty decent in his one start last season and is getting praise from coaching staff for working hard this off-season. He bigger and a better athlete than Badiasz but would still be the underdog as a former 7th round pick
I'm expecting most of them to making the normal 2nd year improvement but in terms of sizable leap the obvious ones are Odigi and Golston because of how they've changed their body this off-season and already having decent but not godly (Micah) rookie performances. Joseph would also be on the list but I'll hold off on that one after the off-season. Cox another but ACL recovery while not what it used to be still might slow his progress.

conner01

Reaction score
I think the answer might be no one. But I have a feeling if Kelvin Joseph can play this year, he is going to surprise some people. The only question is going to be if he gets a chance, which may mean an injury to someone else.

The dark horse is Josh Ball.
That’s one we really need
Depth at OT is scary

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the answer might be no one. But I have a feeling if Kelvin Joseph can play this year, he is going to surprise some people. The only question is going to be if he gets a chance, which may mean an injury to someone else.

The dark horse is Josh Ball.
Kelvin Joseph is likely going to miss quite a few games this year when the NFL hands down its decision on his involvement in the shooting earlier this year. He could also very well be facing charges from the Dallas DA. Sometimes the wheels of justice move slowly and KJ made some trouble that he’s not out of yet.

This guy has first round talent but has been very slow to stop his association with some very bad people. It’s why a lot of teams wouldn’t touch him in the draft. I hope he’s learned something and changed his ways. But I’m doubtful that he will see a lot of game action this year.

Creeper

Reaction score
Kelvin Joseph is likely going to miss quite a few games this year when the NFL hands down its decision on his involvement in the shooting earlier this year. He could also very well be facing charges from the Dallas DA. Sometimes the wheels of justice move slowly and KJ made some trouble that he’s not out of yet.

This guy has first round talent but has been very slow to stop his association with some very bad people. It’s why a lot of teams wouldn’t touch him in the draft. I hope he’s learned something and changed his ways. But I’m doubtful that he will see a lot of game action this year.

I don't disagree, but we really do not know much about his case at all. There has been little news about the case, his involvement in the shooting, and the status of the NFL investigation, if any. I understand justice moves slowly sometimes, but I think if the police were going to charge him, we would have heard something by now. I am wondering if he, and others in the car, cut a deal with the DA to escape charges in exchange for their testimony against the shooters.

In any case, if he gets a chance to play, I do think he will be a surprise contributor in 2022. Also, if he is suspended, I do not think it will be more than a few games, maybe 5 at most. This is based only on what I know today, which is not much.

Motorola

Reaction score
Osa .. is my pick ..i have to go with guys that got that significant game experience and impressed when they did,..
Great offseason program, valuable game experience, Quinn scheme should do great wonders for him. .

- Cox only got 8 reps before an ACL ended his rookie year, so experience wise he'll be a re-rookie again to a great extent.
- Joseph has his issues, and likely be facing suspension so he's outta question.
- Izzy (Israel) was inactive or special teams only, so experience not on his side.
- Bohanna was pure JAG; it would have to be massive turnaround surprise.
- i have doubts that Basham even makes the team.
- Wright barely played D", mostly special teams work- Just didn't see him enuff.
- Golston would have to a surprise too. I'm still not sure of his role and fit post weight gain
Not totally outta question
- Ball missed the season, so he's starting from scratch too. Still an unknown.

Offense - i would love to say a Simi or Vashar at WR, but that's a far stretch with zero game experience on offense.
All will get their chance - starting in three weeks.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think there's a fair bit of hope for most of the list:
  • Parsons: It's hard to imagine much better performances but he could rush a bit more and I thought got better and better in coverage and diagnosing the run as the season wore on
  • Joseph: He flashed potential with some strong statistical performances as a backup, Offseason aside, he's not lacking in potential.
  • Odigizuwa: He started on fire last season but seemed to hit a rookie wall. He's the obvious choice for a big leap coming back bigger, stronger, and in better condition.
  • Golston: Has reportedly gained 20lbs and moved inside. He had a solid rookie campaign and could take a leap playing a Crawford type role.
  • Ball: He missed all last season, it's feasible he makes the jump to swing tackle but not sure there is much basis for improvement other than being a second year player
  • Wright: He flashed on Special Teams last season with some high profile good and bad plays. He was a bit lost on defense though so it's hard to see him progressing to starter. I'm expecting him to be core ST guy and better backup on D
  • Cox: Had that one big play out of very limited snaps before ACL injury. I think he was building to a bigger role last season and am hopeful he'll make that leap this season
  • Fehoko: He was well off the pace last season, looks bigger and in better condition, he's getting a lot of reps this off-season so hopefully he can find a bigger ST/backup receiver role
  • Bohanna: He actually played quite a bit last season and was okay for a rookie. You'd expect 2nd year strength/conditioning improvement but he's also facing more competition (Ridgeway) so will need to take a leap just to stay in last seasons role
  • Mukuamu: He stood out in pre-season games last season as a solid versatile coverage safety but was lacking a bit of physicality. His movement looked smooth for a tall guy and I could see a Byron Jones (rookie season) type role if he does make a leap
  • Farniok: He looked pretty decent in his one start last season and is getting praise from coaching staff for working hard this off-season. He bigger and a better athlete than Badiasz but would still be the underdog as a former 7th round pick
I'm expecting most of them to making the normal 2nd year improvement but in terms of sizable leap the obvious ones are Odigi and Golston because of how they've changed their body this off-season and already having decent but not godly (Micah) rookie performances. Joseph would also be on the list but I'll hold off on that one after the off-season. Cox another but ACL recovery while not what it used to be still might slow his progress.

Excellent breakdown!

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Smith wasn’t drafted late. Not smith. The other guy.
Ahhh, Woletzko. What makes you say he has surpassed Ball? I did a quick search & didn't see anything .... but I have been less engaged than previous years.

Reactions: JBS

JBS

Reaction score
Ahhh, Woletzko. What makes you say he has surpassed Ball? I did a quick search & didn't see anything .... but I have been less engaged than previous years.
Report came out that in mini camp he was getting all the snaps ahead of ball

Pass2Run

Reaction score

Doubtful. There's really not much possibility he gets arrested.

Not sure what the league will do, but they dont' have much to stand on either.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Those all in on J. Cox, did you actually watch him play at LSU? They tried to reward him for making plays and he continued to be a problem as a 3 down starting LB.

He was that feast/famine player because he could make plays and give them up when they started him. He is a situational player until proven otherwise.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Wright is the guy that steps up. he flashed some skills last year on ST. While bossman is making music videos Wright is working on the 1 thing that will earn him some money and it'll show when he gets an opportunity.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Those all in on J. Cox, did you actually watch him play at LSU? They tried to reward him for making plays and he continued to be a problem as a 3 down starting LB.

He was that feast/famine player because he could make plays and give them up when they started him. He is a situational player until proven otherwise.
That is exactly how he played in the preseason also.

Feast or famine.